Faster Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mcp6453, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    I have an IBM PIII 800 for which the biggest speed bottleneck appears to
    be the hard drive. What is the fastest HD I can put in this sytem?
    ATA133 controller and drive? RAID 0/3/5? 15K RPM? OS is Windows 2000
    Pro.
     
    mcp6453, Nov 22, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    I haven't seen a 15K rpm ATA drive yet. Western Digital makes a 10K S-ATA
    drive. You'll need an S-ATA/P-ATA adapter, or an S-ATA controller to run it
    though. Of course, there is also SCSI, which is a tad faster, but given the
    difference in price, and the age of that machine, I wouldn't think it worth
    it. You could also try one of the Western Digital 7200RPM drives with the
    8MB cache memory. Those are pretty quick as well. Go to
    www.storagereview.com and you can see how fast the various drives are.


    ...
    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an IBM PIII 800 for which the biggest speed bottleneck appears to
    > be the hard drive. What is the fastest HD I can put in this sytem?
    > ATA133 controller and drive? RAID 0/3/5? 15K RPM? OS is Windows 2000
    > Pro.
     
    Thor, Nov 22, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mcp6453

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:10:33 -0500, mcp6453 <> wrote:

    >I have an IBM PIII 800 for which the biggest speed bottleneck appears to
    >be the hard drive. What is the fastest HD I can put in this sytem?
    >ATA133 controller and drive? RAID 0/3/5? 15K RPM? OS is Windows 2000
    >Pro.


    The hard drive is the bottleneck for all of us.

    The fastest hard drive system would be a scsi raid controller with raid 5, but
    that would be *very* expensive.
     
    derek / nul, Nov 23, 2003
    #3
  4. mcp6453

    Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:36:10 +1100, derek / nul <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:10:33 -0500, mcp6453 <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an IBM PIII 800 for which the biggest speed bottleneck appears to
    >>be the hard drive. What is the fastest HD I can put in this sytem?
    >>ATA133 controller and drive? RAID 0/3/5? 15K RPM? OS is Windows 2000
    >>Pro.

    >
    >The hard drive is the bottleneck for all of us.
    >
    >The fastest hard drive system would be a scsi raid controller with raid 5, but
    >that would be *very* expensive.


    I just bought a cheap $50 ATA replacement from Comp USA. I have not
    been keeping up with the technology and was unaware of all the latest
    improvements. The Comp USA brand is apparantly a Maxtor/Quantum
    Diamondmax 8 plus series hard drive. This series has fluid bearings
    so it is silent and comes with a five year warranty.

    www.storagereview.com

    I was amazed at the difference in sustained transfer rates. The
    Seagate U6 series of hard drives could only sustain about 30 MB per
    second of transfer rate, which is about what I expected from the
    inexpensive Comp USA brand drive. To my surprise the less expensive
    Maxtor sustains over 60 MB per second! What's wrong with this
    picture?
     
    , Nov 23, 2003
    #4
  5. mcp6453

    Spajky Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:10:33 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >I have an IBM PIII 800 for which the biggest speed bottleneck appears to
    >be the hard drive. What is the fastest HD I can put in this sytem?
    >ATA133 controller and drive? RAID 0/3/5? 15K RPM? OS is Windows 2000
    >Pro.


    WD Raptor ... + ide2sata convertitore ..

    -- Regards, SPAJKY
    & visit site - http://www.spajky.vze.com
    Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
     
    Spajky, Nov 23, 2003
    #5
  6. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:36:10 +1100, derek / nul <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:10:33 -0500, mcp6453 <>

    wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have an IBM PIII 800 for which the biggest speed bottleneck appears to
    > >>be the hard drive. What is the fastest HD I can put in this sytem?
    > >>ATA133 controller and drive? RAID 0/3/5? 15K RPM? OS is Windows 2000
    > >>Pro.

    > >
    > >The hard drive is the bottleneck for all of us.
    > >
    > >The fastest hard drive system would be a scsi raid controller with raid

    5, but
    > >that would be *very* expensive.

    >
    > I just bought a cheap $50 ATA replacement from Comp USA. I have not
    > been keeping up with the technology and was unaware of all the latest
    > improvements. The Comp USA brand is apparantly a Maxtor/Quantum
    > Diamondmax 8 plus series hard drive. This series has fluid bearings
    > so it is silent and comes with a five year warranty.


    Perhaps you should double check your harddrive documentation. That drive
    series, according to both Maxtor's website, and StorageReview.com only
    carries a 1 year warranty.
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/service/warranty/retail_products_warranty.htm
    http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200303/200303186E040L0_1.html


    >
    > www.storagereview.com
    >
    > I was amazed at the difference in sustained transfer rates. The
    > Seagate U6 series of hard drives could only sustain about 30 MB per
    > second of transfer rate, which is about what I expected from the
    > inexpensive Comp USA brand drive. To my surprise the less expensive
    > Maxtor sustains over 60 MB per second! What's wrong with this
    > picture?


    Yes, that drive is indeed fast, however also keep in mind that your
    sustained transfer rate is actually somewhere between 40, and 60MB/sec
    depending on where the data is being accessed from. Data from the inner
    portions of the platter only transferred at 40MB/sec.
     
    Thor, Nov 23, 2003
    #6
  7. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:
    >
    > I haven't seen a 15K rpm ATA drive yet. Western Digital makes a 10K S-ATA
    > drive. You'll need an S-ATA/P-ATA adapter, or an S-ATA controller to run it
    > though. Of course, there is also SCSI, which is a tad faster, but given the
    > difference in price, and the age of that machine, I wouldn't think it worth
    > it. You could also try one of the Western Digital 7200RPM drives with the
    > 8MB cache memory. Those are pretty quick as well. Go to
    > www.storagereview.com and you can see how fast the various drives are.



