FAQ ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Major Issues, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Major Issues

    Major Issues Guest

    Hi,

    I'm new to the group, and I would like to avoid all the
    repetitive questions... Do you guys have an FAQ that
    you could point me too?

    grassy-ass
    MI
    Major Issues, Jul 7, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Major Issues

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Major Issues wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to the group, and I would like to avoid all the
    > repetitive questions... Do you guys have an FAQ that
    > you could point me too?


    http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jul 7, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Major Issues

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Major Issues" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to the group, and I would like to avoid all the
    > repetitive questions... Do you guys have an FAQ that
    > you could point me too?
    >
    > grassy-ass
    > MI


    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Jul 7, 2004
    #3
  4. Major Issues

    Mike Kohary Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > "Major Issues" <> wrote in message
    > news:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm new to the group, and I would like to avoid all the
    >> repetitive questions... Do you guys have an FAQ that
    >> you could point me too?
    >>
    >> grassy-ass
    >> MI

    >
    > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html


    This is NOT a recognized FAQ for this or any other newsgroup, and in fact
    this guy has been castigated repeatedly for misrepresenting his
    pieced-together bit of plagiarism as an official FAQ. Best avoided - go to
    the link I provided you earlier, as that is the "official" FAQ:

    http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jul 7, 2004
    #4
  5. Major Issues

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    news:cchjh8$88i$
    > FAQmeister wrote:
    >> "Major Issues" <> wrote in message
    >> news:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm new to the group, and I would like to avoid all the
    >>> repetitive questions... Do you guys have an FAQ that
    >>> you could point me too?
    >>>
    >>> grassy-ass
    >>> MI

    >>
    >> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    >
    > This is NOT a recognized FAQ


    LOL
    "Mike Kohary" the "official" voice for all the participants of
    alt.video.dvd has spoken!

    > the link I provided you earlier, as that is the "official" FAQ:


    Says you, but you are wrong for the following reasons:

    - The link you posted is to the rec.video.dvd FAQ and that FAQ's
    purpose is to promote a book by it's author.
    - That FAQ is not posted here regularly by the author and it doesn't
    claim to be the FAQ for alt.video.dvd.
    - There was never any vote to recognize it as the "official" FAQ for
    alt.video.dvd. Not that a vote would mean anything anyway because there
    is no such thing as an "official" FAQ for an alt newsgroup.

    Of course individuals in an alt group are free to recognize or refuse to
    recognize whatever FAQ they want, but anyone claiming there is an
    "official" FAQ for this newsgroup is merely expressing their opinion;
    unsupported by any FACTS.

    The rec.video.dvd FAQ is fine, but it is very heavy on technical details
    and light on questions and answers that would be considered "frequently
    asked" in alt.video.dvd.

    I wrote a FAQ and started posting it regularly a few weeks ago, because
    no FAQ was posted here regularly for over six years. I saw a need for a
    FAQ that actually contained questions that were "frequently asked" in
    this group and less-technical answers taken from the archives that I
    thought would appeal to a more general audience. Maybe I have failed
    miserably at that, but I don't think so and I welcome reasonable
    suggestions for making it better.

    And frankly, I just don't understand why some people would have a
    problem with that unless they are fixated on some mistaken beliefs about
    alt group FAQs.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Jul 7, 2004
    #5
  6. Major Issues

    Mike Kohary Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    >
    > "Mike Kohary" the "official" voice for all the participants of
    > alt.video.dvd has spoken!


    Your "faq" is a plagiarized facsimile cobbled together from real FAQs -
    nobody takes it seriously.

    > - The link you posted is to the rec.video.dvd FAQ and that FAQ's
    > purpose is to promote a book by it's author.


    It is a FAQ for all the DVD newsgroups, and has been widely recognized as an
    "official" FAQ for many years, even before it was turned into book format.

    I do not plan to debate this with you - what I posted was correct.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jul 7, 2004
    #6
  7. In article <> (Wed, 07 Jul 2004
    18:17:14 +0000), Major Issues wrote:

    > I'm new to the group, and I would like to avoid all the
    > repetitive questions... Do you guys have an FAQ that
    > you could point me too?


    There's no "official" FAQ for this newsgroup. As Mr. Kohary notes in
    another article,

    http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

    is a very good source of information.
    Hamilcar Barca, Jul 7, 2004
    #7
  8. Major Issues

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    news:cchjh8$88i$...
    > This is NOT a recognized FAQ for this or any other newsgroup, and in

    fact
    > this guy has been castigated repeatedly for misrepresenting his
    > pieced-together bit of plagiarism as an official FAQ.


    I assume you've considered the possibility that the original post was a
    shill by FAQmeister himself, posted for the sole purpose of allowing
    FAQmeister to respond with his own link?
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 8, 2004
    #8
  9. Major Issues

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Jul 8, 2004
    #9
  10. Major Issues

    Stan Brown Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >"Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >news:cchjh8$88i$
    >> FAQmeister wrote:
    >>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    >>
    >> This is NOT a recognized FAQ


    Correct.

