    I'm using FF 1.5 and I have a broadband connection.

    Is one better than the other? Or should I use both?

    Thanks.
    The Waker, Dec 12, 2005

  2. The Waker

    gwtc Guest

    The Waker wrote:

    > I'm using FF 1.5 and I have a broadband connection.
    >
    > Is one better than the other? Or should I use both?
    >
    > Thanks.

    both tweaks the settings of pipelining. In the address bar type in
    about:config and in the filter type in pipe. There will be about 3
    settings there. For some sites, pipelining doesn't work and can cause
    more problems than its worth.

    Since you have a broadband connection, then in my opinion I would
    forget about those tweaking. You already have a fast connection.
    From the postings I've come across, most people who do have a high
    speed connection, haven't noticed a any difference, and a lot of those
    people have uninstalled them. IMO, I think those tweaks would be good
    if you're on dialup.
    gwtc, Dec 12, 2005

  3. The Waker

    R Hickey Guest

    gwtc <> wrote in

    > The Waker wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using FF 1.5 and I have a broadband connection.
    >>
    >> Is one better than the other? Or should I use both?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > both tweaks the settings of pipelining. In the address bar type in
    > about:config and in the filter type in pipe. There will be about 3
    > settings there. For some sites, pipelining doesn't work and can cause
    > more problems than its worth.
    >
    > Since you have a broadband connection, then in my opinion I would
    > forget about those tweaking. You already have a fast connection.
    > From the postings I've come across, most people who do have a high
    > speed connection, haven't noticed a any difference, and a lot of those
    > people have uninstalled them. IMO, I think those tweaks would be good
    > if you're on dialup.

    I am no expert but have used both Fasterfox and Firetune. Two different
    animals from my experience.

    Fasterfox makes (supposedly...) pages load faster when you surf. It
    works (there's a little counter in the lower corner) but the improvement
    was negligable with a DSL connection.

    Firetune makes Firefox _start up_ faster and doesn't (at least not that
    I could tell) affect page loading speed. It works well but I can't seem
    to make the settings stick.

    I run Firetune and save the settings and FF starts a bit quicker than
    without Firetune after that. Shutting down the computer causes (as far
    as I can tell) FF to go back to a little sluggishness upon startup. IAC,
    give 'em a try.

    And then there's always the Firefox preloader. It makes FF load really
    fast (my exerience) and I liked it a lot but unrelated popup advertising
    problems caused me to, sadly, have to stop using the preloader. But it
    does work!

    Robert
    R Hickey, Dec 12, 2005