Faststone Image Viewer Big Time Annoyance

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phil R, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Phil R

    Phil R Guest

    I have version 2.30 beta 2 under Win 98 SE.

    Like most image viewers, Faststone provides an explorer tree to
    navigate in the directory structure.

    However somewhere they found the most annoying such control I
    have ever seen.

    You focus on My Computer in the tree. A right cursor key opens
    it up. That's standard.

    In Windows Explorer, if you then key c, the program moves the
    focus to the c drive. If you key f, it moves the focus to the f
    drive if you have one. But in Faststone, if you key c nothing
    happens at all, and if you key f, it does the f full screen
    command. That's suck number 1.

    In a Windows explorer tree, if you open up my computer with the
    right cursor key, and quickly do quick three down cursor keys,
    the focus moves to the c drive (I have both a: and b: floppies.)
    But in Faststone, it tries to read the A floppy and moves the
    drive head. That's suck two.

    Now suck three, what I think is the biggest suck of all. In
    Windows explorer, if you have opened my computer and see
    unopened c, d, e, and f, drives and the focus is on c, three
    down cursor keys takes you to f. That's the way it should work.
    But in the Faststone control, the first down cursor key opens up
    the c drive and a second one goes to the first directory. To use
    the keyboard to get to the f drive, you have down cursor key
    every directory and subdirectory on c, d, and e to get f.

    As a result, keyboard navigation is impossible in the tree.

    Does anyone know any way to get through to these people? They
    don't seem to respond to emails.

    Phil R, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Phil R

    Frank ess Guest

    Phil R wrote:
    > I have version 2.30 beta 2 under Win 98 SE.
    >
    > Like most image viewers, Faststone provides an explorer tree to
    > navigate in the directory structure.
    >
    > However somewhere they found the most annoying such control I
    > have ever seen.
    >
    > You focus on My Computer in the tree. A right cursor key opens
    > it up. That's standard.
    >
    > In Windows Explorer, if you then key c, the program moves the
    > focus to the c drive. If you key f, it moves the focus to the f
    > drive if you have one. But in Faststone, if you key c nothing
    > happens at all, and if you key f, it does the f full screen
    > command. That's suck number 1.
    >
    > In a Windows explorer tree, if you open up my computer with the
    > right cursor key, and quickly do quick three down cursor keys,
    > the focus moves to the c drive (I have both a: and b: floppies.)
    > But in Faststone, it tries to read the A floppy and moves the
    > drive head. That's suck two.
    >
    > Now suck three, what I think is the biggest suck of all. In
    > Windows explorer, if you have opened my computer and see
    > unopened c, d, e, and f, drives and the focus is on c, three
    > down cursor keys takes you to f. That's the way it should work.
    > But in the Faststone control, the first down cursor key opens up
    > the c drive and a second one goes to the first directory. To use
    > the keyboard to get to the f drive, you have down cursor key
    > every directory and subdirectory on c, d, and e to get f.
    >
    > As a result, keyboard navigation is impossible in the tree.
    >
    > Does anyone know any way to get through to these people? They
    > don't seem to respond to emails.

    Mine were apparently forwarded to the big bit-bucket in the sky, also.

    I removed Fatstone from my computers.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Phil R

    Helen Guest

    "Phil R" <> wrote in message
    >I have version 2.30 beta 2 under Win 98 SE.

    > Does anyone know any way to get through to these people? They
    > don't seem to respond to emails.

    I'd demand your money back if I were you.

    Helen, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Phil R

    Battleax Guest

    "Phil R" <> wrote in message
    >I have version 2.30 beta 2 under Win 98 SE.
    >
    > Like most image viewers, Faststone provides an explorer tree to
    > navigate in the directory structure.
    >
    > However somewhere they found the most annoying such control I
    > have ever seen.
    >
    > You focus on My Computer in the tree. A right cursor key opens
    > it up. That's standard.
    >
    > In Windows Explorer, if you then key c, the program moves the
    > focus to the c drive. If you key f, it moves the focus to the f
    > drive if you have one. But in Faststone, if you key c nothing
    > happens at all, and if you key f, it does the f full screen
    > command. That's suck number 1.
    >
    > In a Windows explorer tree, if you open up my computer with the
    > right cursor key, and quickly do quick three down cursor keys,
    > the focus moves to the c drive (I have both a: and b: floppies.)
    > But in Faststone, it tries to read the A floppy and moves the
    > drive head. That's suck two.
    >
    > Now suck three, what I think is the biggest suck of all. In
    > Windows explorer, if you have opened my computer and see
    > unopened c, d, e, and f, drives and the focus is on c, three
    > down cursor keys takes you to f. That's the way it should work.
    > But in the Faststone control, the first down cursor key opens up
    > the c drive and a second one goes to the first directory. To use
    > the keyboard to get to the f drive, you have down cursor key
    > every directory and subdirectory on c, d, and e to get f.
    >
    > As a result, keyboard navigation is impossible in the tree.
    >
    > Does anyone know any way to get through to these people? They
    > don't seem to respond to emails.

