FAQ for the Server 2003 x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Joe Swart [MSFT], May 10, 2005.

  1. This FAQ will also be published on the Technology Advancement Program site:
    https://microsoft.productorder.com/serverx64/default.aspx

    I know this is lengthy but it should answer some of your questions:

    Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program Frequently Asked Questions

    General:

    Q: What is the Windows x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program?

    A) The Technology Advancement Program allows customers who purchased a 32-bit version of Windows with x64 hardware to exchange it for the corresponding x64 version. The Technology Advancement Program will be available from April 25 to July 30, while Volume Licensing customers are free to exchange their 32-bit version of Windows for the x64 version at any time, using their current volume license agreements.

    Q. What are the qualified purchase dates for participating in the Technology Advancement Program? When does it end?

    A. Customers must have purchased or built their x64-based servers between March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2005. The program ends on July 31, 2005.

    Q. In order to receive the x64 upgrade through the Technology Advancement Program, do customers have to work through system builders or OEMs? Do customers have to purchase new hardware?

    A. Participating OEMs will have their own fulfillment sites for this program and customers should check their web sites to determine if the exchange is supported. Customers who purchased 32-bit Windows and x64 hardware from a system builder or built their own server should visit Microsoft.com/x64 and follow links to the Technology Advancement Program. Volume Licensing customers are permitted to use their media kits to exchange 32-bit Windows for the x64 version.

    Q: What do participants in the Windows x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program receive? Will a download be available?

    A: Customers participating in the Technology Advancement program will receive a CD with a full installation of the software ordered. Since the software ordered is a full installation of the operating system, the software will not be posted for download.

    Q: What will my order contain?

    A: When your order arrives, you will receive a DVD case and CD with a liner that identifies the software as part of the Technology Advancement Program (e.g., "Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition").

    Q: What languages are available?

    A: Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese, with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be posted the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following languages will have MUI Packs available for download:

    a.. German
    b.. French
    c.. Spanish
    d.. Italian
    e.. Korean
    f.. Chinese Simplified
    g.. Chinese Traditional
    h.. Japanese

    Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?

    A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version of Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With the exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are the same as the MUI version on English Windows Server 2003 from a feature and architectural point of view,

    Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?

    A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client and server pages.

    Client: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

    Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/default.mspx

    Q: What should I consider before moving to 64-bit?

    Before you make the decision to move to 64-bit, we recommend taking the following steps:

    a.. Read the information on this Web site about Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions. Unless you are pushing the boundaries of the 32-bit architecture, you will probably find that a 32-bit operating system is still the best option.

    a.. Investigate whether or not 64-bit device drivers are available for the components in your server and the peripherals that you use. Since your 32-bit drivers will not work on this version of Windows, it is important that you make sure your devices are supported. You can find many of these supported devices at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/app64catalog.aspx, or by checking directly with your hardware manufacturer.

    a.. Back up your data and settings. Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions require a "clean installation," meaning the contents of your hard drive will be erased during the installation.

    a.. Try the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition Trial Software. The Trial Software program allows you to evaluate the operating system for 180 days. This is a great way to determine whether or not it is compatible with your current system and devices.

    Q: Where do I go to find out if my printer and other devices will work in Windows x64?

    A: Contact the hardware or software vendor to determine if printers and other devices have 64-bit drivers.

    Q: I've contacted my OEM and they have no knowledge of the program, what can I do?

    A: First, you should check your OEM's Web site to see if they support the program for your particular server. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

    Q: I've contacted my System Builder and they have no knowledge of the program, what can I do?

    A: Microsoft is contracting with an Authorized Replicator to host the exchange site on behalf of System Builders, so the System Builder may, or may not, be aware of the Technology Advancement Program.

    Q: How do I submit multiple COA serial numbers or Product IDs as items in my order?

    A: Unfortunately, multiple items currently need to be submitted as separate orders.

    Licensing

    Q: If I have a Volume License or a subscription to MSDN, should I use this program?

    A. Customers with active Volume License Agreements and MSDN subscriptions already have access to Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions under their existing plan.

    Q: If I submit an order for a Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition can I return to my 32-bit Windows Server 2003 Edition?

    A: You will not be able to return to your 32-bit license of Windows Server 2003. If you are uncertain on making the exchange, we recommend you try the software first by using the Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Trial Software Program. Please see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx for details.

