FAMILY PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by annika1980@aol.com, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Jan 8, 2006

  2. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > The Canon 20D is always great to have around for family gatherings.
    > Or in the field.
    > Or even family gatherings in the field!
    >

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54557358

    Nasty bokeh...but that's pretty hard to avoid at f8 on such a bright,
    intricately busy background like dead grass/shrubs...

    Mark², Jan 8, 2006

  3. Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <54gwf.8740$V.2942@fed1read04>,
    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > The Canon 20D is always great to have around for family gatherings.
    > > Or in the field.
    > > Or even family gatherings in the field!
    > >

    > > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54557358

    > Nasty bokeh...but that's pretty hard to avoid at f8 on such a bright,
    > intricately busy background like dead grass/shrubs...

    Exactly what I was thinking.

    Is it just me, or does the 20D standard lens have much worse bokeh than
    the D70 standard lenses (both the 18-70 and the cheap 70-300 in the two
    lens kits)?

    Compare, say, this, with my D70s:

    http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/73470970/

    To this, taken with a friend's 20D:

    http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/78871524/

    btw, before I got the Nikon, I was afraid that it wouldn't have as nice
    colour as the Canons, based on photos I'd seen on the web. But I think
    these allayed my fears:

    http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/72644773/
    http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/72644774/in/photostream/

    All pics taken by my flatemate.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Mark² Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > In article <54gwf.8740$V.2942@fed1read04>,
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> The Canon 20D is always great to have around for family gatherings.
    >>> Or in the field.
    >>> Or even family gatherings in the field!
    >>>

    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54557358

    >> Nasty bokeh...but that's pretty hard to avoid at f8 on such a bright,
    >> intricately busy background like dead grass/shrubs...

    > Exactly what I was thinking.
    >
    > Is it just me, or does the 20D standard lens have much worse bokeh
    > than the D70 standard lenses (both the 18-70 and the cheap 70-300 in
    > the two lens kits)?

    I don't know, but that's not the lens Bret was using for that image.

    > Compare, say, this, with my D70s:
    >
    > http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/73470970/
    >
    > To this, taken with a friend's 20D:
    >
    > http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/78871524/

    I don't think it's a Canon-Nikon issue, really.
    Both companies have lenses that produce very nice background renditions.
    Remember, too, that there are many aspects of particular shots that help
    determine bokeh. It's not just the optic and aperture mechanism. -It's
    also the aperture itself, the distance between the subject and its
    background...the relative distance of camera...to subject...to background,
    the severity (or lack of) highlights within the background, etc., etc., etc.

    > btw, before I got the Nikon, I was afraid that it wouldn't have as
    > nice colour as the Canons, based on photos I'd seen on the web. But
    > I think these allayed my fears:
    >
    > http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/72644773/
    > http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/72644774/in/photostream/

    Those are nice, though I really don't think we can make a general statement
    one way of the other as to which has the "best color." As you already
    noted, both are certainly capable of fantastic color. Where the color is
    poor, it's usually something we're doing wrong... :)

    Mark², Jan 9, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:10:30 -0800, "Mark2 <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54557358

    >Nasty bokeh...but that's pretty hard to avoid at f8 on such a bright,
    >intricately busy background like dead grass/shrubs...

    Yeah, I wasn't expecting miracles handholding that combo (400+1.4x),
    but that background was damned Buttugly!

    , Jan 9, 2006
  6. RoseW Guest

    wrote:
    | On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:10:30 -0800, "Mark2 <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    | here)@cox..net> wrote:
    |
    || http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54557358
    |
    || Nasty bokeh...but that's pretty hard to avoid at f8 on such a bright,
    || intricately busy background like dead grass/shrubs...
    |
    | Yeah, I wasn't expecting miracles handholding that combo (400+1.4x),
    | but that background was damned Buttugly!

    SO that is what those cranes look like up close! My brother lives in
    northern British Columbia, Canada and when flocks of Sandhill Cranes fly
    over he reports to me in away over in the east in Ontario for it means
    Spring is on its way 'up north'. I gather they also make their own
    honking noises as they fly over the mountain ranges. You should send
    your photo to a bird identity collection for this is a better capture
    than what I have seen previously in such texts. <grin>
    RoseW

    RoseW, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:40:27 -0500, "RoseW" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >| On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:10:30 -0800, "Mark2 <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    >| here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >|
    >|| http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54557358
    >|
    >|| Nasty bokeh...but that's pretty hard to avoid at f8 on such a bright,
    >|| intricately busy background like dead grass/shrubs...
    >|
    >| Yeah, I wasn't expecting miracles handholding that combo (400+1.4x),
    >| but that background was damned Buttugly!
    >
    >SO that is what those cranes look like up close! My brother lives in
    >northern British Columbia, Canada and when flocks of Sandhill Cranes fly
    >over he reports to me in away over in the east in Ontario for it means
    >Spring is on its way 'up north'. I gather they also make their own
    >honking noises as they fly over the mountain ranges. You should send
    >your photo to a bird identity collection for this is a better capture
    >than what I have seen previously in such texts. <grin>
    >RoseW

    Those Sandhill Cranes are on their way to my neighborhood. There are
    several families that live on the golf course that my house fronts on.
    The image doesn't give you an idea of their size. They can be up to
    five feet tall.

    I don't need a long lens to photograph them. You can walk up to about
    five or ten yards from them. When you do get too close, they don't
    fly off. They just walk away. My dog will chase after them, but the
    dog backs down. The cranes don't seem to get particularly agitated.

    Their honk, or call, or whatever it is the noise they make is can be
    extremely annoying. You get a few of them honking back and forth at
    each other and it's a raucous din.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL