    Baloo

    PS put the computer on the local lan and it preforms as per the other
    pcs on the net ie 30+ kB/second
    Baloo, Dec 20, 2005

  2. "Baloo" <> wrote in message
    news:43a88017$...
    > Anyone had experience with this download accelerator? A customer has
    > loaded it, but the claims of broadband effective speed on dial up seem to
    > very much OTT. Add to this inabilty to get to common websites using the
    > system lead ne to doubt the product has anything to offer. Download
    > speeds start off really well and taper to below normal (5 KB/S) for dial
    > up. Or is there something wrong with the setup?
    >
    > Hoping someone has some thoughts on this product that they would share.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Baloo
    >
    > PS put the computer on the local lan and it preforms as per the other pcs
    > on the net ie 30+ kB/second

    The term "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

    These services usually rely on some kind of compression and are optimised
    for certain applications. I think , downloading files from the net you
    won't notice much difference in speed whether you use accelerators or not.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Baloo

    Baloo Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Baloo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Anyone had experience with this download accelerator? A customer has
    >>loaded it, but the claims of broadband effective speed on dial up seem to
    >>very much OTT. Add to this inabilty to get to common websites using the
    >>system lead ne to doubt the product has anything to offer. Download
    >>speeds start off really well and taper to below normal (5 KB/S) for dial
    >>up. Or is there something wrong with the setup?
    >>
    >>Hoping someone has some thoughts on this product that they would share.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Baloo
    >>
    >>PS put the computer on the local lan and it preforms as per the other pcs
    >>on the net ie 30+ kB/second

    > The term "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.
    >
    > These services usually rely on some kind of compression and are optimised
    > for certain applications. I think , downloading files from the net you
    > won't notice much difference in speed whether you use accelerators or not.

    My experiments bear this thinking out. Thanks for your thoughts on this
    matter :)

    Baloo
    Baloo, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Baloo

    XPD Guest

    "Baloo" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone had experience with this download accelerator? A customer has
    > loaded it, but the claims of broadband effective speed on dial up seem to
    > very much OTT. Add to this inabilty to get to common websites using the
    > system lead ne to doubt the product has anything to offer. Download
    > speeds start off really well and taper to below normal (5 KB/S) for dial
    > up. Or is there something wrong with the setup?

    So called dialup-accelerators are only of use for basic websites...
    I use to work for an ISP who sells such a product and the way it worked was
    by compressing as much as possible via a proxy before it reached the end
    user.... the end user also had control over the image quality so if they
    wanted fast pages, they could turn down the image quality.
    It does not help with file downloads at all as theyre usually already
    compressed as much as possible.
    XPD, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Baloo

    Stuart Guest

    "Baloo" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone had experience with this download accelerator?

    On iHug's one, which appears to be similar, it's often faster to disable the
    accelerator. My guess is that there are lots of people using it, and the
    server can't compress all the data quick enough.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Baloo

    steve Guest

    Baloo wrote:

    > Anyone had experience with this download accelerator? A customer has
    > loaded it, but the claims of broadband effective speed on dial up seem
    > to very much OTT. Add to this inabilty to get to common websites using
    > the system lead ne to doubt the product has anything to offer. Download
    > speeds start off really well and taper to below normal (5 KB/S) for dial
    > up. Or is there something wrong with the setup?
    >
    > Hoping someone has some thoughts on this product that they would share.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Baloo
    >
    > PS put the computer on the local lan and it preforms as per the other
    > pcs on the net ie 30+ kB/second

    Modems already compress the data for transmission over the phone lines. What
    improvements might be made over that would be limited.
    steve, Dec 21, 2005
  7. Baloo

    Baloo Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Baloo wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone had experience with this download accelerator? A customer has
    >>loaded it, but the claims of broadband effective speed on dial up seem
    >>to very much OTT. Add to this inabilty to get to common websites using
    >>the system lead ne to doubt the product has anything to offer. Download
    >>speeds start off really well and taper to below normal (5 KB/S) for dial
    >>up. Or is there something wrong with the setup?
    >>
    >>Hoping someone has some thoughts on this product that they would share.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Baloo
    >>
    >>PS put the computer on the local lan and it preforms as per the other
    >>pcs on the net ie 30+ kB/second

    > Modems already compress the data for transmission over the phone lines. What
    > improvements might be made over that would be limited.

    Thanks for all the relavent comments - there just is no substitute for a
    decent adsl connection ( where???? i want one ;)!!!!!!)

    Baloo
    Baloo, Dec 21, 2005