    Also need a quiet 1U cooler, and some low profile ram (PC100/133) - standard
    sticks hit the lid of the machine. Board only sees 1/2 a 512 stick, and they
    only spec it to 256 anyway.

    Richard, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I have a single board computer, BX chipset. 100MHz FSB
    >
    > Whats the fastest I can run in it? PDF manual says its a 1.1Ghz, but
    > I thought anything faster then 600 was 133MHz?
    >
    > Also need a quiet 1U cooler, and some low profile ram (PC100/133) -
    > standard sticks hit the lid of the machine. Board only sees 1/2 a 512
    > stick, and they only spec it to 256 anyway.

    You don't specify Pentium III.

    Therefore the fastest Intel CPU you can run in that board, if it's
    compatible, is a Tualatin Celeron (256K L2 cache) 1.4GHz. They are an
    excellent CPU.

    The fastest Coppermine Celeron was (AFAICR) 1.1GHz. Therefore either the
    manual was printed before Tualatins came out of you need an adapter to run a
    Tui. They require a lower voltage than the Coppermines. (1.45V or 1.5V)

    (I have both a 1.4GHz and a 1.3GHz Tualatin Clelerons running on 440BX
    boards with adapters. The combo of the Tualatin and the BX rocks!)

    I take it it's socket 370? (Mine are adapted Slot 1). If it is and you can
    get your hands on a Tui and want to try with an adapter I have a spare here
    you can have. Upgradeware 370UG. They cost around $50 but I don't have a use
    for it at present and I'd prefer to see it get used than sit around. I
    suggest cheking your board for compatibility at www.upgradeware.com (or
    ..co.nz). If you're keen and want to part with a few dollars I could be
    persuaded to sell my 1.4Ghz. I'd want a buck or three to make it worth my
    while downgrading the machine to a 600Mhz (The only other CPU I have that
    will fit).

    You can email me at misfit with an orcon .net . nz addy if you may be
    interested in further discourse. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Richard

    Rob J Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:00:23 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >I have a single board computer, BX chipset. 100MHz FSB
    >
    >Whats the fastest I can run in it? PDF manual says its a 1.1Ghz, but I thought
    >anything faster then 600 was 133MHz?

    Anything?

    Celerons in P2 spec only run at 66 MHz, for example.

    Rob J, Jul 10, 2005
  4. Richard wrote:
    > I have a single board computer, BX chipset. 100MHz FSB
    >
    > Whats the fastest I can run in it? PDF manual says its a 1.1Ghz, but I
    > thought anything faster then 600 was 133MHz?

    There was a P3 1Ghz, but it was very limited in production, don't know
    of any others sorry, I lost interest in Intel CPUs at about that time.

    > Also need a quiet 1U cooler, and some low profile ram (PC100/133) -
    > standard sticks hit the lid of the machine. Board only sees 1/2 a 512
    > stick, and they only spec it to 256 anyway.

    Low profile ram is hard to get hold of. especially when it is "old".

    Although it doesn't help you, it may help others... 2u is able to take a
    normal stick of ram quite happily, and also makes it easier to cool the
    CPU, and usually you can get them at very reasonable prices, and fit
    more Hdds in them... handy indeed.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >>I have a single board computer, BX chipset. 100MHz FSB
    >>
    >>Whats the fastest I can run in it? PDF manual says its a 1.1Ghz, but
    >>I thought anything faster then 600 was 133MHz?
    >>
    >>Also need a quiet 1U cooler, and some low profile ram (PC100/133) -
    >>standard sticks hit the lid of the machine. Board only sees 1/2 a 512
    >>stick, and they only spec it to 256 anyway.

    > You don't specify Pentium III.
    >
    > Therefore the fastest Intel CPU you can run in that board, if it's
    > compatible, is a Tualatin Celeron (256K L2 cache) 1.4GHz. They are an
    > excellent CPU.
    >
    > The fastest Coppermine Celeron was (AFAICR) 1.1GHz. Therefore either the
    > manual was printed before Tualatins came out of you need an adapter to run a
    > Tui. They require a lower voltage than the Coppermines. (1.45V or 1.5V)
    >
    > (I have both a 1.4GHz and a 1.3GHz Tualatin Clelerons running on 440BX
    > boards with adapters. The combo of the Tualatin and the BX rocks!)
    >
    > I take it it's socket 370? (Mine are adapted Slot 1). If it is and you can
    > get your hands on a Tui and want to try with an adapter I have a spare here
    > you can have. Upgradeware 370UG. They cost around $50 but I don't have a use
    > for it at present and I'd prefer to see it get used than sit around. I
    > suggest cheking your board for compatibility at www.upgradeware.com (or
    > .co.nz). If you're keen and want to part with a few dollars I could be
    > persuaded to sell my 1.4Ghz. I'd want a buck or three to make it worth my
    > while downgrading the machine to a 600Mhz (The only other CPU I have that
    > will fit).
    >
    > You can email me at misfit with an orcon .net . nz addy if you may be
    > interested in further discourse. :)

    How much height do these add to the CPU? It has a screamer of a 1u cooler on it
    at the moment which is almost touching the top. Its a point of sale touchscreen
    machine that I am going to turn into a jukebox.

    Im figuring the CPU upgrade is less important then a ram upgrade, no way I am
    installing anything past 98se on 64 megs, even thats slow enough when the media
    players wanting 100s of megs for the playlist.

    Richard, Jul 11, 2005
  6. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> I have a single board computer, BX chipset. 100MHz FSB
    >>
    >> Whats the fastest I can run in it? PDF manual says its a 1.1Ghz, but
    >> I thought anything faster then 600 was 133MHz?

