Farewell nz.comp!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    I have used nz.comp for the last year. It has at times been very useful
    and I have had some very good and helpful responses to various problems
    which I am very grateful for.

    However I guess I get sick of the constant petty fights about OS's that
    you would expect from primary school kids. It really does surprise me
    that there are some intelligent people in this group that make
    themselves look like little kids renaming OS's to silly names and some
    people that are obsessed about certain things that they are just
    incapable of any decent input into the group. I spend too much time
    wading through stupid responses trying to find the ones that actually
    have something worth reading so it is just not a good use of time
    especially when there are far better alternatives on the internet.
    I would suggest to the fanatics and the people stuck in this cycle of
    arguing that they think about what they are doing and are they achieving
    anything useful? except for filling the group up with more threads of
    arguing, the people in this group know about computers they know what
    they want to use, they know the alternatives, why do people waste their
    time trying to convince them over and over that this OS should be used
    and not that OS. Don't you ever get bored of it? There is far more to
    life...

    I noticed when I first joined nz.comp it seemed that a lot of people
    knew each other and in the last year I have noticed that there really
    are no new people in the group, it is just the same old users going over
    the same old things.

    I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.

    Ok bye bye :)

    Nova, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Nova

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:00:49 +1200, Nova <> exclaimed:

    >I have used nz.comp for the last year. It has at times been very useful
    >and I have had some very good and helpful responses to various problems
    >which I am very grateful for.
    >
    >However I guess I get sick of the constant petty fights about OS's that
    >you would expect from primary school kids. It really does surprise me
    >that there are some intelligent people in this group that make
    >themselves look like little kids renaming OS's to silly names and some
    >people that are obsessed about certain things that they are just
    >incapable of any decent input into the group. I spend too much time
    >wading through stupid responses trying to find the ones that actually
    >have something worth reading so it is just not a good use of time
    >especially when there are far better alternatives on the internet.
    >I would suggest to the fanatics and the people stuck in this cycle of
    >arguing that they think about what they are doing and are they achieving
    >anything useful? except for filling the group up with more threads of
    >arguing, the people in this group know about computers they know what
    >they want to use, they know the alternatives, why do people waste their
    >time trying to convince them over and over that this OS should be used
    >and not that OS. Don't you ever get bored of it? There is far more to
    >life...
    >
    >I noticed when I first joined nz.comp it seemed that a lot of people
    >knew each other and in the last year I have noticed that there really
    >are no new people in the group, it is just the same old users going over
    >the same old things.
    >
    >I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    >moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.
    >
    >Ok bye bye :)

    Meh, obviously a Lunix nutter...

    Fred Dagg, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Nova

    Chris Hope Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:00:49 +1200, Nova <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>I have used nz.comp for the last year. It has at times been very
    >>useful and I have had some very good and helpful responses to various
    >>problems which I am very grateful for.
    >>
    >>However I guess I get sick of the constant petty fights about OS's
    >>that
    >>you would expect from primary school kids. It really does surprise me
    >>that there are some intelligent people in this group that make
    >>themselves look like little kids renaming OS's to silly names and some
    >>people that are obsessed about certain things that they are just
    >>incapable of any decent input into the group. I spend too much time
    >>wading through stupid responses trying to find the ones that actually
    >>have something worth reading so it is just not a good use of time
    >>especially when there are far better alternatives on the internet.
    >>I would suggest to the fanatics and the people stuck in this cycle of
    >>arguing that they think about what they are doing and are they
    >>achieving anything useful? except for filling the group up with more
    >>threads of arguing, the people in this group know about computers they
    >>know what they want to use, they know the alternatives, why do people
    >>waste their time trying to convince them over and over that this OS
    >>should be used and not that OS. Don't you ever get bored of it? There
    >>is far more to life...
    >>
    >>I noticed when I first joined nz.comp it seemed that a lot of people
    >>knew each other and in the last year I have noticed that there really
    >>are no new people in the group, it is just the same old users going
    >>over the same old things.
    >>
    >>I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    >>moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.
    >>
    >>Ok bye bye :)

    > Meh, obviously a Lunix nutter...

    Well that just goes to prove Nova's point about silly bickering about
    operating systems and name calling perfectly.

    And the user agent in the post would indicate Nova is a Windows user,
    and not a "Lunix nutter" (unless it was faked of course):

    Chris Hope, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Nova

    Max Q Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > Well that just goes to prove Nova's point about silly bickering about
    > operating systems and name calling perfectly.
    >
    > And the user agent in the post would indicate Nova is a Windows user,
    > and not a "Lunix nutter" (unless it was faked of course):

    Yes, it does illustrate the point rather well. I commented on this same
    phenomenon earlier this morning myself.
    --
    Non sum uni angulo natus; patria nea totus hic est mundus. - Seneca
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html

    Max Q, Aug 23, 2006
  5. Nova

    aka Bob Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:00:49 +1200, Nova <> magnanimously
    proffered:

    >I noticed when I first joined nz.comp it seemed that a lot of people
    >knew each other and in the last year I have noticed that there really
    >are no new people in the group, it is just the same old users going over
    >the same old things.