    >"Mike Kohary" the "official" voice for all the participants of
    >alt.video.dvd has spoken!


    He is not the official voice, and does not claim to be. In this
    matter he _does_ speak for the overwhelming majority -- defined, as
    far as I can see, as everybody but you.

    >> the link I provided you earlier, as that is the "official" FAQ:

    >
    >Says you, but you are wrong for the following reasons:
    >
    > - The link you posted is to the rec.video.dvd FAQ and that FAQ's
    >purpose is to promote a book by it's author.


    A lie. If the FAQ author even has a book, I'm unaware of it after
    reading the FAQ. If his purpose was promotion, he's done a good job
    of hiding it.

    It's also a straw man. What does it matter what his purpose is? The
    information is still there -- as information is _not_, in your soi-
    disant "FAQ".

    > - That FAQ is not posted here regularly by the author and it doesn't
    >claim to be the FAQ for alt.video.dvd.


    Not posted here -- true but irrelevant. It couldn't be; it's too
    large for some systems.

    And yet it's still about a million times better than your self-
    serving effort.

    > - There was never any vote to recognize it as the "official" FAQ for
    >alt.video.dvd.


    And there was one for yours? Funny, I never got that memo.

    This is another straw man. FAQs are never voted on. Someone (or some
    group) puts them together, with help and contributions from lots of
    others, as a public service. Oh yes, and they accept corrections.

    >Of course individuals in an alt group are free to recognize or refuse to
    >recognize whatever FAQ they want, but anyone claiming there is an
    >"official" FAQ for this newsgroup is merely expressing their opinion;
    >unsupported by any FACTS.


    Yet another straw man. Mike did not use the word "official" -- YOU
    did. So you're disagreeing with yourself, apparently.

    From Charles Laughton's interrogation of Marlene Dietrich in
    /Witness for the Prosecution/ -- "Or could it be that you are [voice
    rising] confirmed and habitual [last word barked at full volume]
    LIAR?!"

    >I wrote a FAQ and started posting it regularly a few weeks ago, because
    >no FAQ was posted here regularly for over six years. I saw a need for a
    >FAQ that actually contained questions that were "frequently asked" in


    Another lie. You got a bee in your bonnet about one particular
    spammer, who at least always uses the same identity and is easily
    killfiled. Instead of behaving like a grownup you attempted to
    bludgeon everyone with your pseudo-FAQ, actually a long rant against
    that individual.

    >And frankly, I just don't understand why some people would have a
    >problem with that unless they are fixated on some mistaken beliefs about
    >alt group FAQs.


    This is either another lie, or so incredibly naive that it takes my
    breath away.

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm
    Stan Brown, Jul 8, 2004
    #10
  11. Major Issues

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Jul 8, 2004
    #11
  12. Major Issues

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > "FAQmeister" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> "Mike Kohary" the "official" voice for all the participants of
    >> alt.video.dvd has spoken!

    >
    > He is not the official voice, and does not claim to be. In this
    > matter he _does_ speak for the overwhelming majority -- defined, as
    > far as I can see, as everybody but you.


    That's a lie. Mike Kohary cannot speak for anyone but himself.

    >> - The link you posted is to the rec.video.dvd FAQ and that FAQ's
    >> purpose is to promote a book by it's author.

    >
    > A lie. If the FAQ author even has a book, I'm unaware of it after
    > reading the FAQ. If his purpose was promotion, he's done a good job
    > of hiding it.


    That's a lie. You must have missed the banner right at the top of the
    page.

    >> - That FAQ is not posted here regularly by the author and it doesn't
    >> claim to be the FAQ for alt.video.dvd.

    >
    > Not posted here -- true but irrelevant. It couldn't be; it's too
    > large for some systems.


    That's a lie. It's not too large, and the custom is to post a FAQ
    regularly in the group it is written for.

    I notice you don't attempt to dispute the fact that it doesn't claim to
    be the FAQ for alt.video.dvd. That's because it says right at the top:

    "This is the July 1, 2004 revision of the official Internet DVD FAQ for
    the rec.video.dvd Usenet newsgroups."

    alt.video.dvd is NOT one of the rec.video.dvd newsgroups. Any claim that
    this is the "official" or even the unofficial FAQ for this newsgroup is
    a lie.

    >> Of course individuals in an alt group are free to recognize or
    >> refuse to recognize whatever FAQ they want, but anyone claiming
    >> there is an "official" FAQ for this newsgroup is merely expressing
    >> their opinion; unsupported by any FACTS.

    >
    > Yet another straw man. Mike did not use the word "official" -- YOU
    > did. So you're disagreeing with yourself, apparently.


    That's a lie.

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    news:cchjh8$88i$
    > Best avoided -
    > go to the link I provided you earlier, as that is the "official" FAQ:


    You are in no position to accuse anyone else of lying, considering your
    cavalier attitude toward the truth.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Jul 8, 2004
    #12
  13. Major Issues

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    news:cchpqf$jpm$
    > I do not plan to debate this with you


    That's because you know you can't support any of the lies you told.

