Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Plato, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Plato

    Plato Guest

    FAQ | 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    In regards to computer problems many participants find it very
    helpful if you supply a few facts about your system along with
    your question including:

    - MOST IMPORTANT is the Operating System [OS] you use for example
    Windows 95, 98, XP Home, XP Pro, Linux, MAC OS 9.X , etc.
    - Amount of RAM
    - Age of your PC [helps when dealing with Hard Drive install problems]

    AGAIN, MOST IMPORTANT IS THE OS THAT IS ON THE PROBLEM PC
    SECOND MOST IMPORTANT IS THE EXACT TEXT OF ANY ERROR MESSAGES

    ERROR MESSAGES

    If you are receiving an error message it really helps to post
    the [exact verbatim error message] but don't include "stack dump"
    or "register" numbers if the error message also includes them.

    For example, [filename.exe has caused a general protection fault
    in module nav32.exe] or [WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in
    module MSO97.DLL] can really help the volunteers in the Group
    identify your specific problem and suggest reasonable fixes.

    Often you have to press the "details" button to get better info.

    For Windows XP users experiencing BSODs and/or restarts and the
    error message disappears before you can read it try this:

    Use Control Panel | System | Advanced | Startup and Recovery
    Settings and untick the "Automatically Restart" item in the
    system failure section.

    This should lock the PC at the point the error message pops up
    and allow you to read it to get an angle on the problem.

    PERIPHERALS

    For peripheral problems like mice, printers, scanners, etc. it often
    helps to include details like how the device is connected e.g. USB,
    serial, LPT, etc. and if the device is "daisy chained" e.g. is the
    printer connected directly to the PC or is it connected to the back
    of your scanner. Or is it connected through a USB hub.

    SOFTWARE

    A great deal of software [not working, not installing] problems are
    due to incorrect installation and/or spyware running in the background.

    Some basic steps to do in advance of installing new software include:

    - Disable all background applications prior to installing any new
    software including your anti-virus program.
    - Remove all spyware
    - Double check your system for viruses with another program or with
    an online scanner.
    - Run scandisk and defrag

    It's also useful to post what specific software and version number
    is NOT working/installing on your PC. In other words, its not helpful
    to just say that your "Speech Recognition" software is not working
    unless you also provide the maker of such ware and the version #.

    SAVE YOURSELF SOME TIME AND FRUSTRATION

    Since many problems are very common the answer you want may have
    already been posted today so it pays to spend some time reviewing
    the Subject Lines to see if others have already asked the same
    question and have already been provided with some good answers.

    Please note that 24hoursupport.helpdesk is a text based Newsgroup,
    which means NO HTML, NO Attachments, No Pictures, and NO SPAM.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Plato

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Plato said:

    > FAQ | 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Give it a rest Plato for crying out loud, you don't just piss off the people
    that fight with you.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Give it a rest Plato for crying out loud, you don't just piss off the people
    > that fight with you.

    Maybe you should find a moderated, topic specific group as it seems you
    cant deal with an OPEN group where any topic is allowed.

    Talk about double standards eh?
    Plato, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Plato

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Plato said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >>
    >> Give it a rest Plato for crying out loud, you don't just piss off the people
    >> that fight with you.

    > Maybe you should find a moderated, topic specific group as it seems you
    > cant deal with an OPEN group where any topic is allowed.
    >
    > Talk about double standards eh?

    I *can* cope with "any" topic, but you are just being childish by insisting on
    posting a FAQ every day.
    Now if you was to post it after someone asked, then maybe, just maybe, it
    wouldn't be such a pain in the arse, but no, you are just doing it out of spite,
    or for kicks.
    I've never flamed you, but when I see others do it, I do think that you tend to
    supply the fuel yourself.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 27, 2003
  5. On 27 Jun 2003 16:22:34 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> ripped off his/her
    clothing and screamed to the world:

    **** head.
    --
    The villagers trembled as a blinding flash of pointlessness illuminated
    the night-time skies.
    Phineas P. Hornswaggle, Jun 28, 2003
  6. Plato

    gangle Guest

    "Brian H¹©" wrote
    > Errrrr...erm... Plato said:
    >
    > > FAQ | 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > >

    > Give it a rest Plato for crying out loud, you don't just piss off the people
    > that fight with you.

    PlayD'oH is a serious sociopath. As such, he is driven by
    compulsions that he cannot consciously control. For you to
    address him like he just "some guy" who can be reasoned
    with, just demonstrates your lack of knowledge of the history
    of this NG.
    gangle, Jun 28, 2003