    Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
    quickest? TIA.

    JJ

    John J, Sep 6, 2004

  2. John J

    YoYo Guest

    Thats slow... I go from a 512mb card of
    photos to a CD in less then 3 minutes.
    Thats with a Sandisk ImageMate reader.

    "John J" <> wrote in
    message
    news:chhgrs$2kc9$...
    > I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to

    dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
    > takes about 10 minutes.
    >
    > The question, what is the fastest

    method to dump a CF card to PC?

    YoYo, Sep 6, 2004

  3. "John J" <> wrote in message
    news:chhgrs$2kc9$...

    >I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
    > takes about 10 minutes.
    >
    > The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
    > Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
    > quickest? TIA.

    John, I like the SCSI units that you usually find on eBay for under $10.
    I'm using a Spyrus SCSI-2 unit for my CF cards and it blows USB 1&2 away.
    You can also use an Litronics Argus 2102. Here's one on eBay for $6.99 plus
    shipping:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=167&item=5121529323

    If you don't presently have a SCSI controller in your PC you should use an
    Adaptec AHA-2940AU with this unit.

    Probably the only thing USB readers have going for them is they are Plug &
    Play with one thin cable. If you're not familiar with SCSI you might have a
    learning curve to overcome, but once setup you will never use USB for these
    reader/writers. Good luck.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Sep 6, 2004
  4. John J

    Gadgets Guest

    Gadgets, Sep 6, 2004
  5. John J

    Bob Williams Guest

    John J wrote:
    > I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
    > takes about 10 minutes.
    >
    > The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
    > Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
    > quickest? TIA.
    >
    > JJ

    With USB1, the reader is probably the rate limiting factor.
    With USB2, (your case) the card itself may be the limiting factor.
    If your 1 GB card is a high speed one, you may get a shorter download
    time from a SCSI based reader. They are a little hard to find and of
    course you will need a SCSI interface card to go with it.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Sep 6, 2004
  6. "John J" <> wrote in message
    > I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
    > takes about 10 minutes.
    >
    > The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
    > Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
    > quickest? TIA.

    Certain theoretical limitations here- your USB2.0, if supplied via an add-in
    board in a PCI slot, is limited by your ATA speed. A recent PC would have
    SATA, which is 150MB/sec max- mine is slightly older, and is only 133MB/sec.
    This shouldn't matter much, but it does mean your theoretical 400Mb/sec from
    USB2 ain't gonna happen.

    Then you have to consider read speed- AFAICT, only a few manufacturers are
    currently quoting read as well as write speed, and Sandisk claim their Ultra
    II and Extreme cards read 10Mb/sec. The only system that should have a
    problem reading that at top speed is USB1.1- using IDE or the like won't
    help.

    Your reader is shifting about 1.7Mb/sec, or say 12x read speed. A 40x would
    shift more like 6Mb/sec, and cut your copy times down to about 3 minutes. So
    if you want fast read speeds, you need a faster card.

    no, and yes...."

    Martin Francis, Sep 6, 2004
  7. John J

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John J wrote:

    > I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
    > takes about 10 minutes.
    >
    > The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
    > Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
    > quickest? TIA.
    >
    > JJ

    Probably Firewire, at this time, however, the max rate may be limited by
    the CF card itself. Each one has its own controller chip, and a max
    data rate is inherent in the design.

    From your numbers, you are getting only slightly better figures from
    your USB 2.0 reader than you would get from a USB 1.1 reader. This
    suggests that the card is running at its maximum rate. A faster card is
    indicated.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 6, 2004
  8. John J

    John J Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > "John J" <> wrote in message
    >
    > >I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each

    card
    > > takes about 10 minutes.
    > >
    > > The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
    > > Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be

    the
    > > quickest? TIA.

    > John, I like the SCSI units that you usually find on eBay for under $10.
    > I'm using a Spyrus SCSI-2 unit for my CF cards and it blows USB 1&2 away.
    > You can also use an Litronics Argus 2102. Here's one on eBay for $6.99

    plus
    > shipping:
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=167&item=5121529323
    >
    > If you don't presently have a SCSI controller in your PC you should use an
    > Adaptec AHA-2940AU with this unit.
    >
    > Probably the only thing USB readers have going for them is they are Plug &
    > Play with one thin cable. If you're not familiar with SCSI you might have

    > learning curve to overcome, but once setup you will never use USB for

    these
    > reader/writers. Good luck.
    >

    > Rita

    Thanks Rita
    Will follow your instructions.
    JJ

    John J, Sep 7, 2004
  9. "Martin Francis" <> wrote in message news:chicnt$978$...
    > Certain theoretical limitations here- your USB2.0, if supplied via an add-in
    > board in a PCI slot, is limited by your ATA speed. A recent PC would have
    > SATA, which is 150MB/sec max- mine is slightly older, and is only 133MB/sec.
    > This shouldn't matter much, but it does mean your theoretical 400Mb/sec from
    > USB2 ain't gonna happen.