    > - what I posted was correct.


    What you posted was a pack of lies and this one was the biggest lie of
    all:

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    news:cchjh8$88i$
    > Best avoided -
    > go to the link I provided you earlier, as that is the "official" FAQ:



    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Jul 8, 2004
    #13
  14. Major Issues

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in
    message news:d31Hc.11618$
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > news:cchjh8$88i$...
    >> This is NOT a recognized FAQ for this or any other newsgroup, and in
    >> fact this guy has been castigated repeatedly for misrepresenting his
    >> pieced-together bit of plagiarism as an official FAQ.

    >
    > I assume you've considered the possibility that the original post was
    > a shill by FAQmeister himself, posted for the sole purpose of allowing
    > FAQmeister to respond with his own link?


    Consider it all you want. And feel free to report the guy to sonic.net
    while you're at it, but FYI, since I post the link in my sig I really
    don't need to play games by setting up a question to give myself an
    excuse to post it.

    And I certainly didn't go looking for this argument. Mr. Kohary brought
    it on by lying about an "official" FAQ. I made no such claim about the
    link I posted.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Jul 8, 2004
    #14
  15. Major Issues

    FPP Guest

    In article <d31Hc.11618$>,
    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > news:cchjh8$88i$...
    > > This is NOT a recognized FAQ for this or any other newsgroup, and in

    > fact
    > > this guy has been castigated repeatedly for misrepresenting his
    > > pieced-together bit of plagiarism as an official FAQ.

    >
    > I assume you've considered the possibility that the original post was a
    > shill by FAQmeister himself, posted for the sole purpose of allowing
    > FAQmeister to respond with his own link?


    First thing that ran through *my* mind. I wonder how many of these
    conversations are nothing more than echo's in a deranged mind.

    Fred

    --
    "Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes,
    because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes,
    and you can say whatever the hell you want."
    FPP, Jul 8, 2004
    #15
  16. Major Issues

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > And I certainly didn't go looking for this argument. Mr. Kohary brought
    > it on by lying about an "official" FAQ. I made no such claim about the
    > link I posted.


    Then call your FAQ "The Unofficial alt.video.dvd FAQ," not "The
    alt.video.dvd FAQ." The lack of qualification misrepresents its nature.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Jul 8, 2004
    #16
  17. Major Issues

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    news:
    >> And I certainly didn't go looking for this argument. Mr. Kohary
    >> brought it on by lying about an "official" FAQ. I made no such claim
    >> about the link I posted.

    >
    > Then call your FAQ "The Unofficial alt.video.dvd FAQ," not "The
    > alt.video.dvd FAQ." The lack of qualification misrepresents its
    > nature.


    No it doesn't because there is no such thing as an "official" FAQ for an
    alt group.

    Thanks for the suggestion though. Now if you'd like to reconsider my
    suggestion that you limit your "announcements" to once a week...
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Jul 8, 2004
    #17
  18. Major Issues

    Major Issues Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:41:41 -0400, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >"Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in
    >alt.video.dvd:
    >>I assume you've considered the possibility that the original post was a
    >>shill by FAQmeister himself, posted for the sole purpose of allowing
    >>FAQmeister to respond with his own link?

    >
    >D'you think? God, I'm so naive sometimes!



    Guys, chill.
    And learn to read headers.

    I appreciate all information from *any* source, it doesn't
    matter to me who considers themselves "official".

    Thanks again, and I'm sorry to have created such a stir.

    MI
    Major Issues, Jul 8, 2004
    #18
  19. Major Issues

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Major Issues wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:41:41 -0400, Stan Brown
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in
    >> alt.video.dvd:
    >>> I assume you've considered the possibility that the original post
    >>> was a shill by FAQmeister himself, posted for the sole purpose of
    >>> allowing FAQmeister to respond with his own link?

    >>
    >> D'you think? God, I'm so naive sometimes!

    >
    >
    > Guys, chill.
    > And learn to read headers.
    >
    > I appreciate all information from *any* source, it doesn't
    > matter to me who considers themselves "official".
    >
    > Thanks again, and I'm sorry to have created such a stir.


    Don't worry, it's not your fault. A couple of posters in here have recently
    rankled most of the rest of us, and when one of them responded to you with
    one of the things that rankled us, that was bound to start something.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jul 8, 2004
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David

    Upgrading to high speed, FAQ?

    David, Nov 4, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    491
    Deborah Harper
    Nov 9, 2004
  2. Malke
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    488
    Malke
    Dec 10, 2004
  3. Jeandré
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    985
    Jeandré
    Jul 27, 2003
  4. mrzac
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    457
    Leonidas Jones
    Dec 27, 2003
  5. Imya Rek

    Re: The JF Mezei FAQ is here!!

    Imya Rek, Feb 10, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    448
    Imya Rek
    Feb 10, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page