    this is NTFS. If I have to replace a file back to my computer I can copy and
    paste. Will it be pasted as NTFS like the rest of my files on the XP pro.
    Thanks in advance

    Tommy, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Tommy

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Tommy, <> wrote:

    > I am backing up data on an external HD and it is FAT.

    Many people are backing up data on an external hd and it is fat.

    > I have XP PRO and this is NTFS.

    I've decided to leave the old house to you, and the diamonds to your sister.

    > If I have to replace a file back to my computer I can copy and paste.

    I need to replace a file back to your computer you can copy and paste too.

    > Will it be pasted as NTFS like the rest of my files on the XP pro.

    If I don't get 18 hours of sleep, I get cranky.

    > Thanks in advance.

    Get fucked in advance.

    pcbutts1, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Tommy wrote:
    > I am backing up data on an external HD and it is FAT. I have XP PRO and
    > this is NTFS. If I have to replace a file back to my computer I can copy and
    > paste. Will it be pasted as NTFS like the rest of my files on the XP pro.
    > Thanks in advance

    The file isn't ntfs, the drive is.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Tommy

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:18:35 -0400, "Tommy" <> wrote:

    >I am backing up data on an external HD and it is FAT. I have XP PRO and
    >this is NTFS. If I have to replace a file back to my computer I can copy and
    >paste. Will it be pasted as NTFS like the rest of my files on the XP pro.

    The files are the same.

    >Thanks in advance

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jul 31, 2005
  5. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:v21He.23119$,
    Brian H¹© <> typed
    || Tommy wrote:
    ||| I am backing up data on an external HD and it is FAT. I have XP
    ||| PRO and this is NTFS. If I have to replace a file back to my
    ||| computer I can copy and paste. Will it be pasted as NTFS like the
    ||| rest of my files on the XP pro. Thanks in advance
    || The file isn't ntfs, the drive is.

    Ummm, wrong!

    The file system is NTFS, hence if the file is copied from a FAT file system
    it will inherit the permissions of the directory it's copied to.

    The original NTFS permissions were lost the second it was copied to a FAT
    file system.

    Robert de Brus, Jul 31, 2005
  6. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Barry OGrady <> typed
    || On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:18:35 -0400, "Tommy" <>
    || wrote:
    ||| I am backing up data on an external HD and it is FAT. I have XP
    ||| PRO and this is NTFS. If I have to replace a file back to my
    ||| computer I can copy and paste. Will it be pasted as NTFS like the
    ||| rest of my files on the XP pro.
    || The files are the same.

    I think you've missed the point of the op's question.

    The files are the same, but the permissions would be different than the
    original.

    Robert de Brus, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Tommy

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:18:35 -0400, "Tommy" <> wrote:

    >I am backing up data on an external HD and it is FAT. I have XP PRO and
    >this is NTFS. If I have to replace a file back to my computer I can copy and
    >paste. Will it be pasted as NTFS like the rest of my files on the XP pro.
    >Thanks in advance

    Tommy,
    Yes, the file will be converted back to NTFS when it's pasted back onto you XP Pro machine.

    Harrison, Jul 31, 2005
  8. Tommy

    Top Guest

    > In news:,
    > Barry OGrady <> typed

    >>> The files are the same.

    > I think you've missed the point of the op's question.

    > The files are the same, but the permissions would be different than the
    > original.

    >>> Barry
    >>> =====
    >>> Home page
    >>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the OP saying anything about
    permissions.

    Top

    Top, Aug 1, 2005
  9. Tommy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Top" <> wrote in message

    >> In news:,
    >> Barry OGrady <> typed

    >> I think you've missed the point of the op's question.

    >> The files are the same, but the permissions would be different than the
    >> original.

    > Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the OP saying anything about
    > permissions.

    Agreed. The *data* in the file is not affected in any way the drive format.
    Heck, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, UDF, NTFS, and so many other formats...the data
    remains the same. The way the OS handles keeping track of it is different.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 1, 2005
  10. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Top <> typed
    ||| In news:,
    ||| Barry OGrady <> typed
    ||| I think you've missed the point of the op's question.
    ||| The files are the same, but the permissions would be different than
    ||| the original.
    || Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the OP saying anything about
    || permissions.

    What's the point of using NTFS?

