    new computer if I configure it in NTFS?

    Regards,,

    Paul

    paulkr, Feb 18, 2004

  2. paulkr

    Unk Guest

    On 17 Feb 2004 22:41:27 -0800, (paulkr) wrote:

    >I am about to take possession of a new computer. I know one of the
    >questions that will be asked is what system I wish to use FAT32 or
    >NTFS. From what I have read it seems to be that the NTFS option is
    >the best to go for.
    >
    >My question is; I have previously been using FAT32. I have an
    >external 8-GB hrad drive. Will the files on this unit work OK on the
    >new computer if I configure it in NTFS?

    Yes.
    All about NTFS File System: http://www.NTFS.com

    Unk, Feb 18, 2004

  3. paulkr

    tutsi Guest

    On 17 Feb 2004 22:41:27 -0800, (paulkr) wrote:

    >I am about to take possession of a new computer. I know one of the
    >questions that will be asked is what system I wish to use FAT32 or
    >NTFS. From what I have read it seems to be that the NTFS option is
    >the best to go for.
    >
    >My question is; I have previously been using FAT32. I have an
    >external 8-GB hrad drive. Will the files on this unit work OK on the
    >new computer if I configure it in NTFS?
    >
    >Regards,,
    >
    >Paul

    Yes they will...................first move the files to the new drive,
    then format the old and convert it to NTFS.I did mine two weeks ago.

    tutsi, Feb 18, 2004
  4. paulkr

    Travis S. Guest

    Really depends on OS you plan to use or what you plan on using the system
    for.

    Travis S., Feb 18, 2004
  5. paulkr

    Derek F Guest

    "tutsi" <> wrote in message
    > On 17 Feb 2004 22:41:27 -0800, (paulkr) wrote:
    >
    > >I am about to take possession of a new computer. I know one of the
    > >questions that will be asked is what system I wish to use FAT32 or
    > >NTFS. From what I have read it seems to be that the NTFS option is
    > >the best to go for.
    > >
    > >My question is; I have previously been using FAT32. I have an
    > >external 8-GB hrad drive. Will the files on this unit work OK on the
    > >new computer if I configure it in NTFS?
    > >
    > >Regards,,
    > >
    > >Paul

    > Yes they will...................first move the files to the new drive,
    > then format the old and convert it to NTFS.I did mine two weeks ago.

    I have been contemplating converting to NTFS. Did you have to do any prior
    preparation and did you have any problems after conversion?
    Derek.

    Derek F, Feb 18, 2004
  6. paulkr

    Rifleman Guest

    "Derek F" <> wrote in message

    > "tutsi" <> wrote in message
    > > On 17 Feb 2004 22:41:27 -0800, (paulkr) wrote:
    > >
    > > >I am about to take possession of a new computer. I know one of the
    > > >questions that will be asked is what system I wish to use FAT32 or
    > > >NTFS. From what I have read it seems to be that the NTFS option is
    > > >the best to go for.
    > > >
    > > >My question is; I have previously been using FAT32. I have an
    > > >external 8-GB hrad drive. Will the files on this unit work OK on the
    > > >new computer if I configure it in NTFS?
    > > >
    > > >Regards,,
    > > >
    > > >Paul

    > > Yes they will...................first move the files to the new drive,
    > > then format the old and convert it to NTFS.I did mine two weeks ago.

    > I have been contemplating converting to NTFS. Did you have to do any prior
    > preparation and did you have any problems after conversion?
    > Derek.

    the only preparation you need to do is backup!
    There should be no problems after the conversion.......

    Rifleman, Feb 18, 2004
  7. paulkr

    Derek F Guest

    "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > "Derek F" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "tutsi" <> wrote in message

    > > > Yes they will...................first move the files to the new drive,
    > > > then format the old and convert it to NTFS.I did mine two weeks ago.

    > > I have been contemplating converting to NTFS. Did you have to do any

    prior
    > > preparation and did you have any problems after conversion?
    > > Derek.
    > >

    > the only preparation you need to do is backup!
    > There should be no problems after the conversion.......

    Did you use the /CTVAREA parameter?
    Derek.

    Derek F, Feb 18, 2004
  8. paulkr

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    I find NTFS a pain in the butt. There is always some obsticle with it if
    you have other operating systems and try to access the drive for write.
    Journaling file systems suck because of this and are always prone to loose
    data especially if you loose power and the journal file gets corrupt and the
    data has not been written to disk yet.
    Yes it is secure because if someone hacks in the file system gets trashed.

    "paulkr" <> wrote in message
    > I am about to take possession of a new computer. I know one of the
    > questions that will be asked is what system I wish to use FAT32 or
    > NTFS. From what I have read it seems to be that the NTFS option is
    > the best to go for.
    >
    > My question is; I have previously been using FAT32. I have an
    > external 8-GB hrad drive. Will the files on this unit work OK on the
    > new computer if I configure it in NTFS?
    >
    > Regards,,
    >
    > Paul

    ---