"Family Guy" DVD Breaking Records - What I Miss?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by solipsistic@earthlink.net, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Guest

    http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=1584513

    <So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

    A T-V flop is a hit on D-V-D

    Undated-AP -- High ratings were hard to come by on FOX for the
    animated comedy "Family Guy," but its a whole different story on
    D-V-D.

    Eighteen months after "Family Guy" was canceled, it's breaking D-V-D
    sales records.

    "Family Guy: Volume One" has sold nearly one (m) million copies,
    making it 2003's top-selling T-V show on D-V-D. It's the number four
    television title ever.

    Volume two is now on sale and has sold more than half a (m) million
    copies.

    Reruns of "Family Guy" are also getting good ratings on Cartoon
    Network.

    "Family Guy" is a sometimes crude version of the Simpsons with an
    obnoxious dad, an understanding mom and some wacky kids.

    FOX apparently isn't about to let the "Family Guy" success stop. There
    is talk that the network may bring the show back, possibly by next
    year.

    It would be the first time a show was brought back from the dead
    because of booming D-V-D sales.

    AP Links:

    www.foxhome.com

    Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
    may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

    , Jan 3, 2004

  2. Metlhd3138 Guest

    ><So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    >of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    >it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

    The parodies are dead-on. Plus its always good to see a New Englander make good
    (no adam sandler jokes please). Plus it fits great into cartoon networks adult
    swim block.

    Metlhd3138, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Codswallop Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:02:48 GMT, wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    > of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    > it for a few minutes at a time while flipping

    Yeah, when this show first aired on TV, I thought it was a sad piece of
    crap; and ripped off the Simpsons. I think only the first series (and
    possibly some of the second) was shown here in Australia.

    However, a friend of mine was praising the show like it was directed by
    Jesus himself, so I downloaded a couple of episodes (this is before it
    was released on DVD).

    What can I say? I was hooked! I ended up downloading the whole three
    series and loved every minute of it. Just waiting for the DVDs to get a
    bit cheaper before I buy them.

    Trust me, the series is great. I still don't think it's for everyone,
    but most people I know love it -- though most never gave it a chance
    the first time they saw it.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Louis Guest

    "Metlhd3138" <> wrote in message
    > ><So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    > >of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    > >it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

    > The parodies are dead-on. Plus its always good to see a New Englander make

    good
    > (no adam sandler jokes please). Plus it fits great into cartoon networks

    adult
    > swim block.

    Yeah, along with Futurama, the two greatest, canceled shows I can recall.
    Considering the crap which gets renewed (especially comedy), it's
    practically a crime against humanity.

    Louis, Jan 4, 2004
  5. I bought the entire series on VCD off eBay way before the DVD was even
    announced. Now, of course, I have bought both sets on DVD as well;-)

    Great show!

    Richard in Boston, MA, USA

    (snip)

    Richard G Amirault, Jan 4, 2004
  6. CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    >of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    >it for a few minutes at a time while flipping

    Dumb people like bad comedy and there are a lot of dumb people in the world.

    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Peter Guest

    I think Fox killed the show because of poor time slots and constantly
    moving it around. Much like it Killed Futurama, another brilliant show.

    wrote:
    > http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=1584513
    >
    > <So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    > of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    > it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>
    >

    > A T-V flop is a hit on D-V-D
    >
    > Undated-AP -- High ratings were hard to come by on FOX for the
    > animated comedy "Family Guy," but its a whole different story on
    > D-V-D.
    >
    > Eighteen months after "Family Guy" was canceled, it's breaking D-V-D
    > sales records.
    >
    > "Family Guy: Volume One" has sold nearly one (m) million copies,
    > making it 2003's top-selling T-V show on D-V-D. It's the number four
    > television title ever.
    >
    > Volume two is now on sale and has sold more than half a (m) million
    > copies.
    >
    > Reruns of "Family Guy" are also getting good ratings on Cartoon
    > Network.
    >
    > "Family Guy" is a sometimes crude version of the Simpsons with an
    > obnoxious dad, an understanding mom and some wacky kids.
    >
    > FOX apparently isn't about to let the "Family Guy" success stop. There
    > is talk that the network may bring the show back, possibly by next
    > year.
    >
    > It would be the first time a show was brought back from the dead
    > because of booming D-V-D sales.
    >
    > AP Links:
    >
    > www.foxhome.com
    >
    > Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
    > may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

    --
    Please help stop Forced Trailers on DVD's
    Please sign the Petition at

    Peter, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Frank Guest

    "Louis" <> wrote in message

    > "Metlhd3138" <> wrote in message
    > > ><So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    > > >of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    > > >it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

    > > The parodies are dead-on. Plus its always good to see a New Englander

    make
    > good
    > > (no adam sandler jokes please). Plus it fits great into cartoon networks

    > adult
    > > swim block.