    I was thinking about buying a Promise ATA/133 controller and a Maxtor or
    Western Digital ATA/133 drive. In view of SATA, is ATA/133 considered
    old technology?
     
    mcp6453, Dec 3, 2003
    #7
  8. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > I haven't seen a 15K rpm ATA drive yet. Western Digital makes a 10K

    S-ATA
    > > drive. You'll need an S-ATA/P-ATA adapter, or an S-ATA controller to run

    it
    > > though. Of course, there is also SCSI, which is a tad faster, but given

    the
    > > difference in price, and the age of that machine, I wouldn't think it

    worth
    > > it. You could also try one of the Western Digital 7200RPM drives with

    the
    > > 8MB cache memory. Those are pretty quick as well. Go to
    > > www.storagereview.com and you can see how fast the various drives are.

    >
    >
    > I was thinking about buying a Promise ATA/133 controller and a Maxtor or
    > Western Digital ATA/133 drive. In view of SATA, is ATA/133 considered
    > old technology?


    Well, S-ATA is the replacement for P-ATA. So if you are buying a P-ATA
    drive, then yes you are buying older tech. Speed-wise they are the same, for
    now. S-ATA will ramp up potential drive speeds much higher in the future. So
    you won't be sacrificing performance if you get a P-ATA 133 drive right now.


    ...
     
    Thor, Dec 3, 2003
    #8
  9. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:
    >
    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Thor wrote:

    > Well, S-ATA is the replacement for P-ATA. So if you are buying a P-ATA
    > drive, then yes you are buying older tech. Speed-wise they are the same, for
    > now. S-ATA will ramp up potential drive speeds much higher in the future. So
    > you won't be sacrificing performance if you get a P-ATA 133 drive right now.
    >


    Someone told me today that Maxtor is the only manufacturer making
    ATA/133. Is that true? I just bought a Maxtor ATA/133 controller card
    for a PIII/500 with a newer drive. It will be interesting to see if it
    speeds up the computer. I have not researched the specs on the
    motherboard yet.

    I have a similar Promise controller in a similar computer, and it does a
    good job.
     
    mcp6453, Dec 4, 2003
    #9
  10. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > Thor wrote:

    > > Well, S-ATA is the replacement for P-ATA. So if you are buying a P-ATA
    > > drive, then yes you are buying older tech. Speed-wise they are the same,

    for
    > > now. S-ATA will ramp up potential drive speeds much higher in the

    future. So
    > > you won't be sacrificing performance if you get a P-ATA 133 drive right

    now.
    > >

    >
    > Someone told me today that Maxtor is the only manufacturer making
    > ATA/133. Is that true?


    Um, no. Not yet anyway. As far as I know, ATA/133 drives are still available
    from the other brands. Eventually, you'll see S-ATA drives taking center
    stage, but P-ATA remains more popular for the time being, because more
    people still have ATA controllers than S-ATA.


    > I just bought a Maxtor ATA/133 controller card
    > for a PIII/500 with a newer drive. It will be interesting to see if it
    > speeds up the computer. I have not researched the specs on the
    > motherboard yet.
    >
    > I have a similar Promise controller in a similar computer, and it does a
    > good job.


    Maxtor's controller cards are made by Promise, by the way.
     
    Thor, Dec 4, 2003
    #10
  11. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:
    >
    > Um, no. Not yet anyway. As far as I know, ATA/133 drives are still available
    > from the other brands. Eventually, you'll see S-ATA drives taking center
    > stage, but P-ATA remains more popular for the time being, because more
    > people still have ATA controllers than S-ATA.


    Is ATA/133 P-ATA?

    > Maxtor's controller cards are made by Promise, by the way.


    That's great.
     
    mcp6453, Dec 4, 2003
    #11
  12. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > Um, no. Not yet anyway. As far as I know, ATA/133 drives are still

    available
    > > from the other brands. Eventually, you'll see S-ATA drives taking center
    > > stage, but P-ATA remains more popular for the time being, because more
    > > people still have ATA controllers than S-ATA.

    >
    > Is ATA/133 P-ATA?


    P-ATA= "parallel ATA" which is any IDE drive using the flat ribbon cable,
    regardless of the transfer speed ability.

    S-ATA drives use a small round cable with different signalling
    characteristics, and they do away with teh master/slave situation, as they
    only allow one drive per cable. Right now, S-ATA speeds are equivalent to
    ATA/133/166 P-ATA drives. But, S-ATA will surpass this in the future, wheras
    P-ATA will be left to wither on the technological vine, and no further
    development will occur in that type of interface.
     
    Thor, Dec 4, 2003
    #12
  13. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:
    >
    > P-ATA= "parallel ATA" which is any IDE drive using the flat ribbon cable,
    > regardless of the transfer speed ability.
    >
    > S-ATA drives use a small round cable with different signalling
    > characteristics, and they do away with teh master/slave situation, as they
    > only allow one drive per cable. Right now, S-ATA speeds are equivalent to
    > ATA/133/166 P-ATA drives. But, S-ATA will surpass this in the future, wheras
    > P-ATA will be left to wither on the technological vine, and no further
    > development will occur in that type of interface.


    Cool. Thanks.
     
    mcp6453, Dec 5, 2003
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Nate
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,195
    Ed Mullen
    Feb 21, 2004
  2. Anthropy
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,214
    Anthropy
    Feb 24, 2004
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,315
  4. Spin
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    822
    Bill in Co.
    Apr 9, 2008
  5. Spin
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    3,105
    Bill in Co.
    Apr 9, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page