    As one of the new people you seem to have missed, I'm happy to say I
    have benefited immensely from the advice I've been given in this
    group, as well as the advice and information I've gleaned from other
    threads.

    I've also noticed the proliferation of mindless babble from poster's
    whose agenda is on some kind of replay loop. That's what killfiles are
    made for. Since you're using Firefox, I'm surprised you haven't set up
    a kill filter for these bores instead of letting them get to you.

    and for the same reason."

    Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

    aka Bob, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Nova

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I have used nz.comp for the last year. It has at times been very useful
    >and I have had some very good and helpful responses to various problems
    >which I am very grateful for.
    >
    > However I guess I get sick of the constant petty fights about OS's that
    > you would expect from primary school kids. It really does surprise me
    > that there are some intelligent people in this group that make themselves
    > look like little kids renaming OS's to silly names and some people that
    > are obsessed about certain things that they are just incapable of any
    > decent input into the group. I spend too much time wading through stupid
    > reading so it is just not a good use of time especially when there are far
    > better alternatives on the internet.
    > I would suggest to the fanatics and the people stuck in this cycle of
    > arguing that they think about what they are doing and are they achieving
    > anything useful? except for filling the group up with more threads of
    > arguing, the people in this group know about computers they know what they
    > want to use, they know the alternatives, why do people waste their time
    > trying to convince them over and over that this OS should be used and not
    > that OS. Don't you ever get bored of it? There is far more to life...
    >
    > I noticed when I first joined nz.comp it seemed that a lot of people knew
    > each other and in the last year I have noticed that there really are no
    > new people in the group, it is just the same old users going over the same
    > old things.
    >
    > I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    > moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.
    >
    > Ok bye bye :)

    Too bad you feel you have to go. You should get what you can out of the
    group and forget the rest. It's not surprising anyone new to usenet would
    be put off from taking part in this group after seeing the crap from a few
    posters who see this group as nothing else but to slag Microsoft and anyone
    you uses Microsoft products at every opportunity that they can get.

    You'll always be welcome back any time you feel like it by most of the more
    sensible people in nz.comp.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 23, 2006
  7. T'was the Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:00:49 +1200 when I remembered Nova
    <> saying something like this:

    >I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    >moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.

    Sorry to see you go, but I believe moderation's never the key to
    success.

    I was away from nz.comp for a bit, but I'm back because it's always a
    little amusing at the very least.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Aug 23, 2006
  8. Nova

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Nova <> wrote in news::

    > I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    > moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.

    If you think this is bad, try nz.general

    For tech support that is nntp, and moderated, try news.grc.com

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 23, 2006
  9. Nova <> wrote:

    > I have used nz.comp for the last year. It has at times been very useful
    > and I have had some very good and helpful responses to various problems
    > which I am very grateful for.
    >
    > However I guess I get sick of the constant petty fights about OS's that
    > you would expect from primary school kids. It really does surprise me
    > that there are some intelligent people in this group that make
    > themselves look like little kids renaming OS's to silly names and some
    > people that are obsessed about certain things that they are just
    > incapable of any decent input into the group. I spend too much time
    > wading through stupid responses trying to find the ones that actually
    > have something worth reading so it is just not a good use of time
    > especially when there are far better alternatives on the internet.
    > I would suggest to the fanatics and the people stuck in this cycle of
    > arguing that they think about what they are doing and are they achieving
    > anything useful? except for filling the group up with more threads of
    > arguing, the people in this group know about computers they know what
    > they want to use, they know the alternatives, why do people waste their
    > time trying to convince them over and over that this OS should be used
    > and not that OS. Don't you ever get bored of it? There is far more to
    > life...

    So filter the crap out or don't read it.

    > I noticed when I first joined nz.comp it seemed that a lot of people
    > knew each other and in the last year I have noticed that there really
    > are no new people in the group, it is just the same old users going over
    > the same old things.

    Oh god no! Please don't go! How will I go on! Noooooooooo! /end bad SW
    Episode III mockery.

    > I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    > moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.
    >
    > Ok bye bye :)

    Far more active? Okkk... LOL.

    Why DID you bother with this pointless leaving message? What a waste of
    time. If you don't like nz.comp or can't get to grips with a decent
    newsreader just leave :-D I assure you you will not be missed.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 23, 2006
  10. Nova

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:00:19 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> exclaimed:

    >>>I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    >>>moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.
    >>>
    >>>Ok bye bye :)

    >> Meh, obviously a Lunix nutter...

    >Well that just goes to prove Nova's point about silly bickering about
    >operating systems and name calling perfectly.
    >
    >And the user agent in the post would indicate Nova is a Windows user,
    >and not a "Lunix nutter" (unless it was faked of course):

    LOL!!

    You do realise it was a joke, don't you?

    Man, some people...

    Fred Dagg, Aug 23, 2006
  11. Nova

    Chris Hope Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:00:19 +1200, Chris Hope
    > <> exclaimed:

    >>> Meh, obviously a Lunix nutter...

