    48mbps so something's going OK. Can anyone point me to a step by step check
    everything guide or suggest what's wrong?

    Many thanks

    Dave, Mar 5, 2006

  2. "Dave" <> wrote in message
    news:xcIOf.22555$...
    > My PC runs XP Professional and gets the internet via a Netgear 54g wifi
    > adaptor. I have installed another to share the connection with my XP Pro
    > laptop.

    Well, some kind of mis-configuration is happening and most likely the
    machine is not getting an IP from the DHCP server that's on the gateway ICS
    machine that's going to allow it to access the internet.

    > I can see my main Mesh PC from the laptop by typing \\mesh into the
    > address line, but IE etc don't have an internet connection and I get the
    > white error screen. I can transfer files etc between the Mesh and the
    > laptop at up to 48mbps so something's going OK.

    If the IP on the machine starts with 169, then the machine doesn't have an
    IP that's going to allow it to access the Internet. The 169 IP means the O/S
    timed out trying to obtain an IP from the DHCP server on the gateway
    computer. The 169 Ip will allow the machine to access other machines in a
    LAN situation.

    > Can anyone point me to a step by step check everything guide or suggest
    > what's wrong?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=trueHi

    I have seen too many posts about AD-hoc mode and XP that either never worked
    or stopped working and it's kind of suspect.

    You may want to consider a wire/wireless NAT router and infrastructure mode
    on the wireless NIC in the long run.

    Duane :)

    K-Man hater Duane, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Dave

    DrCrock Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > My PC runs XP Professional and gets the internet via a Netgear 54g wifi
    > adaptor. I have installed another to share the connection with my XP Pro
    > laptop.
    >
    > I can see my main Mesh PC from the laptop by typing \\mesh into the address
    > line, but IE etc don't have an internet connection and I get the white error
    > screen. I can transfer files etc between the Mesh and the laptop at up to
    > 48mbps so something's going OK. Can anyone point me to a step by step check
    > everything guide or suggest what's wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks

    Are you able to ping any websites?

    Are you using a static IP, if so ensure the dns address' are correct

    DrCrock, Mar 5, 2006