    them? I have some DVD-R DVD-RW and DVD-RW DL discs available to use.

    Thanks for your help

    John
    John, Dec 29, 2005

  2. John

    Trev Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi. I have some video on my computer saved in Mpeg 2 format. It is I
    > believe in half resolution format 352x720 PAL (620) or something like
    > that with stereo sound at 44,100 (even though the source was only mono
    > sound. This is an okay format for DVD isn't it? Is there a way with
    > Nero to just burn the video to DVD without having to encode it all?
    > I'm not bothered about menus etc just being able to play back the
    > video files.
    >
    > Could I just use a DVD disc as a storage disc and simply transfer
    > them? I have some DVD-R DVD-RW and DVD-RW DL discs available to use.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > John

    If you want to play it on a DVD player it will have to be encoded but if you
    just want to transfer it to disc to play on the computer latter then just
    burn as Data 720 x 352 is a sort of wide screen not exactly standard
    Trev, Dec 29, 2005

  3. John

    Biz Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I have some video on my computer saved in Mpeg 2 format. It is I
    > believe in half resolution format 352x720 PAL (620) or something like
    > that with stereo sound at 44,100 (even though the source was only mono
    > sound. This is an okay format for DVD isn't it? Is there a way with
    > Nero to just burn the video to DVD without having to encode it all?
    > I'm not bothered about menus etc just being able to play back the
    > video files.
    >
    > Could I just use a DVD disc as a storage disc and simply transfer
    > them? I have some DVD-R DVD-RW and DVD-RW DL discs available to use.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > John

    You're on the right track, but a few things need to be stressed about making
    everything playable on all DVD players, meeting dvd spec compliance...

    In the DVD FAQ, there are sections that discuss allowable video and audio
    specs. Your specific example does not meet the dvd spec, so it needs to be
    re-encoded...

    Video-wise from http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4

    Allowable picture resolutions are:
    MPEG-2, 525/60 (NTSC): 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, 352x240
    MPEG-2, 625/50 (PAL): 720x576, 704x576, 352x576, 352x288
    MPEG-1, 525/60 (NTSC): 352x240
    MPEG-1, 625/50 (PAL): 352x288

    YOur example was MPEG-2 PAL 720x352, which as you can see is not on the
    list....so it *may* work on some players, but undoubtedly will not work on
    all players. Best advice is to re-encode to one of the allowed
    resolutions...

    Audo-wise is addressed here: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.6.2

    Its pretty easy to follow...your audio again does not meet DVD spec, all
    audio no matter whether its LPCM, AC-3, DTS, etc...HAS to bee 48khz, its the
    only allowable sampling rate allowed for DVD-V compliant stuff....

    In the future, any capturing etc, you do should be done with those
    limitations/restrictions in mind so you may be able to avoid any or maybe
    all re-encoding....
    Biz, Dec 29, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    >You're on the right track, but a few things need to be stressed about making
    >everything playable on all DVD players, meeting dvd spec compliance...
    >
    >In the DVD FAQ, there are sections that discuss allowable video and audio
    >specs. Your specific example does not meet the dvd spec, so it needs to be
    >re-encoded...
    >
    >Video-wise from http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4
    >
    > Allowable picture resolutions are:
    >MPEG-2, 525/60 (NTSC): 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, 352x240
    >MPEG-2, 625/50 (PAL): 720x576, 704x576, 352x576, 352x288
    >MPEG-1, 525/60 (NTSC): 352x240
    >MPEG-1, 625/50 (PAL): 352x288
    >
    >YOur example was MPEG-2 PAL 720x352, which as you can see is not on the
    >list....so it *may* work on some players, but undoubtedly will not work on
    >all players. Best advice is to re-encode to one of the allowed
    >resolutions...
    >
    >Audo-wise is addressed here: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.6.2
    >
    >Its pretty easy to follow...your audio again does not meet DVD spec, all
    >audio no matter whether its LPCM, AC-3, DTS, etc...HAS to bee 48khz, its the
    >only allowable sampling rate allowed for DVD-V compliant stuff....
    >
    >In the future, any capturing etc, you do should be done with those
    >limitations/restrictions in mind so you may be able to avoid any or maybe
    >all re-encoding....

    Thanks for the help. Yep I made a mistake. It was 352x576 that it was
    recorded in. The audio was 44100 though. In my settings for my ATI
    software, that is the preset for DVD half resolution recording (HHR)
    and full res is 720x576 (CCIR-601) but still saying 44,100 as the
    audio frequency! This must be a fault with the ATI software, so I
    will just have to make new presets with it as 48,000.

    Thanks for the help and links

    John
    John, Dec 29, 2005
  5. John

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>, John
    <> writes
    >Hi. I have some video on my computer saved in Mpeg 2 format. It is I
    >believe in half resolution format 352x720 PAL (620) or something like
    >that with stereo sound at 44,100 (even though the source was only mono
    >sound. This is an okay format for DVD isn't it? Is there a way with
    >Nero to just burn the video to DVD without having to encode it all?
    >I'm not bothered about menus etc just being able to play back the
    >video files.