    Order Process

    Q: Where is the COA serial number located?

    A: The Certificate of Authenticity can be found on a sticker that is generally located on the back or bottom of a server. The sticker contains two different sets of numbers - the first is a 25 character product key and the second is the COA serial number. The COA serial number is what is required for this program. It generally appears under a bar code which is located beneath the product key, and begins with "000".

    Q: If I don't have, or can't find, the COA, what else can I do?

    A: You can enter the Product ID if a COA is not available. To find the Product ID in Windows Server 2003, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

    Q: I received an "Invalid COA" message and cannot submit my order, what can I do?

    A: First, please ensure that you are entering the correct value into the COA serial number field. The COA serial number is located on a sticker that is generally attached to the back or undercarriage of your computer. The COA serial number is located under the 25 character product key, and begins with "000".

    If you follow the above instructions and still receive an error, please enter the Product ID instead. To find the Product ID in Windows Server 2003, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

    Q: I entered a COA and Product ID and neither is valid, what else can I do?

    A: Verify the software you want to exchange is included in the Technology Advancement Software. If the software you have to exchange is included then verify the software was acquired between March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2005.

    Q: Can I order my Technology Advancement Software from this site if the Product ID contains the letters "OEM"?

    A: Yes you may, however, Microsoft recommends that you visit your server manufacturer's web site to determine if they are supporting the program first. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

    Q: After entering my COA, I received a "DupeCOA" message. What should I do?

    A: Please send an email to and specify the error message received and the COA that you entered.

    Q: Do I need to specify the 25 digit product key in the order process?

    A: No, the 25 digit product key is not used in the Technology Advancement Program.

    Q: How do I check on my order status?

    A: You will receive an order confirmation email once your order is placed and soon after your order is shipped. If you have any order, shipping, or billing-related questions please email .

    Q: When will I receive my Technology Advancement Software after ordering?

    A: Due to large demand, it will take about 4-6 weeks after ordering to receive your shipment.

    Payment

    Q: Who can I contact if I have questions about my order, the shipping of my order, or payment?

    A: For order, shipping, and billing details, you may visit the order website. For inquires on any of these items, please email . If you've made a payment and have questions about the charges, please call the number that appears below the charge description on your credit card statement.

    Q: What payment methods can I use to pay for shipping, handling, and any customs duty charges?

    A: The payment methods available to pay for shipping, handling, and any custom duty charges are: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

    Setup/Installation:

    Q: What setup and installation considerations should I have when installing Windows x64 Edition?

    A: The Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition installation process is similar to the installation process for the 32-bit Windows operating system. The x64 installation still copies the needed files to temporary folders, restarts the computer into graphical user interface (GUI) mode, performs Plug and Play (PnP) detection and installation, and then finishes the set up process. However, some GUI mode graphics have been updated to profile new features in x64. To the end user, the installation procedure appears nearly the same as a 32-bit Windows installation. For details, please see knowledge base article 896334.

    --
    -Joe Swart [MSFT]

    Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these newsgroups.

    Joe Swart [MSFT], May 10, 2005

  2. Unofficial;
    Q: I entered an OEM PID as my COA is not available and my system builder is defunct. I am fully compliant with the terms of the TAP according to numerous conversations with Microsoft UK. Yet I am stopped at the first page with a PID format error as many others are being. Will this error be fixed?
    A: Well, you see... there's... well... uhm... excuse me I have to... get something from my car... *sound of running footsteps and car speeding off.*
    ? ;-)
    "Joe Swart [MSFT]" <> wrote in message news:...
[...]

    A: Customers participating in the Technology Advancement program will receive a CD with a full installation of the software ordered. Since the software ordered is a full installation of the operating system, the software will not be posted for download.

    Q: What will my order contain?

    A: When your order arrives, you will receive a DVD case and CD with a liner that identifies the software as part of the Technology Advancement Program (e.g., "Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition").

    Q: What languages are available?

    A: Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese, with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be posted the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following languages will have MUI Packs available for download:

    a.. German
    b.. French
    c.. Spanish
    d.. Italian
    e.. Korean
    f.. Chinese Simplified
    g.. Chinese Traditional
    h.. Japanese

    Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?

