    Arthur Bang
    "Open your ears, and open your mind"
    24 hours a day at http://www.thepickle.net/
    Arthur Bang, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Arthur Bang

    rwright Guest

    I just bought my FAMILY GUY Season 3 DVD set at Wal Mart for @ $39. There
    were only two left after I bought mine.

    Hmmm, someone at FOX must be kicking themselves for canceling this
    disgusting, tasteless and incredibly HILARIOUS tv show!

    "Come hither and give me heed."

    "Whoah, pal! I don't swing that way!"

    "Arthur Bang" <> wrote in message

    > I went today to Costco, and there was Family Guy Season 3 a week early..

    So I
    > go up to the counter to buy one, and they refuse to sell it to me..
    >
    > I know they could get in trouble for selling it, but i worked retail for 7
    > years and usually if it's out there it's their mistake and should still

    let the
    > customer buy one. Apparently when the girl at the register scanned it, it

    came

    rwright, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Arthur Bang

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >Hmmm, someone at FOX must be kicking themselves for canceling this
    >disgusting, tasteless and incredibly HILARIOUS tv show!

    Why would they be kicking themselves for canceling an unfunny and unsuccessful
    show?
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    Help bring "Freaks and Geeks" to DVD at http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/dvd/
    CLOSEDOWN8, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Arthur Bang

    Shadowhawk Guest

    >Why would they be kicking themselves for canceling an unfunny and
    >unsuccessful
    >show?
    >--------------------------------

    Hmmm... I know I'm going to be flamed for this, but uh... look at your
    signature...

    What goes around, comes around...

    >Help bring "Freaks and Geeks" to DVD at http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/dvd/

    Later,
    Shaun!
    Shadowhawk, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Arthur Bang

    Kishin Guest

    In article <>,
    ospam (Shadowhawk) wrote:

    > >Why would they be kicking themselves for canceling an unfunny and
    > >unsuccessful
    > >show?
    > >--------------------------------

    > Hmmm... I know I'm going to be flamed for this, but uh... look at your
    > signature...
    >
    > What goes around, comes around...
    >

    > >Help bring "Freaks and Geeks" to DVD at http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/dvd/

    Wham! Ya gotta love irony.

    But seriously, humor is subjective. I understand that some people don't
    find it funny. I laugh myself silly when I watch Family Guy, and I think
    it's a right clever show. And based on DVD sales, I am not alone.

    Kishin
    Kishin, Sep 5, 2003
  6. Arthur Bang

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <KNQ5b.512$2.webusenet.com> in
    alt.video.dvd, rwright <> wrote:
    >I just bought my FAMILY GUY Season 3 DVD set at Wal Mart for @ $39. There
    >were only two left after I bought mine.

    I just entered my order at DDDVD for $36.59. Now I wish I had looked
    in Wal-Mart first. Oh well, I'll be getting a present in the mail.
    :)

    >Hmmm, someone at FOX must be kicking themselves for canceling this
    >disgusting, tasteless and incredibly HILARIOUS tv show!

    It does seem to be doing much, much better on DVD than ever it did
    on the air.

    (Please don't post upside down, and please do trim quotes.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Sep 5, 2003
  7. Arthur Bang

    Moviezzz Guest

    >>Hmmm, someone at FOX must be kicking themselves for canceling this
    >>disgusting, tasteless and incredibly HILARIOUS tv show!

    No one watched. And the new cult status it has is sort of odd. It really
    wasn't that funny, and I wanted to love it.
    Moviezzz, Sep 5, 2003
  8. "Moviezzz" <> wrote in message
    > >>Hmmm, someone at FOX must be kicking themselves for canceling this
    > >>disgusting, tasteless and incredibly HILARIOUS tv show!

    > No one watched. And the new cult status it has is sort of odd. It really
    > wasn't that funny, and I wanted to love it.