    Robert de Brus, Aug 1, 2005
  11. Tommy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message

    > In news:,
    > Top <> typed
    > || Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the OP saying anything about
    > || permissions.
    >
    > What's the point of using NTFS?

    This should help:
    http://www.thundercloud.net/information-avenue/ntfs-vs-fat32/

    Toolman Tim, Aug 1, 2005
  12. Tommy

    Top Guest

    > In news:,
    > Top <> typed

    >>> Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the OP saying anything about
    >>> permissions.

    > What's the point of using NTFS?

    In my case improved security and performance. But that does nothing to
    answer the OP's question.

    Top

    Top, Aug 1, 2005
  13. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Top <> typed
    ||| In news:,
    ||| Top <> typed
    ||| What's the point of using NTFS?
    || In my case improved security and performance. But that does nothing
    || to answer the OP's question.
    || Top

    I've already answered the OPs question.

    Robert de Brus, Aug 1, 2005
  14. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:dkgHe.2822$,
    Toolman Tim <> typed
    || "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
    ||| In news:,
    ||| Top <> typed
    ||| What's the point of using NTFS?
    || This should help:
    || http://www.thundercloud.net/information-avenue/ntfs-vs-fat32/

    Sorry if I gave the the wrong impression, I don't need to know the
    difference. It was a rhetorical question.

    Robert de Brus, Aug 1, 2005
  15. Tommy

    Noel Paton Guest

    > In news:v21He.23119$,
    > Brian H¹© <> typed
    > || The file isn't ntfs, the drive is.
    >
    > Ummm, wrong!
    >
    > The file system is NTFS, hence if the file is copied from a FAT file
    > system
    > it will inherit the permissions of the directory it's copied to.
    >
    > The original NTFS permissions were lost the second it was copied to a FAT
    > file system.

    FAT doesn't understand permissions, so any permissions will be lost on
    transfer from NTFS to FAT - and if the originating filesystem was FAT, then
    it had no permissions in the first place, so default permissions would be
    granted - possibly 'Everyone' - but it depends how the transfer is done, and
    to where.
    Any file on a FAT partition is visible to any user of the PC - with perhaps
    a minor tweak of the Folder Options.
    In an NTFS partition, permissions are asked, and/not granted as appropriate,
    before the file can be seen.

    In short, the OP need not worry about it - it's something that people do
    every day without a problem.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Aug 1, 2005
  16. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:dclr5f$egh$-infra.bt.com,
    Noel Paton <> typed
    || "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
    ||| In news:v21He.23119$,
    ||| Brian H¹© <> typed
    ||| Ummm, wrong!
    ||| The file system is NTFS, hence if the file is copied from a FAT file
    ||| system
    ||| it will inherit the permissions of the directory it's copied to.
    ||| The original NTFS permissions were lost the second it was copied to
    ||| a FAT file system.
    || FAT doesn't understand permissions, so any permissions will be lost
    || on transfer from NTFS to FAT - and if the originating filesystem was
    || FAT, then it had no permissions in the first place, so default
    || permissions would be granted - possibly 'Everyone' - but it depends
    || how the transfer is done, and to where.
    || Any file on a FAT partition is visible to any user of the PC - with
    || perhaps a minor tweak of the Folder Options.
    || In an NTFS partition, permissions are asked, and/not granted as
    || appropriate, before the file can be seen.
    || In short, the OP need not worry about it - it's something that
    || people do every day without a problem.
    || --
    || Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Isn't that what I just said? Oh, except for the part about 'Default
    Permissions'. The permissions the file will recieve will be INHERITED from
    the folder it's copied into... or MOVED to, for that matter, seeing as the
    file is coming from a different file system (FAT ~ NTFS) it MUST be from a
    different volume, hence copy and move have the same result regarding
    permission inheritance.

    The only point I was making (am I the only one who was worried that the OP
    might not understand the implications of transferring files between NTFS ~
    FAT ~ NTFS again?), is that any specific permissions the file(s) had prior
    to being copied to the FAT system will be lost on the FAT system, therefore
    if the file(s) were to be copied back to it's original location on the NTFS
    volume it would REPLACE the original file AND the original permissions with
    that of the parent (inherited) set of permissions.

    Clear as mud :)

    Robert de Brus, Aug 2, 2005