    Al Dykes
    -----------
    adykes at p a n i x . c o m

    Al Dykes, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Al Dykes

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Al Dykes)

    >Is there any current hard information about the writing speed on CF-II
    >cards ?

    Yes, but a lot depends on which camera you're using.

    >A search of
    >bhphoto.com finds a whole bunch of 1GB cards and I'll pay a little
    >extra for speed, but I'd like to know I'm getting something for it.
    >
    >About 6 months ago I bought a Hitachi 1GB microdrive for my new 300D.
    >I find that if I shoot 4 pics in a burst I find it takes 45 seconds to
    >flush all 4 to the disk. It would be nice to have something faster.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

    According to these tests your 1 GB microdrive writes slightly faster than 1
    MB/sec. The fastest card tested was a Lexar 2 GB 80x, which writes about 1.3
    MB/sec.

    You don't need a faster card, you need a faster camera with a deeper write
    buffer.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Al Dykes

    Petr Guest

    The cards I strictly use are the Ridata ones
    http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/default.asp
    But then again I have a Nikon D70 which empties its buffer really fast hence
    the fast card. Find out what the write speed is of your buffer and then buy
    a card based on that. The Ridata cards can systain 6mb/sec write speed and I
    have double checked this on my camera and its true

    Petr, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Al Dykes

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Petr"

    > I have a Nikon D70 which empties its buffer really fast ...
    >
    >The Ridata cards can systain 6mb/sec write speed and I
    >have double checked this on my camera and its true

    Are you sure? I doubt the camera will write 6 MB/sec with any current cards,
    much less a Ridata.

    This link tested the D70 with many different cards and the fastest were the 80x
    Lexar and 60x Sandisk cards, which write jpegs at about 4.2 MB/sec and NEF's at
    ~ 4.5 MB/sec ... the fastest Ridata they checked was supposedly a 52x but was
    much slower than the Lexar or Sandisk cards, about 2.7 and 3 MB/sec for jpegs
    and NEF's. This was well down the list for speed.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Al Dykes

    Petr Guest

    It was recomended by a friend who uses them in his Digital Rebel, and I saw
    good results. Shooting in Jpeg Fine I continuous mode I cannot fill the
    buffer to the point where it slow down the shooting speed. I got almost 30
    frames in 15 seconds. The moment I let go of the shutter button and let the
    buffer empty, the card write light goes off. Never more than a second after
    I release it. So in 16 seconds the card accepted 30 frames at 3mb each. That
    works out to 1.875 frames per second, hence 5625kb per sec (5.625mb). This
    is with a 52X Ridata Pro Card. They seem to work really well in this camera.
    Raw mode is another story. The camera hammers 3 frames into the buffer in
    the first second but then it slows down horribly. In 15 seconds I get 13
    frames in. What is interesting though is that the camera shoots the 3 raw
    files faster than the Jpegs, I guess due to the processing require for them.
    Hey if you can recomment a faster card for RAW I'd appreciate it

    Petr, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <TVvQc.16852$M95.4940@pd7tw1no>, Petr <> wrote:
    >It was recomended by a friend who uses them in his Digital Rebel, and I saw
    >good results. Shooting in Jpeg Fine I continuous mode I cannot fill the
    >buffer to the point where it slow down the shooting speed. I got almost 30
    >frames in 15 seconds. The moment I let go of the shutter button and let the
    >buffer empty, the card write light goes off. Never more than a second after
    >I release it. So in 16 seconds the card accepted 30 frames at 3mb each. That

    This sounds like you are comparing your D70 to a 300D. Correct ?

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Al Dykes

    Petr Guest

    These are the results on my D70. Don't know what he gets with the 300D, I
    just took his recommendation that it was a good card. Thats all.

    Petr, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Al Dykes

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Petr"

    >if you can recomment a faster card for RAW (Nikon NEF) I'd appreciate it

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816

    According to his tests the faster cards from Sandisk and Lexar are about 50%
    faster writing D70 NEF files than the Ridata card he tested, ie, ~ 4.5 MB/sec
    vs ~ 3 MB/sec. You may have a different card though.

    But then he only sees half the speed writing jpegs that you claim you're
    getting, so who knows?

    >Shooting in Jpeg Fine I continuous mode I cannot fill the
    >buffer to the point where it slow down the shooting speed. I got almost 30
    >frames in 15 seconds. The moment I let go of the shutter button and let the
    >buffer empty, the card write light goes off. Never more than a second after
    >I release it. So in 16 seconds the card accepted 30 frames at 3mb each. That
    >works out to 1.875 frames per second, hence 5625kb per sec (5.625mb).

    I think he's shooting in a different jpeg mode? (I don't know this camera
    well, sorry). Here's what he says about write speed for different jpeg modes:

    "in photographing the detailed, difficult-to-compress scene we use when
    benchmarking cards and cameras for this database, slower CF cards in the D70
    limit the number of JPEG Fine frames shot sequentially to 9. Insert one of the
    fastest CF cards, shoot the same scene, and the sequence limit jumps to 12-13
    frames before the camera stops firing briefly. Switch to JPEG Normal and, as
    Nikon's marketing materials have emphasized, the D70 will shoot continuously
    until the card is full."

    So if you were shooting what he calls "JPEG Normal" then you're right, the
    buffer never fills. But in JPEG Fine it should fill after 12-13 frames, or at
    least it did with his "difficult-to-compress scene".

    BTW, even 4.5 MB/sec is very impressive to me, especially for a consumer grade
    camera. I'm using a super-fast Canon 1D Mark II and even with the fastest
    cards (80x Lexar, 60x Sandisk) I get less than 4 MB/sec writing RAW files. But
    the buffer is very deep, 20 frames, so not a worry.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Al Dykes

    Petr Guest

    Interesting...I guess I will just stick with the Ridata in that case. Thx.

    Petr, Aug 5, 2004