Fantastic Four Director's Cut DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/2196.asp

    Fantastic Four Director's Cut DVD

    Can we expect a director's cut Fantastic Four DVD with deleted scenes
    and more special effects?

    Director Tim Story believes more fans will enjoy never-before-seen
    footage from the smash hit 105 minute Fantastic Four coming to DVD in
    a few months. The director also lets us all in on what special goodies
    he plans to include on the upcoming DVD.

    "I feel like now people have seen the kind of fast- paced ‘get in and
    out’ version,” Story said. “We’re talking [about] only a handful of
    scenes that I might put back into the movie just to allow the movie to
    breathe a little bit."

    Many directors take issue with the term “director’s cut,” insisting
    that adding more does not necessarily make the film better. But Story
    is okay with creating additional versions with films under the right
    conditions.

    "I don’t mind that, as long as I have the say so of what [is put back
    in]," he said.

    "There are a couple of things with special effects in them that we
    actually finished up and then [will] put into the movie, so it’ll be
    interesting to see how people respond to it," he said.

    To complement or offer an alternative to the extended cut, Story also
    has plans for the standard array of DVD extras for Fantastic Four.

    "There are going to be a lot of deleted scenes and commentaries, and
    we’re going to have a lot of special effects features," he said.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Allan

    Jordan Guest

    "I feel like now people have seen the kind of fast- paced 'get in and
    out' version," Story said. "We're talking [about] only a
    handful of
    scenes that I might put back into the movie just to allow the movie to
    breathe a little bit."

    Funny, that's not how the critics described it:

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Allan

    Jordan Guest

    I meant the fast pacing. Most of the reviewers said there were really
    only 2 action pieces and the rest was just a lot of talking.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Jordan wrote:

    > "I feel like now people have seen the kind of fast- paced 'get in and
    > out' version," Story said. "We're talking [about] only a
    > handful of
    > scenes that I might put back into the movie just to allow the movie to
    > breathe a little bit."
    >
    > Funny, that's not how the critics described it:

    No, no, they pretty much described it as a "Get-in, get-out, and race
    recklessly toward the end credits before anything actually happens in
    the story" movie--
    Apparently, the director thinks that pace is too reckless and now wants
    to add scenes where even *less* happens...

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Aug 1, 2005
  5. Jordan wrote:
    > I meant the fast pacing. Most of the reviewers said there were really
    > only 2 action pieces and the rest was just a lot of talking.
    >
    > - Jordan

    Yet the film is minting money.....

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 2, 2005
  6. The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:

    > Jordan wrote:
    >
    >> I meant the fast pacing. Most of the reviewers said there were really
    >> only 2 action pieces and the rest was just a lot of talking.

    > Yet the film is minting money.....

    Well, be glad they're getting it from somewhere, 'cause it sure ain't
    MAKING any at the moment... ;)

    Derek Janssen (but then, even "The Island" never stooped to counterfeiting)
    Derek Janssen, Aug 2, 2005
  7. Allan

    Jordan Guest

    He does have a point, worldwide it has made 1/4 of a billion dollars.
    But I just thought of something when I went over to Box Office Mojo to
    look up that stat...

    Alexander comes out on DVD today and it's supposed to be an extended,
    extra special cut of the film...

    Does it seem to you that studios are rushing films to theaters when
    they need obvious work based on the premise that they can just correct
    any problems with the film for the DVD release?

    I mean, if pacing is a problem in Fantastic Four why didn't they care
    enough to fix the problem with the theatrical release? Why wait for
    DVD? Pacing would seem to me to be a prime component of a film, like
    lighting. You wouldn't have a studio go "Wow, that film is wayyyyy to
    dark. Ah, screw it, release it anyway and we'll fix it for the DVD."

    I noticed this, to a lesser extent, with the final Lord of the Rings
    movie. You have this big pink orc who is built up to be one of the key
    bad guys and he just vanishes 1/2 way through the movie. You have to
    get the extra special extended cut of the film to see what happens to
    him.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Aug 2, 2005
  8. Jordan wrote:

    > I mean, if pacing is a problem in Fantastic Four why didn't they care
    > enough to fix the problem with the theatrical release? Why wait for
    > DVD? Pacing would seem to me to be a prime component of a film, like
    > lighting. You wouldn't have a studio go "Wow, that film is wayyyyy to
    > dark. Ah, screw it, release it anyway and we'll fix it for the DVD."
    >
    > I noticed this, to a lesser extent, with the final Lord of the Rings
    > movie. You have this big pink orc who is built up to be one of the key
    > bad guys and he just vanishes 1/2 way through the movie. You have to
    > get the extra special extended cut of the film to see what happens to
    > him.

    LOTR *had* all the extra footage to show off (and book-fans were
    demanding it, hence the twenty minutes of fan-credits)--

    But, as noted, most Extended Editions nowadays tend to be
    marketable-but-failed "Elektra"-type movies that range from "Wretched
    mess" to "Darnit, just COULD have done a little better at the box office
    if the director hadn't been so lazy"--And now hope to salvage their
    wounded reputation by saying "Don't worry, it's not the movie you saw in
    theaters, so it might be *better* this time!"
    (Despite the fact that what the original movie most likely cut for
    marketing reasons were the "boring" dialogue, exposition, and
    extraneous-subplot scenes.)

    In F4's case, however, unless there's an entire missing plot on the
    cutting-room floor, the brain damage started at the head...

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Aug 2, 2005
  9. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Jordan" <> wrote:

    > Alexander comes out on DVD today and it's supposed to be an extended,
    > extra special cut of the film...

    There's nothing "extended" about it. It's a 'Directors Cut' that's 8
    minutes shorter than the theatrical cut(which is also available
    seperately on dvd). It's supposedly more "action oriented" or some such
    nonsense. I couldn't see much difference. The movie is still a steaming
    pile of crap, just like it's clueless asshole director.

    Black Locust, Aug 3, 2005