    I understand Disney is going to stop marketing some titles, including
    Fantasia 60th Anniversary edition.

    How is this DVD version of Fantasia?
    Pat, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Pat <> wrote:

    > I understand Disney is going to stop marketing some titles, including
    > Fantasia 60th Anniversary edition.

    > How is this DVD version of Fantasia?

    Still edited for the sake of political correctness.

    Colin
    Colin Caulkins, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Pat

    jayembee Guest

    Colin Caulkins <> wrote:

    >Pat <> wrote:
    >
    >> I understand Disney is going to stop marketing some titles, including
    >> Fantasia 60th Anniversary edition.

    >> How is this DVD version of Fantasia?

    >Still edited for the sake of political correctness.

    But still the best version quality-wise you'll ever find on home
    video.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Pat

    Davywiz Guest

    The picture quality is pretty good. However, there were several things I was
    disappointed by:

    1. As mentioned by someone earlier, it is still the "politically correct"
    version with the black centaurettes digitally removed from the Pastoral
    Symphony.

    2. Deems Taylor's full-length commentary has been restored, which is
    interesting for historical purposes but entirely unnecessary for most of
    today's audiences, as he pretty much describes what is going to happen on the
    screen. Plus the voice isn't even his, as the full-length audio tracks were not
    found so a voice double that doesn't even sound like him has now looped his
    monologues!

    3. I found the sound to be disappointing compared to the theatrical release.
    The laserdisc had more directional sound than the DVD release, and the
    surrounds seem to be minimal to zip. . .compare this to the theatrical version
    in which the bell that summons the Ave Maria processional is heard from the
    REAR of the theatre. I wish this could have been duplicated now that they have
    the technology to do so.

    Notwithstanding, I found the purchase of the 3-disc box set to be an excellent
    value and the extras are terrific. I'd actually recommend getting this if you
    don't already have Fantasia2000.

    Dave

    Davywiz, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Pat

    Wade365 Guest

    << I found the sound to be disappointing compared to the theatrical release.
    The laserdisc had more directional sound than the DVD release, and the
    surrounds seem to be minimal to zip. >>

    Was Fantasia even presented in stereo originally? I'm hazy on this, but I don't
    think so... where would they get anything to fudge a surround track together,
    that being the case?

    Curious.
    Wade365, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Pat

    Davywiz Guest

    >Was Fantasia even presented in stereo originally? I'm hazy on this, but I
    >don't
    >think so... where would they get anything to fudge a surround track together,
    >that being the case?
    >
    >Curious.

    Fantasia was the first and only film to use a process of early multichannel
    recording called Fantasound, appropriately dubbed by Disney and company. The
    theatres were equipped with expensive sound systems, with speakers all around
    the whole theatre that created an entire sound environment with not only
    stereo, but directional sound from behind the screen, the sides, and behind the
    audience. This was totally revolutionary for the time (and still considered
    more ambitious than anything since) but only a few theatres showed it for a
    limited time because of budgetary constraints caused by the war. The Fantasound
    tracks, which apparently sounded pretty amazing even by today's standards, were
    later transferred to magnetic tape with a loss of fidelity and is (I think) all
    that survives today.
    Davywiz, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Pat

    Wade365 Guest

    << Fantasia was the first and only film to use a process of early multichannel
    recording called Fantasound >>

    As a sound engineer for the last 20 years, I find this facinating... and I wish
    I had heard of this before but thanks for telling me now! I've spent all this
    time with music and I never knew that this technique was attempted... granted I
    haven't been working in film ever, but you get the idea. (No sarcasm intended
    or implied! Thanks again!)
    Wade365, Dec 7, 2003
  8. Pat

    Larry Gold Guest

    its a 3 disc box set

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life

    Larry Gold, Dec 8, 2003
  9. (Wade365) wrote:

    ><< Fantasia was the first and only film to use a process of early multichannel
    >recording called Fantasound >>
    >
    >As a sound engineer for the last 20 years, I find this facinating... and I wish
    >I had heard of this before but thanks for telling me now! I've spent all this
    >time with music and I never knew that this technique was attempted... granted I
    >haven't been working in film ever, but you get the idea. (No sarcasm intended
    >or implied! Thanks again!)

