fast up you internet connection!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by hack3r3z, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. hack3r3z

    hack3r3z Guest

    I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.

    That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
    own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
    issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.

    You can get it back:
    Click Start then Run and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes.
    This opens the group policy editor.
    Then go to: Local Computer Policy then Computer Configuration then
    Administrative Templates
    Then Network then QOS Packet Scheduler
    And then to Limit Reservable Bandwidth.
    Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth.
    It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain'
    tab i.e." By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20
    percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting
    to override the default.
    "So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, and then set it to
    ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the
    default 20%.
    It works on Win 2000 as well. How did you like it? Please comment.

    Note: This trick works only for windows xp sp2 professional and
    windows 2000 professional. It does not work on windows xp sp2 home
    edition As there is no way to edit group policy editor.....

    their are more then dozen's of tricks which you can explore
    to see more, simply log on to http://techguru786.tk/
    hack3r3z, Apr 5, 2007

  2. hack3r3z wrote:

    > I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.
    >
    > That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
    > own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
    > issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.

    Ah, the old urban myth, created by people who don't have any clue what
    they're doing...
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 5, 2007

  3. hack3r3z

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 5 Apr 2007 13:23:46 -0700, "hack3r3z" <>
    wrote:

    >I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.
    >
    >That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
    >own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
    >issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.

    really? As my PC has a 100mbs connection I wonder how they
    use 20mbs of it when the router does not go that fast.

    Also wonder how they interrogate my PC through NAT and the firewall

    There are so many mysteries ...
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 6, 2007
  4. hack3r3z

    Vanguard Guest

    "hack3r3z" <> wrote in message

    > I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.
    >
    > That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
    > own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
    > issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.
    >
    > You can get it back:
    > Click Start then Run and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes.
    > This opens the group policy editor.
    > Then go to: Local Computer Policy then Computer Configuration then
    > Administrative Templates
    > Then Network then QOS Packet Scheduler
    > And then to Limit Reservable Bandwidth.
    > Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth.
    > It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain'
    > tab i.e." By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20
    > percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting
    > to override the default.
    > "So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, and then set it to
    > ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the
    > default 20%.
    > It works on Win 2000 as well. How did you like it? Please comment.
    >
    > Note: This trick works only for windows xp sp2 professional and
    > windows 2000 professional. It does not work on windows xp sp2 home
    > edition As there is no way to edit group policy editor.....
    >
    > their are more then dozen's of tricks which you can explore
    > to see more, simply log on to <snip_site_URL>

    You don't have a clue what is QOS (Quality of Service), do you? Ever
    heard of Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=define:qos) or Wiki
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qos)? Obviously no.

    QoS only prioritizes the traffic. If it isn't there, it can't be given
    priority. So do you constantly run their WGA program to qualify your
    Windows license as authentic? No. Do you continuously run Windows
    Updates? No. Besides, that was YOUR choice to run it. We promise it
    won't interfere with your porn downloads.

    Have you even bothered to check your NAT router? It probably has a QoS
    function, too.

    Considering this gleeming example of stupidity, there's no point in
    checking out your others at your site.
    Vanguard, Apr 6, 2007
  5. hack3r3z

    BernieM Guest

    "hack3r3z" <> wrote in message

    > I found this trick while messing up with group policy editor.
    >
    > That ...Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their
    > own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC etc. same
    > issue is with all Microsoft OS by default.
    >
    > You can get it back:
    > Click Start then Run and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes.
    > This opens the group policy editor.
    > Then go to: Local Computer Policy then Computer Configuration then
    > Administrative Templates
    > Then Network then QOS Packet Scheduler
    > And then to Limit Reservable Bandwidth.
    > Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth.
    > It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain'
    > tab i.e." By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20
    > percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting
    > to override the default.
    > "So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, and then set it to
    > ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the
    > default 20%.
    > It works on Win 2000 as well. How did you like it? Please comment.
    >
    > Note: This trick works only for windows xp sp2 professional and
    > windows 2000 professional. It does not work on windows xp sp2 home
    > edition As there is no way to edit group policy editor.....
    >
    > their are more then dozen's of tricks which you can explore
    > to see more, simply log on to http://techguru786.tk/

    as they say ... "we don't know what we don't know" and "what we think we
    know (maybe) just ain't so".
    BernieM, Apr 6, 2007