    Nero comes with Nero Vision which will do what you want. I allows you to
    import MPEG-2 (amongst other things) to produce your DVD, and burn it.

    But for some stupid reason, when you install Nero and select the default
    install, Nero Vision is not installed. You have to go to the Advanced
    install (when installing) and make sure the Nero Vision box is ticked.

    And Nero won't let you install over a previous installation, so you have
    to first uninstall then re-install (ticking the Vision box in the
    Advanced installation selection).

    >Could I just use a DVD disc as a storage disc and simply transfer
    >them? I have some DVD-R DVD-RW and DVD-RW DL discs available to use.

    No. A DVD requires various special (BUP, IFO and VOB) files to run,
    although the actual video is contained in the VOB files (which are
    MPEG-2 produced to a very tight specification).

    --
    Tony Morgan
    http://www.camcord.info
    Tony Morgan, Dec 30, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    Trev <trevbowdenATdsl.pipexDOTnet> wrote:

    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi. I have some video on my computer saved in Mpeg 2 format. It is I
    >> believe in half resolution format 352x720 PAL (620) or something like
    >> that with stereo sound at 44,100 (even though the source was only mono
    >> sound. This is an okay format for DVD isn't it? Is there a way with
    >> Nero to just burn the video to DVD without having to encode it all?
    >> I'm not bothered about menus etc just being able to play back the
    >> video files.
    >>
    >> Could I just use a DVD disc as a storage disc and simply transfer
    >> them? I have some DVD-R DVD-RW and DVD-RW DL discs available to use.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >>
    >> John

    >If you want to play it on a DVD player it will have to be
    >encoded but if you just want to transfer it to disc to play on
    >the computer latter then just burn as Data 720 x 352 is a sort
    >of wide screen not exactly standard

    Actually the 720x352 [I thought it was 356] is the way standalone
    DVDR encode when you go to such things as the long-play mode.

    It's not wide screen - it would really be more like narrow-screen -
    if the system did not expand it.

    It the format is size much like the screen-saves, etc., in the MS
    products - but are stretched sideways two times to restore them to
    their original dimensions.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 19, 2006
  7. John

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:45:00 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

    >>If you want to play it on a DVD player it will have to be
    >>encoded but if you just want to transfer it to disc to play on
    >>the computer latter then just burn as Data 720 x 352 is a sort
    >>of wide screen not exactly standard

    >Actually the 720x352 [I thought it was 356] is the way standalone
    >DVDR encode when you go to such things as the long-play mode.

    >It's not wide screen - it would really be more like narrow-screen -
    >if the system did not expand it.

    >It the format is size much like the screen-saves, etc., in the MS
    >products - but are stretched sideways two times to restore them to
    >their original dimensions.

    DVD recorders have several different resolutions:

    Mode Hour BitRate Encode NTSC
    HQ 1 9.5Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    SP 2 5.1Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    LP 3 3.3Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    EP 4 2.5Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    SLP 6 1.7Mpbs MPEG1 352X240

    --

    "For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
    serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."
    Bob, Jan 19, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    Bob <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:45:00 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    >
    >>>If you want to play it on a DVD player it will have to be
    >>>encoded but if you just want to transfer it to disc to play on
    >>>the computer latter then just burn as Data 720 x 352 is a sort
    >>>of wide screen not exactly standard

    >>Actually the 720x352 [I thought it was 356] is the way standalone
    >>DVDR encode when you go to such things as the long-play mode.

    >>It's not wide screen - it would really be more like narrow-screen -
    >>if the system did not expand it.

    >>It the format is size much like the screen-saves, etc., in the MS
    >>products - but are stretched sideways two times to restore them to
    >>their original dimensions.

    >DVD recorders have several different resolutions:
    >
    >Mode Hour BitRate Encode NTSC
    > HQ 1 9.5Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    > SP 2 5.1Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    > LP 3 3.3Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    > EP 4 2.5Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    > SLP 6 1.7Mpbs MPEG1 352X240

    If I had used my brain a bit more I would have realized that it has
    to be 1/2 of 720.

    My DVR has a 2.5 hour mode that is 352x480 and runs in teh 4Mbps
    mode. I see that when I play it on the PC with the information
    screen turned on.

    My problem was I stopped to think, and I forgot to restart.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 20, 2006
  9. John

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:05:00 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

    >My DVR has a 2.5 hour mode that is 352x480 and runs in the 4Mbps
    >mode.

    Does that mode have a name? What is the exact bitrate. I want to add
    it to my table of resolutions.

    Bob, Jan 20, 2006
  10. John

    G Hardy Guest

    > >My DVR has a 2.5 hour mode that is 352x480 and runs in the 4Mbps
    > >mode.

    > Does that mode have a name? What is the exact bitrate. I want to add
    > it to my table of resolutions.

    It's known as "half-D1", although I've no idea what two-letter abbreviation
    it would be given in a DVD recorder manual.

    The eye is more sensitive to vertical screen resolution than horizontal, so
    halving the pixels across and stretching what's left to fill the width gives
    a better apparent result than deinterlacing and then stretching vertically.
    G Hardy, Jan 20, 2006