False USB Connection Numbers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2tpZGRhdw==?=, Sep 6, 2006.

  1. When I reinstall the driver for my wireless USB adapter (Netgear WG111v2) the
    number of the connection changes. My original connection (which I take to be
    #1) worked fine, but after reinstalling it connections 2, 3, and 4 did not.
    Now (after 4) when I install the driver the Network Connections folder simply
    empties out, including non-wireless connections. These reappear when I
    uninstall the driver.
    Is there a way to clean out these false connections and return to the USB
    adapter, which seems to be receiving signals quite normally.
    =?Utf-8?B?U2tpZGRhdw==?=, Sep 6, 2006

  2. Hi

    There is a very tedious and risky way to remove the extra empty entries,
    ((involve back and forth deleting of Registry Entries and hidden entries in
    the Device Manager).

    So it does not worthwhile to do so, since it just a matter of cosmetic and
    does not affect functionality.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 6, 2006

  3. Thanks, Jack--I was mistaken in thinking the number functional. I'll search
    for
    another solultion to my connection problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2tpZGRhdw==?=, Sep 6, 2006