    transfer rates. Can I compare these to each other, and if so, does that
    make the Lexar the faster of the two?

    - Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce, Jun 14, 2007

  2. Magnusfarce

    Peter Guest

    On Jun 13, 5:04 pm, "Magnusfarce" <>
    wrote:

    > The Lexar card utilizes WA technology and claims "80x"transfer speeds. The
    > packaging on the Sandisk card seems to indicate up to only 60x or 66x
    > transfer rates. Can I compare these to each other, and if so, does that
    > make the Lexar the faster of the two?

    Yes. The 80x card is saying that it is 80/60 or 1.3x faster than the
    Sandisk 60x card.

    Whether it actually is in practice is another matter. They measure
    under the most favorable of conditions and assumptions in deriving
    that number.

    Peter, Jun 14, 2007

  3. Magnusfarce

    Ron Recer Guest

    "Magnusfarce" <> wrote in message
    >I have been using a 1 gb Lexar Pro compact flash memory card in my Nikon
    >d70s and am eyeing a new, larger 2 gb Sandisk Ultra II as a replacement.
    >The Lexar card utilizes WA technology and claims "80x"transfer speeds. The
    >packaging on the Sandisk card seems to indicate up to only 60x or 66x
    >transfer rates. Can I compare these to each other, and if so, does that
    >make the Lexar the faster of the two?
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    Check the following link:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7906

    It shows the read and write speeds of the D70 with a variety of CF cards.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Jun 14, 2007
  4. Magnusfarce

    DOCJohnson Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 05:25:47 -0500, "Ron Recer" <> wrote:

    >"Magnusfarce" <> wrote in message
    >>I have been using a 1 gb Lexar Pro compact flash memory card in my Nikon
    >>d70s and am eyeing a new, larger 2 gb Sandisk Ultra II as a replacement.
    >>The Lexar card utilizes WA technology and claims "80x"transfer speeds. The
    >>packaging on the Sandisk card seems to indicate up to only 60x or 66x
    >>transfer rates. Can I compare these to each other, and if so, does that
    >>make the Lexar the faster of the two?
    >>
    >> - Magnusfarce
    >>

    >Check the following link:
    >
    >http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7906
    >
    >It shows the read and write speeds of the D70 with a variety of CF cards.
    >
    >Ron

    A much better test is being done with advanced Canon P&S cameras running CHDK,
    where the speed of the card is tested directly in the camera using CHDK's
    benchmark feature. This is independent of any card-reader, USB port, or computer
    speed. Pure camera-to-card ratings. You can read some of the test results of
    various cards in various Canon cameras here:

    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/Benchmarks

    It is interesting in how you can greatly increase the speed of some 4 GB cards
    by giving them a non-standard FAT16 format. This may, however, make them
    incompatible with your camera or other software. I run a 4GB FAT16 card in my
    camera for a month now with zero errors.

    To format a 4GB card in FAT16, refer to the CHDK FAQ section:

    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CH...HDK_firmware_load_automatically_at_startup.3F

    DOCJohnson, Jun 17, 2007
  5. Magnusfarce

    P.Schuman Guest

    Along with my new Canon SD1000 for father's day,
    I received a Sandisk 2GB SD card.

    Don't have any other SD cards, so these are new to us.

    SanDisk doesn't list the "speed" of the standard SDSDB-2048-A10 card.
    In reading some other threads, it seems like the write speed
    might be at a fixed rate set by the camera, vs the card's capability.

    SO - what's the deal with these Ultra or Extreme SD cards ??
    Also - the SanDisk cards seem twice the cost of others from Kingston, etc

    P.Schuman, Jun 18, 2007