    IHUG saterlight = (no dial up would be very good)

    Any other options?

    Daniel

    asdf, Oct 1, 2003

  2. asdf

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    "asdf" wrote
    > Jetstream = NO.
    > woosh = NO.
    > IHUG saterlight = (no dial up would be very good)
    >
    > Any other options?
    >
    > Daniel

    Smoke signals ?

    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Oct 1, 2003

  3. asdf

    Paul Welsh Guest

    "asdf" <> wrote:

    >Jetstream = NO.
    >woosh = NO.
    >IHUG saterlight = (no dial up would be very good)
    >
    >Any other options?
    >
    >Daniel

    Can you tell me what road your on?
    Also inspirenet is working on a wireless network Should be up and
    going by x-mas Heres part of their newsletter

    Broadband

    As you may have read in the paper this week, some people seem to think
    that there are no broadband initiatives in the Manawatu, I guess they
    never came and talked to us.

    ADSL is scheduled to be available in Ashhurst and Linton late
    September.
    Our wireless network for rural customers is looking promising for
    before Xmas.
    We are rolling out fibre and ethernet high speed into the centre of
    the Square, and currently have access available in the Axa building,
    the NZI building, the PNCC Building, the OSA building, and shortly
    Westside and CU buildings

    "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"

    Paul Welsh, Oct 1, 2003
  4. asdf

    Ross Guest

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:04:43 +1200, "asdf" <> wrote:

    >Jetstream = NO.
    >woosh = NO.
    >IHUG saterlight = (no dial up would be very good)
    >
    >Any other options?
    >
    >Daniel

    Ethernet. Lots of 10Base2 cable and repeaters?
    Anyone know what the max length would be?

    Ross

    Ross, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Thus spake Paul Welsh:
    > We are rolling out fibre and ethernet high speed into the centre of
    > the Square, and currently have access available in the Axa building,
    > the NZI building, the PNCC Building, the OSA building, and shortly
    > Westside and CU buildings

    Cool. But is it a secret? There's no mention of this on the home page.

    (BTW you might want to register a few more domains like inspirenet.co.nz
    and inspirenet.net.nz?)

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 1, 2003
  6. asdf

    EAgle Guest

    "Ross" <-me.nz> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:04:43 +1200, "asdf" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Jetstream = NO.
    > >woosh = NO.
    > >IHUG saterlight = (no dial up would be very good)
    > >
    > >Any other options?
    > >
    > >Daniel
    > >

    > Ethernet. Lots of 10Base2 cable and repeaters?
    > Anyone know what the max length would be?
    >
    > Ross

    Thought it was 100m... can someone confirm?

    EAgle

    EAgle, Oct 1, 2003
  7. asdf

    T.N.O. Guest

    "asdf" wrote
    > Any other options?

    Are there any 802.11b providers in Palmy Nth?

    T.N.O., Oct 1, 2003
  8. asdf

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" wrote
    > (BTW you might want to register a few more domains like inspirenet.co.nz
    > and inspirenet.net.nz?)

    errr, why?

    T.N.O., Oct 1, 2003
  9. asdf

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:02:34 +1200, EAgle wrote:

    > "Ross" <-me.nz> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:04:43 +1200, "asdf" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Jetstream = NO.
    >> >woosh = NO.
    >> >IHUG saterlight = (no dial up would be very good)
    >> >
    >> >Any other options?
    >> >
    >> >Daniel
    >> >

    >> Ethernet. Lots of 10Base2 cable and repeaters? Anyone know what the max
    >> length would be?
    >>
    >> Ross

    > Thought it was 100m... can someone confirm?

    More like 185m for 10Base2, 100m is regarded as the limit for 10baseT.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 2, 2003
  10. asdf

    Jay Guest

    asdf wrote:

    > Jetstream = NO.
    > woosh = NO.
    > IHUG saterlight = (no dial up would be very good)
    >
    > Any other options?

    An infrared or microwave link to a tallish building in PN.

    Jay, Oct 2, 2003
  11. asdf

    Tim Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in news:3f7b4765$:

    > "asdf" wrote
    >> Any other options?

    > Are there any 802.11b providers in Palmy Nth?

    Not that I know of - Walker Wireless is the only other wireless company and
    the range won't even get close to 9km out of town. Our flat here is out of
    range and we are only a 10min walk from the building the access point is
    on.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Oct 2, 2003
  12. asdf

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Tim" wrote
    > > Are there any 802.11b providers in Palmy Nth?

    > Not that I know of - Walker Wireless is the only other wireless company

    and
    > the range won't even get close to 9km out of town. Our flat here is out

    of
    > range and we are only a 10min walk from the building the access point is
    > on.

    Wow... that sucks... you may be able to start your own ISP of sorts using
    802.11b gear with some big dishes... we're getting ~9km here in dunedin, and
    will be trialing some bigger gear in a few months, hoping for ~20km as this
    will give us some good range for covering the entire city.

    T.N.O., Oct 2, 2003
  13. asdf

    Tim Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in news::

    > "Tim" wrote
    >> > Are there any 802.11b providers in Palmy Nth?

    >> Not that I know of - Walker Wireless is the only other wireless
    >> company

    > and
    >> the range won't even get close to 9km out of town. Our flat here is
    >> out

    > of
    >> range and we are only a 10min walk from the building the access point
    >> is on.

    > Wow... that sucks... you may be able to start your own ISP of sorts
    > using 802.11b gear with some big dishes... we're getting ~9km here in
    > dunedin, and will be trialing some bigger gear in a few months, hoping
    > for ~20km as this will give us some good range for covering the entire
    > city.

    I've actually been researching that a bit recently - few of us want to
    start a wireless community lan ;)

    Tim, Oct 2, 2003
  14. On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:35:43 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > More like 185m for 10Base2, 100m is regarded as the limit for 10baseT.

    300 metres if you have 2 NE2 cards and jumper them for high power mode and
    they're the only 2 devices on the cable.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 2, 2003
  15. On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:43:20 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > Wow... that sucks... you may be able to start your own ISP of sorts using
    > 802.11b gear with some big dishes...

    The city is using 802.11b extensively and there are big interference issues.

    Even with 12dB gain antennas I was only able to get my stuff running over
    distances of 1km...

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 2, 2003
  16. asdf

    asdf Guest

    Hey, im keen to get into the community 802.11b project in parmy.

    you can get in contact with me at email k w b # pulsate * net * nz (remove
    space turn # into @ and * into .)

    Daniel

    asdf, Oct 2, 2003
  17. asdf

    Alan Guest

    We used RadioNet (acquired by Compass) to get fast Internet out at the
    airport. I don't know what service they provide now - try here:
    http://www.compass.net.nz

    Alan

    Alan, Oct 2, 2003
  18. Thus spake T.N.O.:
    > "Aaron Lawrence" wrote
    > > (BTW you might want to register a few more domains like inspirenet.co.nz
    > > and inspirenet.net.nz?)

    > errr, why?

    Just to catch the few dummies who don't think of the correct URL.

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 4, 2003