fault with PowerShor G3. erratic and slow ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cory Seligman, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Hi group,

    I've got a secondhand PowerShot G3 (so no warranty etc etc) that has
    developed a weird interemittent fault.

    Sometimes it works fine, and when it does, it performs brilliantly.
    But other times it works for a few shots and then gets stuck. It fails
    to recognise button presses, sometimes zooms in and out randomly,
    takes photos seconds to minutes after the shutter button is pressed,
    and on the whole, misbehaves badly.

    I thought that the problem might be caused by one of the buttons being
    stuck down, so I opened it up, and checked out most of the buttons I
    could get access to, and they all seem to operate ok. The opening and
    re-assembling process prompted it to behave itself for a while, but
    now it's stuffed again.

    Sometimes it seems like the camera is responding to all the button
    presses, but 20 seconds too late, but this could just be an illusion.

    I've tried taking the battery out overnight and reformatting the
    memory card, but no go.

    Is this a known fault? Is it likely to be fixable at a reasonable
    cost?

    any ideas?

    thanks in advance,
    Cory