    Just don't use it. There's to many good programs out there to waste your
    time on one that doesn't meet your needs. AcDsee is the king in my opinion.

    Battleax, Feb 3, 2006
  5. Phil R

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Phil R wrote:
    > I have version 2.30 beta 2 under Win 98 SE.
    >
    > Like most image viewers, Faststone provides an explorer tree to
    > navigate in the directory structure.
    >
    > However somewhere they found the most annoying such control I
    > have ever seen.
    >
    > You focus on My Computer in the tree. A right cursor key opens
    > it up. That's standard.
    >
    > In Windows Explorer, if you then key c, the program moves the
    > focus to the c drive. If you key f, it moves the focus to the f
    > drive if you have one. But in Faststone, if you key c nothing
    > happens at all, and if you key f, it does the f full screen
    > command. That's suck number 1.
    >
    > In a Windows explorer tree, if you open up my computer with the
    > right cursor key, and quickly do quick three down cursor keys,
    > the focus moves to the c drive (I have both a: and b: floppies.)
    > But in Faststone, it tries to read the A floppy and moves the
    > drive head. That's suck two.
    >
    > Now suck three, what I think is the biggest suck of all. In
    > Windows explorer, if you have opened my computer and see
    > unopened c, d, e, and f, drives and the focus is on c, three
    > down cursor keys takes you to f. That's the way it should work.
    > But in the Faststone control, the first down cursor key opens up
    > the c drive and a second one goes to the first directory. To use
    > the keyboard to get to the f drive, you have down cursor key
    > every directory and subdirectory on c, d, and e to get f.
    >
    > As a result, keyboard navigation is impossible in the tree.
    >
    > Does anyone know any way to get through to these people? They
    > don't seem to respond to emails.

    Phil,
    You aren't using Windows Explorer, you are using an image viewer
    program. They weren't written by the same programmer, and don't have
    the same purpose, so why assume they would have the same keyboard
    controls. BTW, don't you have a mouse?

    Ron Hunter, Feb 4, 2006
  6. Phil R

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Battleax wrote:
    > "Phil R" <> wrote in message
    >> I have version 2.30 beta 2 under Win 98 SE.
    >>
    >> Like most image viewers, Faststone provides an explorer tree to
    >> navigate in the directory structure.
    >>
    >> However somewhere they found the most annoying such control I
    >> have ever seen.
    >>
    >> You focus on My Computer in the tree. A right cursor key opens
    >> it up. That's standard.
    >>
    >> In Windows Explorer, if you then key c, the program moves the
    >> focus to the c drive. If you key f, it moves the focus to the f
    >> drive if you have one. But in Faststone, if you key c nothing
    >> happens at all, and if you key f, it does the f full screen
    >> command. That's suck number 1.
    >>
    >> In a Windows explorer tree, if you open up my computer with the
    >> right cursor key, and quickly do quick three down cursor keys,
    >> the focus moves to the c drive (I have both a: and b: floppies.)
    >> But in Faststone, it tries to read the A floppy and moves the
    >> drive head. That's suck two.
    >>
    >> Now suck three, what I think is the biggest suck of all. In
    >> Windows explorer, if you have opened my computer and see
    >> unopened c, d, e, and f, drives and the focus is on c, three
    >> down cursor keys takes you to f. That's the way it should work.
    >> But in the Faststone control, the first down cursor key opens up
    >> the c drive and a second one goes to the first directory. To use
    >> the keyboard to get to the f drive, you have down cursor key
    >> every directory and subdirectory on c, d, and e to get f.
    >>
    >> As a result, keyboard navigation is impossible in the tree.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know any way to get through to these people? They
    >> don't seem to respond to emails.

    > Just don't use it. There's to many good programs out there to waste your
    > time on one that doesn't meet your needs. AcDsee is the king in my opinion.