    >>Well that just goes to prove Nova's point about silly bickering about
    >>operating systems and name calling perfectly.
    >>
    >>And the user agent in the post would indicate Nova is a Windows user,
    >>and not a "Lunix nutter" (unless it was faked of course):

    > LOL!!
    >
    > You do realise it was a joke, don't you?
    >
    > Man, some people...

    And how was I supposed to know it was a joke?

    Chris Hope, Aug 23, 2006
  12. Nova

    juicyjuice Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message

    :-D I assure you you will not be missed.

    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --

    Until you are the only one left..
    Then you will miss the 'group'

    I've seen communities years old turn into ruins because of such crap -
    and trust me nz.comp is defiantely nothing like it was 10 years ago, and yes
    I was here, the userbase is defiantly alot smaller.

    juicyjuice, Aug 23, 2006
  13. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Nova <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> I think webforums are the way, they seem to be far more active and are
    >> moderated to prevent pointless slanging matches.

    > If you think this is bad, try nz.general
    >
    > For tech support that is nntp, and moderated, try news.grc.com

    Thanks I might check that out.

    Nova, Aug 23, 2006
  14. Nova

    TomC Guest

    aka Bob wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:00:49 +1200, Nova <> magnanimously
    > proffered:
    >

    >>I noticed when I first joined nz.comp it seemed that a lot of people
    >>knew each other and in the last year I have noticed that there really
    >>are no new people in the group, it is just the same old users going over
    >>the same old things.

    > As one of the new people you seem to have missed, I'm happy to say I
    > have benefited immensely from the advice I've been given in this
    > group, as well as the advice and information I've gleaned from other
    > threads.
    >
    > I've also noticed the proliferation of mindless babble from poster's
    > whose agenda is on some kind of replay loop. That's what killfiles are
    > made for. Since you're using Firefox, I'm surprised you haven't set up
    > a kill filter for these bores instead of letting them get to you.

    Using a kill filter would kill half the group.
    It is not just the idiot posts.....its also the idiots who bother
    replying to them

    TomC, Aug 23, 2006
  15. Nova

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:13:05 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:00:19 +1200, Chris Hope
    >> <> exclaimed:

    >>>Well that just goes to prove Nova's point about silly bickering about
    >>>operating systems and name calling perfectly.
    >>>
    >>>And the user agent in the post would indicate Nova is a Windows user,
    >>>and not a "Lunix nutter" (unless it was faked of course):

    >> LOL!!
    >>
    >> You do realise it was a joke, don't you?
    >>
    >> Man, some people...

    >And how was I supposed to know it was a joke?

    Some silly bugger throwing in a "I'm leaving!!" thread complaining
    about snide comments about an OS, being replied to by someone making a
    completely random snide comment about an OS...

    Don't worry...

    Fred Dagg, Aug 23, 2006
  16. T'was the Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:16:26 +1200 when I remembered
    "juicyjuice" <> saying something like this:

    >I've seen communities years old turn into ruins because of such crap -
    >and trust me nz.comp is defiantely nothing like it was 10 years ago, and yes
    >I was here, the userbase is defiantly alot smaller.

    But of course. Just like Bulletin Boards. Like Shortwave radio. People
    move on, same with technologies. Who's missing Gopher these days?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Aug 23, 2006
  17. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:00:49 +1200, Nova <> exclaimed:

    > > > Ok bye bye :)

    > > Meh, obviously a Lunix nutter...

    > Well that just goes to prove Nova's point about silly bickering about
    > operating systems and name calling perfectly.
    >
    > And the user agent in the post would indicate Nova is a Windows user,
    > and not a "Lunix nutter" (unless it was faked of course):

    Nova, if you're still around to read this, there are only about four people
    that you need to killfile and the group becomes quite readable again.
    Obviously Fred Dagg is one of them.

    I have a say now and then, only when something slips through or someone else
    answers a particularly inflamatory (trollish) post. Otherwise it's not too
    difficult to ignore the childish name-calling and nym-shifting.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2006
  18. Hi there,

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:00:19 +1200, Chris Hope
    > <> exclaimed:

    >>>Meh, obviously a Lunix nutter...

    >>Well that just goes to prove Nova's point about silly bickering about
    >>operating systems and name calling perfectly.
    >>
    >>And the user agent in the post would indicate Nova is a Windows user,
    >>and not a "Lunix nutter" (unless it was faked of course):

    > LOL!!
    >
    > You do realise it was a joke, don't you?
    >
    > Man, some people...

    You forgot the obligatory smiley, or it may not have been
    that funny... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 23, 2006
  19. Nova

    BTMO Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote

    >> LOL!!
    >>
    >> You do realise it was a joke, don't you?
    >>
    >> Man, some people...

    > And how was I supposed to know it was a joke?

    Well, you start with a sense of humour, and work up from there...

    ;-)

    (BTW - I put the winkicon in because some people have trouble identifying
    humour...)

    ;-)

    (see I did it again!)

    ;-)

    (never mind...)

    ;-)

    (...)

    BTMO, Aug 23, 2006
  20. Nova

    BTMO Guest

    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote

    > But of course. Just like Bulletin Boards. Like Shortwave radio. People
    > move on, same with technologies. Who's missing Gopher these days?

    NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    BTMO, Aug 23, 2006