    transfar to fit it on a single layer disc. I though the major studios
    stopped doing this years ago.

    T.B.
    T.B., Sep 29, 2007

  2. In article <46feb52a$0$19643$>,
    "T.B." <> writes:
    > I noticed advance copies of the new Fantastic Four movie single disc version
    > on a few store racks this weekend ahead to Tuesday's street date and they
    > appear to be single layer flippers with a full screen version on one side
    > and a widescreen version on the other. Add to that the few extras included
    > and this dvd has to look pretty mediocre with a significantly compressed
    > transfar to fit it on a single layer disc. I though the major studios
    > stopped doing this years ago.

    I have the DVD and it's only 1:31 long. It looks just fine.
    I was surprised to see a flipper, 1st one I've seen since dual layer
    DVDs stared showing up.
    David E. Bath, Oct 7, 2007

  3. On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:49:20 GMT, (David E. Bath)
    wrote:

    >In article <46feb52a$0$19643$>,
    > "T.B." <> writes:
    >> I noticed advance copies of the new Fantastic Four movie single disc version
    >> on a few store racks this weekend ahead to Tuesday's street date and they
    >> appear to be single layer flippers with a full screen version on one side
    >> and a widescreen version on the other. Add to that the few extras included
    >> and this dvd has to look pretty mediocre with a significantly compressed
    >> transfar to fit it on a single layer disc. I though the major studios
    >> stopped doing this years ago.

    >I have the DVD and it's only 1:31 long. It looks just fine.
    >I was surprised to see a flipper, 1st one I've seen since dual layer
    >DVDs stared showing up.

    Nonsense. Dual layer was around from nearly the beginning. Even your
    "flipper" is dual layer per side.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 7, 2007
  4. T.B.

    Jordan Guest

    On Sep 29, 1:27 pm, "T.B." <> wrote:

    > Add to that the few extras included
    > and this dvd has to look pretty mediocre with a significantly compressed
    > transfar to fit it on a single layer disc. I though the major studios
    > stopped doing this years ago.

    That's not technically the definition of a flipper disc. Flipper discs
    are flicks that you actually have to flip to finish watching the
    movie. The only one I have like that is the original version of the
    Wild Bunch, side 1 ends around 90 minutes in then you flip the disc
    and finish watching the movie.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Oct 8, 2007
  5. T.B.

    Tarkus Guest

    Jordan wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 1:27 pm, "T.B." <> wrote:
    >
    >> Add to that the few extras included
    >> and this dvd has to look pretty mediocre with a significantly compressed
    >> transfar to fit it on a single layer disc. I though the major studios
    >> stopped doing this years ago.

    > That's not technically the definition of a flipper disc. Flipper discs
    > are flicks that you actually have to flip to finish watching the
    > movie. The only one I have like that is the original version of the
    > Wild Bunch, side 1 ends around 90 minutes in then you flip the disc
    > and finish watching the movie.

    The original "Stargate" was like that too.

    --
    Now Playing: Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Moonlight Lady
    Tarkus, Oct 8, 2007
  6. T.B.

    Tweek Guest

    Tarkus <> wrote in

    >> That's not technically the definition of a flipper disc. Flipper
    >> discs are flicks that you actually have to flip to finish watching
    >> the movie. The only one I have like that is the original version of
    >> the Wild Bunch, side 1 ends around 90 minutes in then you flip the
    >> disc and finish watching the movie.

    > The original "Stargate" was like that too.

    The only one I've encountered was "The Right Stuff".
    Tweek, Oct 8, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    ChairmanOfTheBored <> writes:
    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:49:20 GMT, (David E. Bath)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <46feb52a$0$19643$>,
    >> "T.B." <> writes:
    >>> I noticed advance copies of the new Fantastic Four movie single disc version
    >>> on a few store racks this weekend ahead to Tuesday's street date and they
    >>> appear to be single layer flippers with a full screen version on one side
    >>> and a widescreen version on the other. Add to that the few extras included
    >>> and this dvd has to look pretty mediocre with a significantly compressed
    >>> transfar to fit it on a single layer disc. I though the major studios
    >>> stopped doing this years ago.

    >>I have the DVD and it's only 1:31 long. It looks just fine.
    >>I was surprised to see a flipper, 1st one I've seen since dual layer
    >>DVDs stared showing up.

    > Nonsense. Dual layer was around from nearly the beginning. Even your
    > "flipper" is dual layer per side.

    I bought quite a few DVDs before the first dual layer ones came out,
    something like 30-40. And what difference does it make when dual layer
    came out since that was when the double sided DVDs with single layers
    quit being made which was my point.

    I still have several actual flipper DVDs that
    have to be flipped to watch the entire movie, that's why I bought a
    Sony 300 CD changer that can play both sides.

    And this DVD is not dual layer as I checked it and it only has 4.7G on
    each side.
    David E. Bath, Oct 9, 2007
  8. T.B.

    Tarkus Guest

    David E. Bath wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > ChairmanOfTheBored <> writes:
    >> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:49:20 GMT, (David E. Bath)
    >> wrote:

    >>> I have the DVD and it's only 1:31 long. It looks just fine.
    >>> I was surprised to see a flipper, 1st one I've seen since dual layer
    >>> DVDs stared showing up.

    >> Nonsense. Dual layer was around from nearly the beginning. Even your
    >> "flipper" is dual layer per side.

    > I bought quite a few DVDs before the first dual layer ones came out,
    > something like 30-40. And what difference does it make when dual layer
    > came out since that was when the double sided DVDs with single layers
    > quit being made which was my point.
    >
    > I still have several actual flipper DVDs that
    > have to be flipped to watch the entire movie, that's why I bought a
    > Sony 300 CD changer that can play both sides.
    >
    > And this DVD is not dual layer as I checked it and it only has 4.7G on
    > each side.

    Not surprising, since despite the "nonsense" comment, there are very few
    DVD-18s out there. They use two DVD-9s instead, if necessary. Most
    flippers (including the ws/fs variety) are indeed single layer on each side.
    Tarkus, Oct 9, 2007