    ACDSee is a good program, but it COSTS MONEY!. Yes, I own it, and have
    used it for years, but I also find that for quick picture viewing, and
    quick editing, programs like Irfanview and Faststone viewer are also
    good tools, and they are FREE.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 4, 2006
  7. Phil R

    Battleax Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Battleax wrote:
    >> "Phil R" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have version 2.30 beta 2 under Win 98 SE.
    >>>
    >>> Like most image viewers, Faststone provides an explorer tree to
    >>> navigate in the directory structure.
    >>>
    >>> However somewhere they found the most annoying such control I
    >>> have ever seen.
    >>>
    >>> You focus on My Computer in the tree. A right cursor key opens
    >>> it up. That's standard.
    >>>
    >>> In Windows Explorer, if you then key c, the program moves the
    >>> focus to the c drive. If you key f, it moves the focus to the f
    >>> drive if you have one. But in Faststone, if you key c nothing
    >>> happens at all, and if you key f, it does the f full screen
    >>> command. That's suck number 1.
    >>>
    >>> In a Windows explorer tree, if you open up my computer with the
    >>> right cursor key, and quickly do quick three down cursor keys,
    >>> the focus moves to the c drive (I have both a: and b: floppies.)
    >>> But in Faststone, it tries to read the A floppy and moves the
    >>> drive head. That's suck two.
    >>>
    >>> Now suck three, what I think is the biggest suck of all. In
    >>> Windows explorer, if you have opened my computer and see
    >>> unopened c, d, e, and f, drives and the focus is on c, three
    >>> down cursor keys takes you to f. That's the way it should work.
    >>> But in the Faststone control, the first down cursor key opens up
    >>> the c drive and a second one goes to the first directory. To use
    >>> the keyboard to get to the f drive, you have down cursor key
    >>> every directory and subdirectory on c, d, and e to get f.
    >>>
    >>> As a result, keyboard navigation is impossible in the tree.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know any way to get through to these people? They
    >>> don't seem to respond to emails.

    >> Just don't use it. There's to many good programs out there to waste your
    >> time on one that doesn't meet your needs. AcDsee is the king in my
    >> opinion.

    > ACDSee is a good program, but it COSTS MONEY!. Yes, I own it, and have
    > used it for years, but I also find that for quick picture viewing, and
    > quick editing, programs like Irfanview and Faststone viewer are also good
    > tools, and they are FREE.

    Of course it costs money, I have $2200 worth of software on my computer, $40
    means nothing.
    Free gets you 2nd rate software

    Battleax, Feb 4, 2006
  8. Phil R

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Helen" <> wrote in message

    > "Phil R" <> wrote in message
    >>I have version 2.30 beta 2 under Win 98 SE.

    >> Does anyone know any way to get through to these people? They
    >> don't seem to respond to emails.

    > I'd demand your money back if I were you.

    Helen, you stole my thunder. I use FastStone and like it quite a bit. But
    there are others out there and complaining about anything that is free,
    particularly when the complaint is trivial and peripheral to the main
    function of the product surely qualifies for the old adage 'don't look a
    gift horse in the face'.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Phil R

    Helen Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message

    >> I'd demand your money back if I were you.
    >>

    > Helen, you stole my thunder. I use FastStone and like it quite a bit. But
    > there are others out there and complaining about anything that is free,
    > particularly when the complaint is trivial and peripheral to the main
    > function of the product surely qualifies for the old adage 'don't look a
    > gift horse in the face'.
    > Dave Cohen

    I also use Faststone Dave, and I like it a hell of a lot, nice interface,
    fast, even with big TIFFs, and a doddle to use. It will even show RAWs but
    it does tend to get confused about the correct size of big ones from my FF
    cameras, and it seems to ignore the rotation flag in portrait orientation
    shots. But then, I don't use it as my main RAW viewer. For JPEGs and TIFFs
    it's wonderful, and possibly the best free software I've ever seen.

    Helen, Feb 4, 2006
  10. Phil R

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Battleax wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >> Battleax wrote:
    >>> "Phil R" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just don't use it. There's to many good programs out there to waste your
    >>> time on one that doesn't meet your needs. AcDsee is the king in my
    >>> opinion.

    >> ACDSee is a good program, but it COSTS MONEY!. Yes, I own it, and have
    >> used it for years, but I also find that for quick picture viewing, and
    >> quick editing, programs like Irfanview and Faststone viewer are also good
    >> tools, and they are FREE.

    > Of course it costs money, I have $2200 worth of software on my computer, $40
    > means nothing.
    > Free gets you 2nd rate software

    Not always. Some of the best software I have is free. Examples:
    Poptray, Irfanview, Firefox, Thunderbird.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 5, 2006