    The show got decent ratings when fans knew it was on. It was a victim of
    pre-emting by Fox. It's pulling in some of the best ratings the Cartoon
    Network has seen.
    In fact word is that C.N. would like to make new episodes but Seth McFarlane
    is involved in another project.
    ominousspiritous, Sep 5, 2003
  9. Arthur Bang

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >No one watched. And the new cult status it has is sort of odd. It really
    >wasn't that funny, and I wanted to love it.

    I would have liked nothing more than to be satisfied with the show but shit is
    shit, regardless of the intent. Sure, it aims to be the kind of show I like,
    but it fails on every level. "Family Guy" is a perfect example of what happens
    when talentless people get confident. The complete lack of comedic knowhow
    would have been dismissable if not for the "wink, wink, we're so clever"
    mentality. The combination of the two resulted in something disgusting rather
    than something you could ignore. As for the similar fate "Freaks & Geeks"
    experienced, I can't deny that both shows simply didn't seem to catch on with
    audiences. However, the difference is that "Freaks & Geeks" was a consistently
    well-produced show in every possible way, whereas "Family Guy" was the exact
    opposite. It's amazing that two ends of the quality spectrum can ultimately
    get experience similar "success" stories. Anyways, "Family Guy" is
    unfortunately getting it's own DVD releases and it's probably about time I
    remove the petition link from my sig because Blue Underground is doing the
    complete "Freaks & Geeks" DVD in March.
    --------------------------------

    CLOSEDOWN8, Sep 6, 2003
  10. Arthur Bang

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <>,
    CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:
    >>Hmmm, someone at FOX must be kicking themselves for canceling this
    >>disgusting, tasteless and incredibly HILARIOUS tv show!

    >Why would they be kicking themselves for canceling an unfunny and unsuccessful
    >show?

    Because it is very funny (to many of us) and is successful on the Cartoon
    Network and on DVD.
    Matt Ackeret, Sep 6, 2003
  11. Arthur Bang

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <>,
    CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:
    >However, the difference is that "Freaks & Geeks" was a consistently
    >well-produced show in every possible way, whereas "Family Guy" was the exact
    >opposite.

    In your opinion. (In fact, I'm a fan of both shows.)

    I didn't *really* like Family Guy at first, because I thought the plots were
    stupid. But I kept watching. Then I realized just ignore the plot and laugh
    at the *tons* of hilarious jokes. I guess you're not a fan of the pop
    culture jokes they put in the show (and they even slammed Dennis Miller,
    who I'm also a fan of, and is another pop culture reference guy).
    Matt Ackeret, Sep 6, 2003
  12. Arthur Bang

    Jay G Guest

    "Matt Ackeret" <> wrote in ...
    > CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:
    > >>Hmmm, someone at FOX must be kicking themselves for canceling this
    > >>disgusting, tasteless and incredibly HILARIOUS tv show!

    > >Why would they be kicking themselves for canceling an unfunny and

    unsuccessful
    > >show?

    > Because it is very funny (to many of us) and is successful on the Cartoon
    > Network and on DVD.

    Actually, they wouldn't be kicking themselves for canceling a funny
    show, they could care less about the quality of a show. However,
    if the show is *successful*, then they care about it. Matt Groening
    has said that the execs at FOX don't 'get' the Simpsons, they just
    know it's made them tons of money.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Sep 6, 2003
  13. Arthur Bang

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <bjbf20$l5k$> in alt.video.dvd, Matt
    Ackeret <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    >CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:
    >>However, the difference is that "Freaks & Geeks" was a consistently
    >>well-produced show in every possible way, whereas "Family Guy" was the exact
    >>opposite.

    >In your opinion. (In fact, I'm a fan of both shows.)
    >
    >I didn't *really* like Family Guy at first, because I thought the plots were
    >stupid. But I kept watching. Then I realized just ignore the plot and laugh
    >at the *tons* of hilarious jokes. I guess you're not a fan of the pop
    >culture jokes they put in the show (and they even slammed Dennis Miller,
    >who I'm also a fan of, and is another pop culture reference guy).

