Fan for Gigabyte Radeon 9000 Pro (Maya) ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Daniel, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:38:38 +1200, Daniel wrote:

    > Can anyone help me source a 40mm vga fan, with a 2 pin power connector for a Gigabyte Radeon
    > 9000 Pro (http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_Radeon9000PRO.htm). Sorry, I don't know
    > the part type or number.
    >
    > TIA.

    dick smiths have replacement vga heatsinks/fans. might work.

    --

    .... Brendan

    The woods would be very silent if only the birds with the sweetest songs were heard.

    Note: All comments are copyright 22/06/2004 2:31:34 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Unfortunately, those ones use 3 pin power connectors.

    Cheers.

    Daniel, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Daniel

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >Can anyone help me source a 40mm vga fan, with a 2 pin power connector for a Gigabyte Radeon
    >9000 Pro (http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_Radeon9000PRO.htm). Sorry, I don't know
    >the part type or number.
    >
    >TIA.

    It may be poossible to get a passive heatsink cooling solution for
    this. Those little fans are noisy, aren't they? For that reason I
    took the fan off my Radeon 7500 and that never gets hot, though I
    don't have 3D games.

    GraB, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Daniel

    Richard Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Unfortunately, those ones use 3 pin power connectors.

    So just plug it into your motherboard? Dont they also come with an adaptor to
    allow them to connect to a 5¼ drive power connector too?

    Richard, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Daniel

    Robert Guest

    Robert, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hmmm... interesting. I'll have to investigate.

    Thanks.

    Daniel, Jun 22, 2004
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    40mm square. Depth - I don't know. Don't have card on me at this moment.

    Daniel, Jun 22, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Yeah. Fan hasn't gotten progressively louder over time - sounds like a vaccum cleaner. It got
    so bad, I wonder if the constant vibration on the may have caused a little damage to my CRT
    monitors vga cable (???)

    Daniel, Jun 22, 2004
  10. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I think I like that idea better than a new fan. Can you give me any sources?

    Thanks.

    Daniel, Jun 22, 2004
  11. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Okay, looks like the Vantec Iceberq 4 Pro ($38 from Ascent) is what I may be looking for.

    Daniel, Jun 23, 2004
  12. Daniel

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:06:41 +1200, Daniel wrote:

    > Unfortunately, those ones use 3 pin power connectors.

    Annoying. Could just cut that off and solder the appropriate wires directly
    onto the pins on the card.

    After all, how often are you changing fans on it ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    RASH, adj. Insensible to the value of our advice. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All comments are copyright 23/06/2004 1:36:31 a.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 23, 2004
  13. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Apparently, I might be able to replace the 2 pin connector with a 3 pin one - I think it
    just pops out (??). Then I can install a _decent_ cooler, like the Vantec Iceberq 4.

    Daniel, Jun 23, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    That should've been the Vantec Iceberq 4 (not the pro version), in case
    anyone else is in a similar predicament.

    Daniel, Jun 25, 2004
  15. Daniel

    GraB Guest

    http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=46&code=013