    You should love these links then.

    http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/sound/Fantasound1.htm
    http://www.mtsu.edu/~smpte/forties.html

    Peter
    Peter Rongsted, Dec 8, 2003
  10. Pat

    Wade365 Guest

    Thank you SO much for those links... it's like getting a picture of the Dawn of
    Time!!!

    : )

    ~WadeZilla~
    Wade365, Dec 8, 2003
  11. Pat

    Wade365 Guest

    Know any good links about Sensaround and more specifically the damage those sub
    speakers were reported to cause?
    Wade365, Dec 8, 2003
  12. (Wade365) wrote:

    >Know any good links about Sensaround and more specifically the damage those sub
    >speakers were reported to cause?

    The American WideScreen Museum has more about sound systems at:
    http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/sound/sound04.htm#soundindex

    A Google search will give more than 4100 hits. But you'll have to search
    for Sensurround ;-) Only problem is, that the term has been used for
    many things since the introduction. Be sure to check out:

    http://members.aol.com/earthquakemovie/trivia.html
    http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/motionpicture.html

    Peter
    Peter Rongsted, Dec 9, 2003
  13. Pat

    Smaug69 Guest

    pamless (Davywiz) wrote in message news:<>...
    > The picture quality is pretty good. However, there were several things I was
    > disappointed by:
    >
    > 1. As mentioned by someone earlier, it is still the "politically correct"
    > version with the black centaurettes digitally removed from the Pastoral
    > Symphony.

    Those shots were removed from every theatrical re-release since 1960
    and have never appeared in any home video release. Disney has gone to
    great lengths to deny that those shots even existed and that they ever
    created such a character so why would anyone be looking for these
    shots to magically reappear in a DVD version and be disappointed if
    they didn't? This is Disney, after all.

    Smaug69(Who's still trying to find a DisneyDVD Player)
    Smaug69, Dec 9, 2003
  14. Pat

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <Xns944C9B1B2FB4Blinkvb06@204.186.201.17>, Aaron J. Bossig
    <> wrote:

    > > Smaug69(Who's still trying to find a DisneyDVD Player)

    > Happy shopping.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ygxu
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ygxz
    >
    > Naturally, you'll want something to watch those DisneyDVDs on:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ygya
    >
    > Glad I could help! :) How nauseous do you feel?

    No different then anime companies releaseing custom dvd players to go
    along with some of their box sets. I think there's a Studio Ghibli dvd
    player, and maybe a Sakura Wars one...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Dec 9, 2003
  15. Aaron J. Bossig, Dec 9, 2003
  16. Pat

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message news:<Xns944C9B1B2FB4Blinkvb06@204.186.201.17>...
    > > Smaug69(Who's still trying to find a DisneyDVD Player)

    > Happy shopping.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ygxu
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ygxz
    >
    > Naturally, you'll want something to watch those DisneyDVDs on:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ygya
    >
    > Glad I could help! :) How nauseous do you feel?

    But those are Disney Princess and Disney Classic DVD players. I don't
    have any Disney Princess or Disney Classic DVDs. I only have
    DisneyDVDs. I guess I have to keep looking.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Dec 10, 2003
  17. Pat

    Wade365 Guest

    So is Disney pulling all of the remaining copies of "Fantasia 60th Ann.
    Edition" at some point as they have done with other titles? I missed that part
    of the thread, possibly.

    BTW - It steams me that they call it "Original & Uncut" on the cover no matter
    how long they've had it editted as such, but what are you going to do? It's
    still a brilliant milestone of animation censorship or no...

    Speaking of possibly objectionable material with a classical soundtrack, is
    "Alegro Non Tropo" out yet?
    Wade365, Dec 10, 2003
  18. Pat

    Lothar Guest