    I think part of it, too, is that even a good show is worsened by
    being chopped into bits by so many commercials. Even when I record
    shows and fast-forward through the commercials, still it's
    disruptive.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Sep 6, 2003
  14. "Jay G" <> wrote in message

    > has said that the execs at FOX don't 'get' the Simpsons, they just
    > know it's made them tons of money.

    Maybe the execs should observe their own families for a while, like Jane
    Goodall, then they might get it.

    Steve
    Steve Knoblock, Sep 7, 2003
  15. Arthur Bang

    nXt Guest

    Holy crap? YOUR Wal-Mart carries Family Guy?? That's incredible. My 24
    hour walmart here doesn't carry it, and we know walmart doesn't carry
    certain things that they don't like.

    Anyways, Futurama season 1, my walmart accidentally released it early
    and i was able to get it. and my best buy, they released E.R. season 1
    a week early too heh.

    nXt, Sep 8, 2003
  16. In news:,
    nXt <> said in a panic:
    > Holy crap? YOUR Wal-Mart carries Family Guy?? That's incredible. My 24
    > hour walmart here doesn't carry it, and we know walmart doesn't carry
    > certain things that they don't like.

    Or they could of sold em all before you got there.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little
    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 12, 2003
  17. Arthur Bang

    nXt Guest

    Nah, I have friends there and they never got any.

    nXt, Sep 12, 2003
  18. Arthur Bang

    G M Guest

    "Brian "Demolition Man" Little" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > nXt <> said in a panic:
    > > Holy crap? YOUR Wal-Mart carries Family Guy?? That's incredible. My 24
    > > hour walmart here doesn't carry it, and we know walmart doesn't carry
    > > certain things that they don't like.

    > Or they could of sold em all before you got there.
    >
    > --
    > Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Well the Canadian Wal Marts carry them. I bought mine there.
    G M, Sep 13, 2003
  19. Arthur Bang

    Angry Gamer Guest

    On 04 Sep 2003 22:32:53 GMT, (Arthur Bang) wrote:

    >I went today to Costco, and there was Family Guy Season 3 a week early.. So I
    >go up to the counter to buy one, and they refuse to sell it to me..
    >
    >I know they could get in trouble for selling it, but i worked retail for 7
    >years and usually if it's out there it's their mistake and should still let the
    >customer buy one. Apparently when the girl at the register scanned it, it came
    >up with a message saying "Do not sell until 9/9" ..
    >

    >Arthur Bang
    >"Open your ears, and open your mind"
    >24 hours a day at http://www.thepickle.net/

    $2000 fine per copy - no retailer in their right mind is going to sell
    it just because some stockboy didn't read the big orange sticker on
    the box. just ask CVS Pharmacy that had to pay out over $2m in fines
    for releasing Potter a week early.
    Angry Gamer, Oct 7, 2003
  20. "Angry Gamer" <> wrote in message
    > On 04 Sep 2003 22:32:53 GMT, (Arthur Bang) wrote:
    >

    > >I went today to Costco, and there was Family Guy Season 3 a week early..

    So I
    > >go up to the counter to buy one, and they refuse to sell it to me..
    > >
    > >I know they could get in trouble for selling it, but i worked retail for

    7
    > >years and usually if it's out there it's their mistake and should still

    let the
    > >customer buy one. Apparently when the girl at the register scanned it,

    it came
    > >up with a message saying "Do not sell until 9/9" ..
    > >

    > >Arthur Bang
    > >"Open your ears, and open your mind"
    > >24 hours a day at http://www.thepickle.net/

    > $2000 fine per copy - no retailer in their right mind is going to sell
    > it just because some stockboy didn't read the big orange sticker on
    > the box. just ask CVS Pharmacy that had to pay out over $2m in fines
    > for releasing Potter a week early.

    Street dates are self regulating. No one can be 'fined'-at least in the U.S.
    What the studios/lables can do to enforce street date(and it is very rarely
    enforced) is pull all product, or refuse to release new product from/to the
    'offending' retailer.
    ominousspiritous, Oct 7, 2003