    flash gun?

    --
    http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
    Richard Kettlewell, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Richard Kettlewell

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:35:13 GMT, Richard Kettlewell
    <> wrote:

    >I have a 420EX speedlight that I use with my 350D. I'm mostly pleased
    >with it but there is one occasional problem I've experienced.
    >
    >Sometimes when I rotate the head (in either axis) the flash indicator
    >in the viewfinder disappears, and the flash does not fire when I press
    >the shutter. If I press the test-fire button on the flash, it does
    >fire.
    >
    >Occasionally power-cycling both camera and flash restores the flash
    >indicator but more often than not I have to detach and reattach.
    >

    >Is it possible I'm doing something wrong, or do I just have a duff
    >flash gun?

    Possibly, there's a connection gone bad; the fact that it happens
    after you rotate the head would indicate this.
    The removal/replacement can make the connection again, and you indicat
    that it doesn't always do so, re-inforcing this opinion.
    I'd either return it (if possible), or see about a repair/replacement.
    Good luck!
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Bill Funk <> writes:

    >>Occasionally power-cycling both camera and flash restores the flash
    >>indicator but more often than not I have to detach and reattach.

    >Possibly, there's a connection gone bad; the fact that it happens
    >after you rotate the head would indicate this.
    >The removal/replacement can make the connection again, and you indicat
    >that it doesn't always do so, re-inforcing this opinion.
    >I'd either return it (if possible), or see about a repair/replacement.

    Also make sure that the contacts on the foot of the flash and in the hot
    shoe of the camera are clean. When you rotate the head, you may be
    slightly twisting the flash in the shoe and disturbing those contacts.
    This likely isn't the problem, but these contacts are a whole lot easier
    to check and clean first, compared to internal wiring inside the flash.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jul 21, 2006
  4. (Dave Martindale) writes:
    > Also make sure that the contacts on the foot of the flash and in the hot
    > shoe of the camera are clean. When you rotate the head, you may be
    > slightly twisting the flash in the shoe and disturbing those contacts.

    I think you are right - holding the flash body steady while rotating
    the head seems to solve it, as does pushing the flash body back
    slightly after moving the head. Thankyou!

    --
    http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
    Richard Kettlewell, Jul 22, 2006