faster broadband in auckland coming at last?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Feb 14, 2008.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10492461

    Network upgrade means faster, better broadband
    3:30PM Thursday February 14, 2008
    By Matt Greenop

    Sluggish, unreliable broadband will be a thing of the past for many
    internet users after a sweeping network upgrade.

    A radical expansion of energy supplier Vector's fibre optic network, and
    a deal with Vodafone, will mean more reliable and faster broadband
    service for customers.

    ****
    "The extension to our fibre network in Auckland means we will further
    the development of true broadband, expand our customer reach and enable
    greater competition in the unbundled local loop environment," he said.

    Mackenzie believes that partnerships between infrastructure and service
    providers, like Vector's agreement with Vodafone, are "the most
    effective way for New Zealand to advance its telecommunications offerings".

    The fibre optic network will connect to 41 Telecom exchanges, meaning
    other ISPs can access the unbundled copper local loop to increase speed
    and reliability of internet service.

    Technology commentator Peter Griffin agrees that the faster network will
    mean telcos and ISPs will have the capability of delivering more
    data-intensive services.

    "Three-hundred kilometres of fibre doesn't sound like a lot but it takes
    in a good number of the Telecom exchanges Vodafone is eager to get into
    to deliver services using local loop unbundling," he said.

    "A big issue for Vodafone and other internet providers is getting
    adequate data backhaul from the exchanges out to their own networks.
    More fibre in the ground could greatly alleviate those types of problems."

    "It may also help out Vodafone in getting more backhaul capacity to its
    cell sites, meaning it can deliver better mobile broadband performance."

    Squiggle, Feb 14, 2008

  2. Squiggle

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 14, 5:53 am, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10492461
    >
    > Network upgrade means faster, better broadband
    > 3:30PM Thursday February 14, 2008
    > By Matt Greenop
    >
    > Sluggish, unreliable broadband will be a thing of the past for many
    > internet users after a sweeping network upgrade.
    >
    > A radical expansion of energy supplier Vector's fibre optic network, and
    > a deal with Vodafone, will mean more reliable and faster broadband
    > service for customers.
    >
    > ****
    > "The extension to our fibre network in Auckland means we will further
    > the development of true broadband, expand our customer reach and enable
    > greater competition in the unbundled local loop environment," he said.
    >
    > Mackenzie believes that partnerships between infrastructure and service
    > providers, like Vector's agreement with Vodafone, are "the most
    > effective way for New Zealand to advance its telecommunications offerings"..
    >
    > The fibre optic network will connect to 41 Telecom exchanges, meaning
    > other ISPs can access the unbundled copper local loop to increase speed
    > and reliability of internet service.
    >
    > Technology commentator Peter Griffin agrees that the faster network will
    > mean telcos and ISPs will have the capability of delivering more
    > data-intensive services.
    >
    > "Three-hundred kilometres of fibre doesn't sound like a lot but it takes
    > in a good number of the Telecom exchanges Vodafone is eager to get into
    > to deliver services using local loop unbundling," he said.
    >
    > "A big issue for Vodafone and other internet providers is getting
    > adequate data backhaul from the exchanges out to their own networks.
    > More fibre in the ground could greatly alleviate those types of problems."
    >
    > "It may also help out Vodafone in getting more backhaul capacity to its
    > cell sites, meaning it can deliver better mobile broadband performance."

    Still ADSL over copper from the local exchange to your door though.

    JohnO, Feb 14, 2008

  3. On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:46:40 -0800, JohnO wrote:

    > Still ADSL over copper from the local exchange to your door though.

    What is the use of _A_dsl in a P2P world?

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 14, 2008
  4. Squiggle

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 14, 9:12 am, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:46:40 -0800, JohnO wrote:
    > > Still ADSL over copper from the local exchange to your door though.

    > What is the use of _A_dsl in a P2P world?

    The use is that 800kbps upstream is better than dialup upstream speed.

    JohnO, Feb 14, 2008
  5. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 9:12 am, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:46:40 -0800, JohnO wrote:
    >>> Still ADSL over copper from the local exchange to your door though.

    >> What is the use of _A_dsl in a P2P world?
    >>

    > The use is that 800kbps upstream is better than dialup upstream speed.

    Its gone up to a whole 1 meg upstream on adsl2+ - I want to know if
    anyone will do annex M which makes it 3.5 megs. That would be really
    useful. As it is you spend just as long seeding out to maintain a 0.5
    ratio so really any more then 2 megs downstream is overkill if you want
    to be torrenting.

    Richard, Feb 14, 2008
  6. On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 05:09:09 -0800, JohnO wrote:

    >> What is the use of _A_dsl in a P2P world?
    >>

    > The use is that 800kbps upstream is better than dialup upstream speed.

    You miss my point.

    in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 14, 2008
  7. Squiggle

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 14, 6:02 pm, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 05:09:09 -0800, JohnO wrote:
    > >> What is the use of _A_dsl in a P2P world?

    > > The use is that 800kbps upstream is better than dialup upstream speed.

