Famous Players - No More Cheese

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Autodidact, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. Autodidact

    Autodidact Guest

    For the past few years I've been seeing one or two movies per week at the
    theatre. I would *only* go to Famous Players theatres, because I was
    addicted to their white cheddar topping for their popcorn. It appeals to me
    so much that I'll often see a movie I'm not interested in, just as an excuse
    to kill a couple hours eating cheesy popcorn.

    So I go to see Open Water on Friday afternoon. I get the usual large
    popcorn/drink combo with layered butter, and proceed to the cheese
    station for cheesification. What's this, no cheese? Okay, no problem, fill
    it up, ticket-ripper kid. The kid tells me they've discontinued the popcorn
    toppings. Okay, seeya later Famous Players.

    I returned my snack combo and also my ticket, total of $22.50. Went to the
    video store and bought copies of Waking Life and Titan AE for $7.99 each,
    and rented three other movies for an additional $8. From now on it's DVD,
    except for the most necessary movies. For big movies like the next Star
    Wars, I think I'll go to AMC where they at least let you butter your own
    popcorn.

    There's just too much frustration in the movie-going process to justify the
    cost of going regularly any more. I'm sure I'll still catch a movie here
    and there at my local FP, since it's the most convenient location. I could
    probably get used to just having frozen yogurt, but that doesn't last very
    long.

    As a side benefit, I'll probably lose a few pounds.

    Autodidact, Aug 22, 2004

  2. On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Autodidact wrote:

    > For the past few years I've been seeing one or two movies per week at the
    > theatre. I would *only* go to Famous Players theatres, because I was
    > addicted to their white cheddar topping for their popcorn. It appeals to me
    > so much that I'll often see a movie I'm not interested in, just as an excuse
    > to kill a couple hours eating cheesy popcorn.
    >
    > So I go to see Open Water on Friday afternoon. I get the usual large
    > popcorn/drink combo with layered butter, and proceed to the cheese
    > station for cheesification. What's this, no cheese? Okay, no problem, fill
    > it up, ticket-ripper kid. The kid tells me they've discontinued the popcorn
    > toppings. Okay, seeya later Famous Players.

    You could always buy your own topping at the Bulk Barn.

    swac
    Maybe Empire buying the Famous Players theaters on the East Coast wasn't
    such a bad thing after all...

    Stephen Cooke, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Autodidact

    Autodidact Guest

    Stephen Cooke <> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Autodidact wrote:
    >
    > > For the past few years I've been seeing one or two movies per week at

    the
    > > theatre. I would *only* go to Famous Players theatres, because I was
    > > addicted to their white cheddar topping for their popcorn. It appeals to

    me
    > > so much that I'll often see a movie I'm not interested in, just as an

    excuse
    > > to kill a couple hours eating cheesy popcorn.
    > >
    > > So I go to see Open Water on Friday afternoon. I get the usual large
    > > popcorn/drink combo with layered butter, and proceed to the cheese
    > > station for cheesification. What's this, no cheese? Okay, no problem,

    fill
    > > it up, ticket-ripper kid. The kid tells me they've discontinued the

    popcorn
    > > toppings. Okay, seeya later Famous Players.

    > You could always buy your own topping at the Bulk Barn.

    Nope. It has to be the Famous Players popcorn and the Famous Players white
    cheddar topping. Any other cheddar topping doesn't even come close.

    Autodidact, Aug 22, 2004
  4. Autodidact

    Aphelion Guest

    > There's just too much frustration in the movie-going process to justify
    the
    > cost of going regularly any more...

    I agree. If the projected picture isn't dim, there's some asshole talking
    behind you during the movie or a crying baby. Going to the movies has
    become a nerve-wracking experience.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Autodidact

    Doonie Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:51:50 GMT, Aphelion wrote:

    >> There's just too much frustration in the movie-going process to justify

    >the
    >> cost of going regularly any more...

    >I agree. If the projected picture isn't dim, there's some asshole talking
    >behind you during the movie or a crying baby. Going to the movies has
    >become a nerve-wracking experience.

    I hate how all the seats are joined together so if someone in the
    row behind you is kicking the seat in front of him, everybody in your
    row feels it.

    --
    http://www.loudnessrace.net

    Doonie, Aug 23, 2004
  6. Autodidact

    Guest

    I gave up the theater a few years ago. People just suck. They don't get
    the concept of sitting quiet and still in the dark and watching the
    movie.

    I tried just going on Christmas day. With only 30 cars in the parking
    lot some jerk parked in front of me with the row of cars in back of me
    pretty much trapping me.

    , Aug 23, 2004