    > Yeah, along with Futurama, the two greatest, canceled shows I can recall.
    > Considering the crap which gets renewed (especially comedy), it's
    > practically a crime against humanity.

    Agreed - love both of these. Now if Fox would also bring back Futurama...

    Frank, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Metlhd3138 Guest

    >Now if Fox would also bring back Futurama...

    They cant! The show ended with leela and fyr walking away together. Its already
    got a solid ending,,we dont need to see the post-wedding eps.

    Metlhd3138, Jan 4, 2004
  10. nomis Guest

    In article <>,
    (Metlhd3138) wrote:

    > >Now if Fox would also bring back Futurama...
    > >

    > They cant! The show ended with leela and fyr walking away together. Its
    > already
    > got a solid ending,,we dont need to see the post-wedding eps.

    Though the ep can be seen as being an ending (one of the reasons
    Groening and company fought to have it aired last) it wasn't produced as
    such. I can't remember which episode WAS intended for the end (it might
    have been the ep with the cast of Star Trek--which they refer to as
    another classic sci-fi show cancelled before its time), but it definitly
    was the one we saw.

    And, of course, Matt and David have always wanted it to continue and
    there is talk of a movie.

    nomis

    http://www.oozingbrain.com

    home to _Withered Spirits: The Works of Terry Lamsley_
    and _The Big F Webpage_ (diehards unite!)

    nomis, Jan 4, 2004
  11. Jay G Guest

    "nomis" <> wrote ...

    > > >Now if Fox would also bring back Futurama...
    > > >

    > Though the ep can be seen as being an ending (one of the reasons
    > Groening and company fought to have it aired last) it wasn't produced as
    > such. I can't remember which episode WAS intended for the end (it might
    > have been the ep with the cast of Star Trek--which they refer to as
    > another classic sci-fi show cancelled before its time), but it definitly
    > was the one we saw.

    Don't you mean "wasn't the one we saw"? I'm not sure I agree
    with you, the last episode aired was the last one produced, and
    I think the team was still working on episodes after they were
    "cancelled." So while I don't see Season 4 as being the intended
    ending of the show, I do think they could've tweaked the last
    episode a bit so it would serve as an ending.

    The Star Trek one was produced mid-season, so I doubt
    it was ever intended to run at the end of the season.

    http://www.gotfuturama.com/Information/EpisodeGuide/4ACV/

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jan 4, 2004
  12. >I think Fox killed the show because of poor time slots and constantly
    >moving it around. Much like it Killed Futurama, another brilliant show.

    While Futurama is terrific, I wouldn't call Family Guy "brilliant." It has its
    brilliant moments, but I've also seen quite a few episodes where most of the
    jokes fail to elicit anything but a slight chuckle from me. Some episodes are
    absolutely hilarious, of course, but many of the jokes have me saying to
    myself, "They're trying too hard."

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    When toy shopping, look for the Joe Mantegna Seal Of Safety. It's your only
    guarantee that the toy has been deemed safe by Joe Mantegna.

    Sydney Assbasket, Jan 4, 2004
  13. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU CLOSEDOWN8
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    Pink?"
    >> So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    >> of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    >> it for a few minutes at a time while flipping

    > Dumb people like bad comedy and there are a lot of dumb people in the
    > world.

    So you liked "Gigli" eh?

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little
    A reminder to the world....

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Jan 5, 2004
  14. Peter Guest

    Well the reason that was done was because Fox didn't actually "Cancel"
    the show. They just didn't buy any new episodes. So it's sort of in
    limbo. However everyone working on it has gone on to other things. So it
    would be pretty unlikely for it to come back. Groening did the final
    episode that way because he wasn't sure that it was actually going to be
    the final episode. So he wrote it so that if it was, fine, there was a
    solid ending, but if Fox got it's ass in gear, and realised the gem that
    they had. Then they could continue on from there. So it was one of those
    "We ended it, but we could keep going" type episodes. (from what I hear.)

