    allocation table and how to interact with hard disk directly and which
    language is best to perform this task.
    Thanks

    charmings, Jan 21, 2006

  2. charmings

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    charmings spewed forth:
    > hi I am Tanveer Rashid
    > I want to write a program which permanently delete my data from
    > hard-disk.
    > Please help me where to start from? How can I understand FAT-file
    > allocation table and how to interact with hard disk directly and which
    > language is best to perform this task.
    > Thanks

    Why don't you just use one of the multitude of programs already written to
    do specifically that exact same task - to the US Department of Defense specs
    even if required?

    I like Darik's Boot 'n Nuke - http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 21, 2006

  3. charmings

    John Holmes Guest

    charmings blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > which language is best to

    English, learn English first.

    --
    Your mother was a bulbous fiend who spent most of her life in broom
    cupboards.

    John Holmes, Jan 21, 2006
  4. charmings

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-21, charmings <> wrote:
    > hi I am Tanveer Rashid
    > I want to write a program which permanently delete my data from
    > hard-disk.
    > Please help me where to start from? How can I understand FAT-file
    > allocation table and how to interact with hard disk directly and which
    > language is best to perform this task.
    > Thanks

    You need to do a lot more than mess around with the FAT; in fact you don't
    need to do that at all, you need to write zeros and ones repeatedly to
    each spot on the disc's surface often enough to make the 'ghost' of any
    saved data too faint to be detected. As Toolman Tim has pointed out,
    there are several programs available to do exactly that. However, they
    also wear out the disc mechanism and take a long time, so you might prefer
    to adopt the 'brute force and ignorance' method, with axes, hammers,
    explosives, fire, angle-grinders, etc.

    The quickest way to blank a FAT so that normal file manager or other
    programs report 'no files', is to reformat the disc. That won't protect
    you from MI5 or the FBI though; they don't need a FAT.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 21, 2006
  5. charmings

    Budweiser Guest

    "charmings" <> wrote in message
    > hi I am Tanveer Rashid
    > I want to write a program which permanently delete my data from
    > hard-disk.
    > Please help me where to start from? How can I understand FAT-file
    > allocation table and how to interact with hard disk directly and which
    > language is best to perform this task.
    > Thanks

    Without sounding condescending,take the drive out and smash it!
    From the way you ask your question,i doubt you actually understand what
    a hard drive is ,let alone how it works.
    If someone is determined enough,even after using the so called "disk
    wipes" enough data can be recovered to show previous your activity etc
    etc.
    Hard drives are cheap--just reload the system on a new one--if the other
    is that bad eat it.

    Budweiser, Jan 21, 2006
  6. charmings

    dogsBollix Guest

    "charmings" <> wrote in

    > hi I am Tanveer Rashid
    > I want to write a program which permanently delete my data from
    > hard-disk.
    > Please help me where to start from? How can I understand FAT-file
    > allocation table and how to interact with hard disk directly and which
    > language is best to perform this task.
    > Thanks

    the easy way :-
    use vb to open a file and just keep writing data to it till the disk is
    full
    that should "clean up" your free disk space

    the hard way :-
    use 8086 assembler language,dos and bios calls to overwrite each physical
    sector of the disk
    you'll need to google for "FAT" "FAT32" "NTFS" "BIOS INTERRUPTS" "DOS"
    "ASM86"
    or try amazon for "advanced MSDOS" by ray duncan

    the lazy way :-
    google for "jetico bcwipe"
    d/l program and run

    YWIA
    dB

    dogsBollix, Jan 21, 2006
  7. charmings

    Budweiser Guest

    "dogsBollix" <> wrote in message
    > "charmings" <> wrote in
    >
    >> hi I am Tanveer Rashid
    >> I want to write a program which permanently delete my data from
    >> hard-disk.
    >> Please help me where to start from? How can I understand FAT-file
    >> allocation table and how to interact with hard disk directly and
    >> which
    >> language is best to perform this task.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > the easy way :-
    > use vb to open a file and just keep writing data to it till the disk
    > is
    > full
    > that should "clean up" your free disk space
    >
    > the hard way :-
    > use 8086 assembler language,dos and bios calls to overwrite each
    > physical
    > sector of the disk
    > you'll need to google for "FAT" "FAT32" "NTFS" "BIOS INTERRUPTS" "DOS"
    > "ASM86"
    > or try amazon for "advanced MSDOS" by ray duncan
    >
    > the lazy way :-
    > google for "jetico bcwipe"
    > d/l program and run
    >
    > YWIA
    > dB

    data will still be recoverable should yo have the time and patience

    Budweiser, Jan 21, 2006