    A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version of Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With the exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are the same as the MUI version on English Windows Server 2003 from a feature and architectural point of view,

    Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?

    A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client and server pages.

[...]

    A: Contact the hardware or software vendor to determine if printers and other devices have 64-bit drivers.

    Q: I've contacted my OEM and they have no knowledge of the program, what can I do?

    A: First, you should check your OEM's Web site to see if they support the program for your particular server. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

    Q: I've contacted my System Builder and they have no knowledge of the program, what can I do?

    A: Microsoft is contracting with an Authorized Replicator to host the exchange site on behalf of System Builders, so the System Builder may, or may not, be aware of the Technology Advancement Program.

    Q: How do I submit multiple COA serial numbers or Product IDs as items in my order?

    A: Unfortunately, multiple items currently need to be submitted as separate orders.

    Licensing

    Q: If I have a Volume License or a subscription to MSDN, should I use this program?

    A. Customers with active Volume License Agreements and MSDN subscriptions already have access to Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions under their existing plan.

    Q: If I submit an order for a Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition can I return to my 32-bit Windows Server 2003 Edition?

    A: You will not be able to return to your 32-bit license of Windows Server 2003. If you are uncertain on making the exchange, we recommend you try the software first by using the Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Trial Software Program. Please see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx for details.

    Order Process

    Q: Where is the COA serial number located?

    A: The Certificate of Authenticity can be found on a sticker that is generally located on the back or bottom of a server. The sticker contains two different sets of numbers - the first is a 25 character product key and the second is the COA serial number. The COA serial number is what is required for this program. It generally appears under a bar code which is located beneath the product key, and begins with "000".

    Q: If I don't have, or can't find, the COA, what else can I do?

    A: You can enter the Product ID if a COA is not available. To find the Product ID in Windows Server 2003, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

    Q: I received an "Invalid COA" message and cannot submit my order, what can I do?

    A: First, please ensure that you are entering the correct value into the COA serial number field. The COA serial number is located on a sticker that is generally attached to the back or undercarriage of your computer. The COA serial number is located under the 25 character product key, and begins with "000".

    If you follow the above instructions and still receive an error, please enter the Product ID instead. To find the Product ID in Windows Server 2003, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

    Q: I entered a COA and Product ID and neither is valid, what else can I do?

    A: Verify the software you want to exchange is included in the Technology Advancement Software. If the software you have to exchange is included then verify the software was acquired between March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2005.

    Q: Can I order my Technology Advancement Software from this site if the Product ID contains the letters "OEM"?

    A: Yes you may, however, Microsoft recommends that you visit your server manufacturer's web site to determine if they are supporting the program first. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

    Q: After entering my COA, I received a "DupeCOA" message. What should I do?

    A: Please send an email to and specify the error message received and the COA that you entered.

    Q: Do I need to specify the 25 digit product key in the order process?

    A: No, the 25 digit product key is not used in the Technology Advancement Program.

    Q: How do I check on my order status?

    A: You will receive an order confirmation email once your order is placed and soon after your order is shipped. If you have any order, shipping, or billing-related questions please email .

    Q: When will I receive my Technology Advancement Software after ordering?

    A: Due to large demand, it will take about 4-6 weeks after ordering to receive your shipment.

    Payment

    Q: Who can I contact if I have questions about my order, the shipping of my order, or payment?

    A: For order, shipping, and billing details, you may visit the order website. For inquires on any of these items, please email . If you've made a payment and have questions about the charges, please call the number that appears below the charge description on your credit card statement.

    Q: What payment methods can I use to pay for shipping, handling, and any customs duty charges?

    A: The payment methods available to pay for shipping, handling, and any custom duty charges are: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

    Setup/Installation:

    Q: What setup and installation considerations should I have when installing Windows x64 Edition?

    A: The Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition installation process is similar to the installation process for the 32-bit Windows operating system. The x64 installation still copies the needed files to temporary folders, restarts the computer into graphical user interface (GUI) mode, performs Plug and Play (PnP) detection and installation, and then finishes the set up process. However, some GUI mode graphics have been updated to profile new features in x64. To the end user, the installation procedure appears nearly the same as a 32-bit Windows installation. For details, please see knowledge base article 896334.

    Billie Volkova, May 11, 2005