    Peter, Jan 5, 2004
  15. Peter Guest

    Sydney Assbasket wrote:
    >>I think Fox killed the show because of poor time slots and constantly
    >>moving it around. Much like it Killed Futurama, another brilliant show.
    >>

    > While Futurama is terrific, I wouldn't call Family Guy "brilliant." It has its
    > brilliant moments, but I've also seen quite a few episodes where most of the
    > jokes fail to elicit anything but a slight chuckle from me. Some episodes are
    > absolutely hilarious, of course, but many of the jokes have me saying to
    > myself, "They're trying too hard."
    >
    > Remove "moc" to reply.
    >
    > When toy shopping, look for the Joe Mantegna Seal Of Safety. It's your only
    > guarantee that the toy has been deemed safe by Joe Mantegna.

    Well brilliant, as far as any tv show is "Brilliant" these days. I'm
    sure there are many people here who think simpsons are brilliant. Well
    they were great between seasons 3 - 7. But seasons 8+ have been pretty
    much a waste of time. The new episodes I see, I don't even laugh. I
    stare at it thinking "Wow, it's really gone to hell" makes me wish they
    cancelled simpsons when it was still good... Oh well..

    Peter, Jan 5, 2004
  16. Jay G Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote...

    > Well brilliant, as far as any tv show is "Brilliant" these days. I'm
    > sure there are many people here who think simpsons are brilliant. Well
    > they were great between seasons 3 - 7. But seasons 8+ have been pretty
    > much a waste of time. The new episodes I see, I don't even laugh. I
    > stare at it thinking "Wow, it's really gone to hell" makes me wish they
    > cancelled simpsons when it was still good... Oh well..

    Well, they would've, but the ratings for it are still too good. That's
    what Futurama and Family Guy were, they were supposed to
    take the mantle when The Simpsons lost steam. However, while
    The Simpsons has lost all creative steam, it's still chugging along
    fine in regards to ratings.

    Some people think FOX deliberately tried to kill Family Guy
    and Futurama after they realized that The Simpsons was going
    to live forever (like a zombie). They had too many animated
    shows, so FOX just threw the shows out there to fend for
    themselves.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jan 5, 2004
  17. CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >So you liked "Gigli" eh?

    Wow. A "Gigli" joke, eh? You've found an untapped comedic avenue. Hold onto
    it, because before you know it, everyone will be making "Gigli" jokes.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Jan 5, 2004
  18. Peter Guest

    Jay G wrote:
    > "Peter" <> wrote...

    <snip>

    > Some people think FOX deliberately tried to kill Family Guy
    > and Futurama after they realized that The Simpsons was going
    > to live forever (like a zombie). They had too many animated
    > shows, so FOX just threw the shows out there to fend for
    > themselves.
    >
    > -Jay

    I think it's possible, I remember hearing an interview were Matt
    Groening expressed extreme annoyance with Fox when it kept moving
    Futurama around. I'm not sure if he was promised or not, but he felt it
    should have been a Simpsons/Futurama hour. Unfortunately fox felt that
    Malcolm in the middle (ack) would be best to go in that slot. Now that
    is a horrible show.

    Peter, Jan 6, 2004
  19. "Jay G" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter" <> wrote...
    > >
    > > Well brilliant, as far as any tv show is "Brilliant" these days. I'm
    > > sure there are many people here who think simpsons are brilliant. Well
    > > they were great between seasons 3 - 7. But seasons 8+ have been pretty
    > > much a waste of time. The new episodes I see, I don't even laugh. I
    > > stare at it thinking "Wow, it's really gone to hell" makes me wish they
    > > cancelled simpsons when it was still good... Oh well..

    > Well, they would've, but the ratings for it are still too good. That's
    > what Futurama and Family Guy were, they were supposed to
    > take the mantle when The Simpsons lost steam. However, while
    > The Simpsons has lost all creative steam, it's still chugging along
    > fine in regards to ratings.
    >
    > Some people think FOX deliberately tried to kill Family Guy
    > and Futurama after they realized that The Simpsons was going
    > to live forever (like a zombie). They had too many animated
    > shows, so FOX just threw the shows out there to fend for
    > themselves.
    >
    > -Jay

    Apparently a Family Guy movie is in the works. i have all three seasons on
    DVD, and having watched them all, I would say that at least 80% of it is top
    drawer hilarity. Some of the stuf I dont quite get like the references to
    American people/shows we dont know or get over here.

    ChuckLesnar420, Jan 6, 2004
  20. Eric R. Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=1584513
    >
    > <So what did you all see in this show that failed to elicit any kind
    > of response from me other then just slightly amused when I landed on
    > it for a few minutes at a time while flipping>

    IMHO, it was little more than a mediocre Simpsons knockoff. The only
    characters who made it at all funny were Stewie (the evil baby) and
    Brian (the Dog). AFAIK, they should just give those two their own show
    and jetison the rest of those 4th rate knockoff characters.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jan 6, 2004