    Gavin Ramsay
    Herringbone Productions
    Scotland

    Gavin Ramsay, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Gavin Ramsay

    Sean Nel Guest

    Go for the 135mm IS. I have done superbikes at sunset at 30th (not pinsharp
    but really much better than expected!)

    Sean

    Sean Nel, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Gavin Ramsay

    Gavin Ramsay Guest

    How about the Tamron, Tokina or Sigmas?

    I'm interested in these ones:

    Tokina 28-70 f2.8
    Sigma 28-70 f2.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8

    They're all almost the same price and all I can find are generally ok
    reviews - anyone got good or bad experiences? My other inclination was
    to get a 50mm prime and a 70-200 but I can't afford that! Next time...

    Gavin

    --
    Gavin Ramsay
    Herringbone Productions

    Gavin Ramsay, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Re: How about the Tamron, Tokina or Sigmas?

    Hi Gavin

    > Tokina 28-70 f2.8

    I use one of these on my F5. Built like a tank.
    Sharp enough for my needs. My lives-on-the-camera
    lens.

    Regards,

    Stan

    ps -- Here's a recent image shot with it:

    FreshArtDaily.com/SPAC/2003/Oliver/Oliver_group_of_five_1000x740.jpg

    [shot details:

    camera: Nikon F5
    lens: Tokina ATX Pro 28-70
    film: Superia Reala 100
    aperture: f9
    exposure: 1/125
    location: studio
    scanner: Nikon LS-2000 at 2700 ppi
    post-processing: Neat Image 3, Photoshop 7 ]

    Stanley Krute, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Gavin Ramsay

    Don Coon Guest

    > I'm interested in these ones:

    From my spreadsheet here are PhotoZone's ratings: External Optical reviews /
    User reviews
    www.photozone.de

    > Tokina 28-70 f2.8

    AT-X Pro II 3.42=Good / optical: 3.83= good to very good,
    focus=slow, build=very good
    $440AR Adorama

    AT-X Pro SV 3.12=Average / optical: 4.40=very good, focus=slow,
    build=very good
    $280 Adorama

    > Sigma 28-70 f2.8

    EX DF 3.5=Good / optical: 3.36=good, focus=slow, build=good
    $380 B&H

    > Tamron 28-75 f2.8

    LD XR Asph. SP 4.02=Very Good / ?? (LD IF Asph. SP = optical:3.03=good,
    focus=very slow, build=good)*
    $320 Adorama

    *User ratings for the Tamron are probably not for the XR version.

    Best of Luck!

    Don Coon, Nov 26, 2003