    > You miss my point.
    >
    > in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.
    >
    > --
    > Smoking Causes Lung Cancer
    >
    > Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    > was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

    You miss my point. You can live in you P2P world with ADSL but not
    with dialup.

    JohnO, Feb 14, 2008
  8. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 05:09:09 -0800, JohnO wrote:
    >
    >>> What is the use of _A_dsl in a P2P world?
    >>>

    >> The use is that 800kbps upstream is better than dialup upstream speed.

    > You miss my point.
    >
    > in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.

    Not really
    Bittorrent is an assymetrical p2p method

    sam, Feb 15, 2008
  9. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.

    ADSL *is* DSL.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 15, 2008
  10. Squiggle

    shane Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro did scribble:

    > In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    > Cancer (SCLC) did write:
    >
    >> in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.

    > ADSL *is* DSL.

    /me was waiting for someone to point that out
    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

    shane, Feb 15, 2008
  11. Squiggle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-02-15, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    > Cancer (SCLC) did write:
    >
    >> in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.

    > ADSL *is* DSL.

    Come on now, so why the A in one ;-)

    Gordon, Feb 15, 2008
  12. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-02-15, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    >> Cancer (SCLC) did write:
    >>
    >>> in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.

    >> ADSL *is* DSL.

    > Come on now, so why the A in one ;-)

    Oooh Ooooh I know !
    To differentiate it as a subset of types of DSL

    sam, Feb 15, 2008
  13. On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:21:57 +1300, sam wrote:

    >>> ADSL *is* DSL.

    >> Come on now, so why the A in one ;-)

    > Oooh Ooooh I know !
    > To differentiate it as a subset of types of DSL

    In a P2P world you do not want _Asymmetrical_ DSL - you want to be
    uploading as much as you are downloading. :eek:)

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 15, 2008
  14. On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:26:08 +1300, sam wrote:

    >> in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.

    > Not really
    > Bittorrent is an assymetrical p2p method

    With BitTorrent you want the total amount that you are uploading as much
    as the total amount you are downloading, so that your ratio remains
    equitable and so that you can continue to download other torrents.

    If that's not the case then it will all grind to a crawl as people cannot
    download anything due to the lack of upload bandwidth for the torrent
    you're wanting to download.

    That's fairly basic surely.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 15, 2008
  15. On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:42:25 -0800, JohnO wrote:

    > You miss my point. You can live in you P2P world with ADSL but not with
    > dialup.

    Yes you can.

    It just takes you a very long time to get anything.

    You still, however, can download 4gig ISO images of Linux installation
    DVDs.

    I know - I've done it.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 15, 2008
  16. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:21:57 +1300, sam wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> Come on now, so why the A in one ;-)

    >> Oooh Ooooh I know !
    >> To differentiate it as a subset of types of DSL

    > In a P2P world you do not want _Asymmetrical_ DSL - you want to be
    > uploading as much as you are downloading. :eek:)

    In other words, you want your DSL to be symmetrical, SDSL?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 15, 2008
  17. In article <47b4dc1f$>, sam did write:

    > Bittorrent is an assymetrical p2p method

    P2P isn't asymmetrical.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 15, 2008
  18. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

    >>> Come on now, so why the A in one ;-)

    >> Oooh Ooooh I know !
    >> To differentiate it as a subset of types of DSL

    > In a P2P world you do not want _Asymmetrical_ DSL - you want to be
    > uploading as much as you are downloading. :eek:)

    Not when you are paying by the megabyte. I want whatever i'm downloading
    to come down as quick as possible so I can shutdown the P2P program and
    get on with whatever else I want to do with my bandwidth/download quota.

    Squiggle, Feb 15, 2008
  19. Squiggle

    Malcolm Guest

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:41:11 +1300
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In article <>, Smoking Causes
    > Lung Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > >> Oooh Ooooh I know !
    > >> To differentiate it as a subset of types of DSL

    > > In a P2P world you do not want _Asymmetrical_ DSL - you want to be
    > > uploading as much as you are downloading. :eek:)

    > In other words, you want your DSL to be symmetrical, SDSL?

    SHDSL, as long as you are not too far from the exchange. Most of the
    Telecom Hotspots use SHDSL at 1.5MB Up/Down

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp

    Malcolm, Feb 15, 2008
  20. Squiggle

    sam Guest

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:26:08 +1300, sam wrote:
    >
    >>> in a P2P world you want DSL, not ADSL.

    >> Not really
    >> Bittorrent is an assymetrical p2p method

    > With BitTorrent you want the total amount that you are uploading as much
    > as the total amount you are downloading, so that your ratio remains
    > equitable and so that you can continue to download other torrents.
    >
    > If that's not the case then it will all grind to a crawl as people cannot
    > download anything due to the lack of upload bandwidth for the torrent
    > you're wanting to download.
    >
    > That's fairly basic surely.

    The system operates at the rate of the total available upload bandwidth
    If you want to provide more upload bandwidth, just buy it.

    Thats fairly basic surely.

    sam, Feb 15, 2008