    Martin:

    A little clarification here:

    Your ATA connection maximum is 133MB/s. (Mega Bytes)
    Your USB2 connection maximum is 400Mb/s. (Mega Bits)
    Realistically, the USB2 connection isn't going to even give you 40MB/s. (Mega Bytes).

    So the limiting factor is definitely the USB2, not the ATA connection.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com
    ----------------------------------

    Dan Wojciechowski, Sep 8, 2004
  10. John J

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dan Wojciechowski wrote:

    > "Martin Francis" <> wrote in message news:chicnt$978$...
    >
    >>Certain theoretical limitations here- your USB2.0, if supplied via an add-in
    >>board in a PCI slot, is limited by your ATA speed. A recent PC would have
    >>SATA, which is 150MB/sec max- mine is slightly older, and is only 133MB/sec.
    >>This shouldn't matter much, but it does mean your theoretical 400Mb/sec from
    >>USB2 ain't gonna happen.

    > Martin:
    >
    > A little clarification here:
    >
    > Your ATA connection maximum is 133MB/s. (Mega Bytes)
    > Your USB2 connection maximum is 400Mb/s. (Mega Bits)
    > Realistically, the USB2 connection isn't going to even give you 40MB/s. (Mega Bytes).
    >
    > So the limiting factor is definitely the USB2, not the ATA connection.

    Actually, USB 2.0 max is 480mbps, but in this context, it doesn't
    matter. Still not up to ATA rates.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 8, 2004

    > > Certain theoretical limitations here- your USB2.0, if supplied via an

    add-in
    > > board in a PCI slot, is limited by your ATA speed. A recent PC would

    have
    > > SATA, which is 150MB/sec max- mine is slightly older, and is only

    133MB/sec.
    > > This shouldn't matter much, but it does mean your theoretical 400Mb/sec

    from
    > > USB2 ain't gonna happen.

    > Martin:
    >
    > A little clarification here:
    >
    > Your ATA connection maximum is 133MB/s. (Mega Bytes)
    > Your USB2 connection maximum is 400Mb/s. (Mega Bits)
    > Realistically, the USB2 connection isn't going to even give you 40MB/s.

    (Mega Bytes).

    > So the limiting factor is definitely the USB2, not the ATA connection.

    Understood.

    But the limiting factor is still the storage card.

    no, and yes...."

    Martin Francis, Sep 8, 2004
  12. John J

    Ken Tough Guest

    Bob Williams <> wrote:

    >> The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
    >> Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
    >> quickest? TIA.

    >With USB1, the reader is probably the rate limiting factor.
    >With USB2, (your case) the card itself may be the limiting factor.
    >If your 1 GB card is a high speed one, you may get a shorter download
    >time from a SCSI based reader. They are a little hard to find and of
    >course you will need a SCSI interface card to go with it.

    What about a PCMCIA interface, especially for laptops?
    That ought to be one of the fastest ways as like SCSI it's
    a parallel bus but should have a faster interface than SCSI.

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Sep 9, 2004
  13. John J

    Gadgets Guest

    .... and most people's hard drives are probably only sustaining 15MB/s!

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Sep 9, 2004
  14. John J

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ken Tough wrote:
    > Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >

    >>>The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
    >>>Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
    >>>quickest? TIA.

    >>With USB1, the reader is probably the rate limiting factor.
    >>With USB2, (your case) the card itself may be the limiting factor.
    >>If your 1 GB card is a high speed one, you may get a shorter download
    >>time from a SCSI based reader. They are a little hard to find and of
    >>course you will need a SCSI interface card to go with it.

    > What about a PCMCIA interface, especially for laptops?
    > That ought to be one of the fastest ways as like SCSI it's
    > a parallel bus but should have a faster interface than SCSI.

    NO interface will get the data faster than the specific card in question
    is able to deliver it. For any common interface faster than USB 1.1,
    (and a parallel printer interface is about the same speed as USB 1.1),
    the rate will be determined by the max speed of the card.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 9, 2004