    questions, but you have to have windows up & running to see the code.
    If it won't boot, you don't see the code. Damn idiots!

    Bob
    Bob, Jul 30, 2006

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I have a computer with 2ea. 40gb hard drives, configured as master &
    > slave, formatted as FAT32, and running WIN98SE. I'm trying to load XP
    > Home Upgrade. XP instructions state that HD's over 32gb must run NTFS,
    > but setup would ask permission before converting FAT32 to NTFS. It
    > didn't ask, so I assumed it didn't convert. But after loading the OS,
    > XP freezes at startup. I can come up in DOS, but not windows. Could
    > this problem be associated with the file structure?
    > Microsoft support wants the product code before it will answer
    > questions, but you have to have windows up & running to see the code.
    > If it won't boot, you don't see the code. Damn idiots!
    >
    > Bob

    Disregard , I got it working. Their note that "HD's over 32gb must use
    the NTFS file system" is bull. Both the 40gb's are using FAT32 just
    fine.

    Bob
    Bob, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Bob

    VWWall Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >> I have a computer with 2ea. 40gb hard drives, configured as master &
    >> slave, formatted as FAT32, and running WIN98SE. I'm trying to load XP
    >> Home Upgrade. XP instructions state that HD's over 32gb must run NTFS,
    >> but setup would ask permission before converting FAT32 to NTFS. It
    >> didn't ask, so I assumed it didn't convert. But after loading the OS,
    >> XP freezes at startup. I can come up in DOS, but not windows. Could
    >> this problem be associated with the file structure?
    >> Microsoft support wants the product code before it will answer
    >> questions, but you have to have windows up & running to see the code.
    >> If it won't boot, you don't see the code. Damn idiots!
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Disregard , I got it working. Their note that "HD's over 32gb must use
    > the NTFS file system" is bull. Both the 40gb's are using FAT32 just
    > fine.

    WindowsXP will work with a FAT32 formatted drive of a size up to FAT32's
    limit. You can not format a FAT32 dive in WindowsXP over 32GB. This
    was to encourage the use of NTFS for larger partitions.

    I have a 68GB FAT32 partition which I use as a scratch/storage area on a
    system multi-booting WindowsXP and Linux. It works with both OS's!

    ==
    Virg Wall
    VWWall, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    VWWall wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    > > Bob wrote:
    > >> I have a computer with 2ea. 40gb hard drives, configured as master &
    > >> slave, formatted as FAT32, and running WIN98SE. I'm trying to load XP
    > >> Home Upgrade. XP instructions state that HD's over 32gb must run NTFS,
    > >> but setup would ask permission before converting FAT32 to NTFS. It
    > >> didn't ask, so I assumed it didn't convert. But after loading the OS,
    > >> XP freezes at startup. I can come up in DOS, but not windows. Could
    > >> this problem be associated with the file structure?
    > >> Microsoft support wants the product code before it will answer
    > >> questions, but you have to have windows up & running to see the code.
    > >> If it won't boot, you don't see the code. Damn idiots!
    > >>
    > >> Bob

    > > Disregard , I got it working. Their note that "HD's over 32gb must use
    > > the NTFS file system" is bull. Both the 40gb's are using FAT32 just
    > > fine.

    > WindowsXP will work with a FAT32 formatted drive of a size up to FAT32's
    > limit. You can not format a FAT32 dive in WindowsXP over 32GB. This
    > was to encourage the use of NTFS for larger partitions.
    >
    > I have a 68GB FAT32 partition which I use as a scratch/storage area on a
    > system multi-booting WindowsXP and Linux. It works with both OS's!
    >
    > ==
    > Virg Wall

    That explains it. Thanks.
    Bob, Aug 1, 2006
  5. Bob

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "VWWall" <> wrote in message
    > Bob wrote:
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>> I have a computer with 2ea. 40gb hard drives, configured as master &
    >>> slave, formatted as FAT32, and running WIN98SE. I'm trying to load XP
    >>> Home Upgrade. XP instructions state that HD's over 32gb must run NTFS,
    >>> but setup would ask permission before converting FAT32 to NTFS. It
    >>> didn't ask, so I assumed it didn't convert. But after loading the OS,
    >>> XP freezes at startup. I can come up in DOS, but not windows. Could
    >>> this problem be associated with the file structure?
    >>> Microsoft support wants the product code before it will answer
    >>> questions, but you have to have windows up & running to see the code.
    >>> If it won't boot, you don't see the code. Damn idiots!
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> Disregard , I got it working. Their note that "HD's over 32gb must use
    >> the NTFS file system" is bull. Both the 40gb's are using FAT32 just
    >> fine.

    > WindowsXP will work with a FAT32 formatted drive of a size up to FAT32's
    > limit. You can not format a FAT32 dive in WindowsXP over 32GB. This was
    > to encourage the use of NTFS for larger partitions.

    But there's a workaround for this:

    http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm

    Mark Mandell, Aug 1, 2006
  6. Bob

    VWWall Guest

    Mark Mandell wrote:
    > "VWWall" <> wrote in message

    >> WindowsXP will work with a FAT32 formatted drive of a size up to FAT32's
    >> limit. You can not format a FAT32 dive in WindowsXP over 32GB. This was
    >> to encourage the use of NTFS for larger partitions.

    > But there's a workaround for this:
    >
    > http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm
    >> I have a 68GB FAT32 partition which I use as a scratch/storage area on a
    >> system multi-booting WindowsXP and Linux. It works with both OS's!

    Once you've got the partition set up and formatted you can put WinXP on
    it. You can even put WinXP on an extended partition, either FAT32 or
    NTSF. I don't see any advantage of having the OS on FAT32. Linux and
    DOS have problems writing to NTSF, so it makes sense to have a FAT32
    partition. Yeah, I know there are DOS programs that read/write NTSF.

    --
    Virg Wall
    VWWall, Aug 1, 2006
  7. Bob

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "VWWall" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Mandell wrote:
    >> "VWWall" <> wrote in message

    >>> WindowsXP will work with a FAT32 formatted drive of a size up to FAT32's
    >>> limit. You can not format a FAT32 dive in WindowsXP over 32GB. This
    >>> was to encourage the use of NTFS for larger partitions.

    >> But there's a workaround for this:
    >>
    >> http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm
    >>> I have a 68GB FAT32 partition which I use as a scratch/storage area on a
    >>> system multi-booting WindowsXP and Linux. It works with both OS's!

    > Once you've got the partition set up and formatted you can put WinXP on
    > it. You can even put WinXP on an extended partition, either FAT32 or
    > NTSF. I don't see any advantage of having the OS on FAT32.

    I don't either since NTFS is a more robust system anyway.

    Mark Mandell, Aug 1, 2006