    on a fast and reliable CF card.

    Thanks in advance
    /V
    Venkat Venkataraju, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Venkat Venkataraju

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm new to digital photography and i've decided to buy canon A80 as my
    > first digital camera. after a lot of searching around, i found out that
    > all the CF cards are not made the same way. I would like some suggestion
    > on a fast and reliable CF card.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > /V

    I rather like my Lexar card. Most comments I have seen in this group
    are favorable toward it.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 21, 2004

  3. > I rather like my Lexar card. Most comments I have seen in this group
    > are favorable toward it.

    With Lexar, there is 4X, 16X and 40X CF cards. The price is around $60
    for a 256MB card. Is there a difference amoung these cards except the
    write speed?

    /V
    Venkat Venkataraju, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Venkat Venkataraju

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    >> I rather like my Lexar card. Most comments I have seen in this group
    >> are favorable toward it.

    > With Lexar, there is 4X, 16X and 40X CF cards. The price is around $60
    > for a 256MB card. Is there a difference amoung these cards except the
    > write speed?
    >
    > /V

    None that I am aware of.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 22, 2004
  5. > None that I am aware of.

    I did some digging and found out that there are normal cards and Write
    Acceleration (WA) technology cards. WA cards will be of a great help if
    you camera is equipped with the necessary firmware/hardware. These cards
    are rated at 40X.

    I belive that there are three types of Lexar cards. Regular, Hi Speed
    and Pro. The price for these cards look very different on many site.
    varying as much as $40 for a 256 MB for the same card. To add to the
    confusion, the image that looks like Hi Speed card is listed under a Pro
    card and vice versa in some sites.

    To put it simply, does it make any difference between a 4X, 12X and a
    16X card? given that the camera is Canon PowerShot A80.

    I've decided that Lexar is the way to go, but is it worth spending $10+
    more for the faster card?

    /V
    Venkat Venkataraju, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Venkat Venkataraju

    DHB Guest

    Firm believer in Lexar quality however there is something you may wish
    to consider. Lexar 12X & faster cards all have a lifetime warrantee, the
    slower 1 don't.

    This may or may not be important but if your purchasing a large card it
    may be worth spending a little extra for a 12x in order to have the lifetime
    warrantee.

    As for me, I generally purchase Lexar 512MB 12x cards when I find them
    on sale for $100 USD or less. Don't have any digital camera's that show
    much of a difference in the card's speed. That only becomes noticeable if
    you have a fast USB 2.0 or firewire card reader/writer on your PC.

    Faster transfers to PC is nice but of little importance to me because I
    can easily do something else while my pictures transfer to my PC.
    Reliability is far more important to me than speed.

    Hope my 2 cents proves helpful.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Your note was really helpful. I think i should buy the faster cards.
    they are not very expensive than the regular lexar cards. actaully,
    right now there is a $15 mail in rebate with their 40X cards which makes
    these cards on par with the regular cards.

    relaiablity is the most important thing for me too. Last thing i want is
    to loose my pictures. digital electronics are bound to fail sometime.
    i'm not really sure how a company can give a lifetime warranty on a
    digital electronics. even the most relaiable electronics fail due to
    temprature and humidity after a long time.

    if they give lifetime warranty, there has to be some thing that makes
    them confident that the card wont fail for atleat 4+ years. I think it
    is a real good sign of a quality product.

    /V

    Venkat Venkataraju, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Venkat Venkataraju <> wrote in

    > Your note was really helpful. I think i should buy the faster cards.
    > they are not very expensive than the regular lexar cards. actaully,
    > right now there is a $15 mail in rebate with their 40X cards which
    > makes these cards on par with the regular cards.

    Don't count the Lexar rebate in your equation...I mailed in my origional
    recept, the package code and the form after photocopying it all and they
    replied that I did not qualify because I had not send in the origional
    receipt, etc, etc. When I responded that I had and retained a photocopy as
    proof they replied that that wouldn't do as they needed the origional
    receipt etc, etc. Neatest catch 22 I have seen in a long time.
    Mike Latondresse, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Venkat Venkataraju

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

    > Your note was really helpful. I think i should buy the faster cards.
    > they are not very expensive than the regular lexar cards. actaully,
    > right now there is a $15 mail in rebate with their 40X cards which makes
    > these cards on par with the regular cards.
    >
    > relaiablity is the most important thing for me too. Last thing i want is
    > to loose my pictures. digital electronics are bound to fail sometime.
    > i'm not really sure how a company can give a lifetime warranty on a
    > digital electronics. even the most relaiable electronics fail due to
    > temprature and humidity after a long time.
    >
    > if they give lifetime warranty, there has to be some thing that makes
    > them confident that the card wont fail for atleat 4+ years. I think it
    > is a real good sign of a quality product.
    >
    > /V

    Since a CF card has no moving parts (except the Microdrives), and it
    VERY sturdy, a lifetime warranty is very little risk to the
    manufacturer. I have been using 3 different types for over a year with
    no sign of a lost bit, or any other failure. I wouldn't worry greatly
    on that score.. I would rate the danger of loss of pictures on a CF
    card as much lower than loss of film pictures on a 35 mm roll.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Venkat Venkataraju

    Yip Yap Guest

    Venkat Venkataraju <> wrote in message news:<_ZvPb.32708$P%>...
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm new to digital photography and i've decided to buy canon A80 as my
    > first digital camera. after a lot of searching around, i found out that
    > all the CF cards are not made the same way. I would like some suggestion
    > on a fast and reliable CF card.

    You won't go wrong with Sandisk or Lexar.
    I also have a couple of PQI cards and they
    work just as well. I wouldn't spend more
    than $60 for a 256 MB card or more than
    $130 for a 512 MB card, otherwise you are
    getting ripped off. Check Fry's (outpost.com).

    -- Yip
    Yip Yap, Jan 23, 2004