    > There was a P3 1Ghz, but it was very limited in production, don't know
    > of any others sorry, I lost interest in Intel CPUs at about that time.

    I could be wrong, I've been wrong once before. However I was under the
    impression that all socket 370 PIII 1GHz CPU's ran on a 133MHz FSB. At least
    all the ones I've had through here did. I know for a fact that a PIII 1GHz
    Slot 1 CPU was produced that ran on a 100MHz FSB. That was a rare beast,
    highly sought-after as the ultimate (non-adapter type) upgrade for a Slot 1
    board.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2005
  7. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a single board computer, BX chipset. 100MHz FSB
    >>>
    >>> Whats the fastest I can run in it? PDF manual says its a 1.1Ghz, but
    >>> I thought anything faster then 600 was 133MHz?
    >>>
    >>> Also need a quiet 1U cooler, and some low profile ram (PC100/133) -
    >>> standard sticks hit the lid of the machine. Board only sees 1/2 a
    >>> 512 stick, and they only spec it to 256 anyway.

    >> You don't specify Pentium III.
    >>
    >> Therefore the fastest Intel CPU you can run in that board, if it's
    >> compatible, is a Tualatin Celeron (256K L2 cache) 1.4GHz. They are an
    >> excellent CPU.
    >>
    >> The fastest Coppermine Celeron was (AFAICR) 1.1GHz. Therefore either
    >> the manual was printed before Tualatins came out of you need an
    >> adapter to run a Tui. They require a lower voltage than the
    >> Coppermines. (1.45V or 1.5V)
    >>
    >> (I have both a 1.4GHz and a 1.3GHz Tualatin Clelerons running on
    >> 440BX boards with adapters. The combo of the Tualatin and the BX
    >> rocks!)
    >>
    >> I take it it's socket 370? (Mine are adapted Slot 1). If it is and
    >> you can get your hands on a Tui and want to try with an adapter I
    >> have a spare here you can have. Upgradeware 370UG. They cost around
    >> $50 but I don't have a use for it at present and I'd prefer to see
    >> it get used than sit around. I suggest cheking your board for
    >> compatibility at www.upgradeware.com (or .co.nz). If you're keen
    >> and want to part with a few dollars I could be persuaded to sell my
    >> 1.4Ghz. I'd want a buck or three to make it worth my while
    >> downgrading the machine to a 600Mhz (The only other CPU I have that
    >> will fit).
    >>
    >> You can email me at misfit with an orcon .net . nz addy if you may be
    >> interested in further discourse. :)

    > How much height do these add to the CPU? It has a screamer of a 1u
    > cooler on it at the moment which is almost touching the top. Its a
    > point of sale touchscreen machine that I am going to turn into a
    > jukebox.

    <Gets out adapter and ruler>

    Looks like 3mm, near as damn it.

    However, you can regain some of that 3mm if you remove the IHD (Integreated
    Heat Spreader) from the CPU and run it bare-cored like the Coppermines and
    AMDs. It also significantly increases cooling efficiency. (Speaking from
    experience, the IHS is only held on with silicone and there's usually a
    layer of dried-out thermal compound between the core and IHS, adding another
    couple of interfaces to the path the heat has to take to escape).

    The thermal dissapation of the Tualatin Celerons varied from 27-35W roughly.
    About the same as Coppermine Celerons of slower speed and half the L2.
    However that's the theoretical maximum. Unless you're running SETI, Prime95
    or encoding video on it you won't be seeing anything close to that.

    > Im figuring the CPU upgrade is less important then a ram upgrade, no
    > way I am installing anything past 98se on 64 megs,

    Sensible, I wouldn't install XP/2K on it either and ME is just.... well ME.

    > even thats slow
    > enough when the media players wanting 100s of megs for the playlist.

    It depends on what media player you use I guess. What's the current CPU?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2005
  8. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>I have a single board computer, BX chipset. 100MHz FSB

    >>>Whats the fastest I can run in it? PDF manual says its a 1.1Ghz, but
    >>>I thought anything faster then 600 was 133MHz?

    >>There was a P3 1Ghz, but it was very limited in production, don't know
    >>of any others sorry, I lost interest in Intel CPUs at about that time.

    > I could be wrong, I've been wrong once before. However I was under the
    > impression that all socket 370 PIII 1GHz CPU's ran on a 133MHz FSB. At least
    > all the ones I've had through here did. I know for a fact that a PIII 1GHz
    > Slot 1 CPU was produced that ran on a 100MHz FSB. That was a rare beast,
    > highly sought-after as the ultimate (non-adapter type) upgrade for a Slot 1
    > board.

    you could be right, note my comment on my interest ::)

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Richard

    Mercury Guest

    Try a little research over at news:://alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

    Search for P2B in that news group - P2B is both a series of BX chipset
    motherboards asus made and the alias for one of the most knowledgable people
    on the subject.

    You will find substantial answers including the wheres and whyfores of RAM,
    Slotkits, adapters, motherboard mods(which will be relevant to a lot of BX
    boards).

    I think I know someone with tualitin 1266's (2) and some converters.
    I also have a rev 1.05 P2B-DS with dual PII 400's for sale if interested.
    (the rev of the board is important, rev 1.05 is useful, but I think the 133
    MHz bus came in later). The max on this board is around dual PIII 800
    without an adapter AFAIK. Never really persued it...

    If you post back, what make and model board is it?

    Mercury, Jul 13, 2005
  10. Richard

    Mercury Guest

    FYI: The dual asus bx boards will run W2K3 at the drop of a hat.

    Mercury, Jul 13, 2005