false error message in OE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hersh, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. Hersh

    Hersh Guest

    I have developed a new problem with my Outlook Express 6. (I'm running XP
    SP2).
    When I send emails with attachments over about 40 or 50Kb, I get an error
    box but the error message field is blank; the message says
    "Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please review
    the list of errors below for more details."
    Nothing appears in the list below. The email message appears to stay in my
    outbox; it asks me to send it when I close and open the program; each time I
    say "yes" it loops back to the same error box; it is, in fact sending the
    message, but multiple times.
    I have uninstalled my virus protection (provided by my server, Shaw.ca). The
    problem persisted. I have now reinstalled the virus protection with email
    scanning in and out. I created a new OE identity and imported all my old
    files and addresses. I thought that fixed the problem but it didn't. There
    are several user profiles on this computer, and the problem does not seem to
    exist on the other profiles in OE.
    Can you help me with a solution to this problem?
    With thanks,
    Hersh Kline
    p.s. I can send an attachment of screen shot with error message, but I'm
    guessing that's not a great idea to do on the message board.
    Hersh, Aug 17, 2005

  2. Hersh

    8 Lives Left Guest

    You might try this...

    Close all windows.
    Open Outlook Express
    File > Work Offline
    Click on the Local Folders folder
    File > Folder > Compact All Folders
    Walk away from the computer until the process is complete.

    **Avoid starting this process if the possibility of a power outage is
    imminent such as a thunderstorm in progress.**

    Should the compaction process ever be interrupted, restart it before
    accessing any folders and allow it to finish.

    Send yourself a Test message to see if there are still problems.

    If the messages are still stuck in the Outbox:

    Enable Show Hidden Files and folders
    Open My Computer,
    Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
    under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is
    selected.
    Remove the check mark for Hide Extensions for known file types.

    Move any messages you want to save, out of the Outbox folders, check
    both Identities.
    Close Outlook Express.

    Search:
    Start > Search > For Files or Folders > All files and folders,
    In the field for: all or part of the file name
    Key in:
    ..dbx
    Below that, click on More advanced options
    in the field: Type of File, select (All Files and Folders)
    place a checkmark in:
    Search system folders
    Search hidden files and folders
    Search subfolders
    click Search

    Locate the: Outbox.dbx files and rename them Outbox.old
    There should be two since you have two Identities.

    Restart Outlook Express with the Problem Identity.
    Send yourself a Test message, the first message without an attachment.
    If that is successful, send yourself a Test message with an attachment.

    Let us know if that works or not.
    8 Lives Left, Aug 17, 2005

  3. Hersh

    8 Lives Left Guest

    Hersh wrote:
    > I have developed a new problem with my Outlook Express 6. (I'm running XP
    > SP2).
    > When I send emails with attachments over about 40 or 50Kb, I get an error
    > box but the error message field is blank; the message says
    > "Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please review
    > the list of errors below for more details."
    > Nothing appears in the list below. The email message appears to stay in my
    > outbox; it asks me to send it when I close and open the program; each time I
    > say "yes" it loops back to the same error box; it is, in fact sending the
    > message, but multiple times.
    > I have uninstalled my virus protection (provided by my server, Shaw.ca). The
    > problem persisted. I have now reinstalled the virus protection with email
    > scanning in and out. I created a new OE identity and imported all my old
    > files and addresses. I thought that fixed the problem but it didn't. There
    > are several user profiles on this computer, and the problem does not seem to
    > exist on the other profiles in OE.
    > Can you help me with a solution to this problem?
    > With thanks,
    > Hersh Kline
    > p.s. I can send an attachment of screen shot with error message, but I'm
    > guessing that's not a great idea to do on the message board.

    Perhaps this will help...
    http://forums.techguy.org/archive/t-387355.html
    8 Lives Left, Aug 17, 2005
  4. Hersh

    WormWood Guest

    "Hersh" <> wrote in message
    >I have developed a new problem with my Outlook Express 6. (I'm running
    >XP SP2).
    > When I send emails with attachments over about 40 or 50Kb, I get an
    > error box but the error message field is blank; the message says
    > "Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please
    > review the list of errors below for more details."
    > Nothing appears in the list below. The email message appears to stay
    > in my outbox; it asks me to send it when I close and open the program;
    > each time I say "yes" it loops back to the same error box; it is, in
    > fact sending the message, but multiple times.
    > I have uninstalled my virus protection (provided by my server,
    > Shaw.ca). The problem persisted. I have now reinstalled the virus
    > protection with email scanning in and out. I created a new OE
    > identity and imported all my old files and addresses. I thought that
    > fixed the problem but it didn't. There are several user profiles on
    > this computer, and the problem does not seem to exist on the other
    > profiles in OE.
    > Can you help me with a solution to this problem?
    > With thanks,
    > Hersh Kline
    > p.s. I can send an attachment of screen shot with error message, but
    > I'm guessing that's not a great idea to do on the message board.

    That's right, no attachments nor HTML are welcome in usenet newsgroups
    without the word 'binary' in it's title. When you can write down and
    post the exact error message you will be helped. An important part of
    the message will be something similar to this: 0E88800097
    WormWood, Aug 17, 2005
  5. "WormWood" wrote in message

    Lenny Parkinston, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Hersh

    trout Guest

    Lenny Parkinston wrote:

    > "WormWood" wrote in message
    >
    > eapoe@midnightdreary
    > eapoe@midnightdreary
    > eapoe@midnightdreary

    Not a big literary fan, are you, troll?
    --
    Quoth the raven, "Dumbass".
    trout, Aug 17, 2005
  7. Hersh

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:11:07 GMT, "Hersh" <> wrote:

    >I have developed a new problem with my Outlook Express 6. (I'm running XP
    >SP2).

    Outlook is a problem. Get rid of it.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Hersh

    Pedritto2001

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Cause and Solution

    Two years later, I just had exactly same problem with my father's computer. As a SW tests expert, I solved it and will share the simplest cause/solution:

    Cause (typical): Your SENT-ITEMS database file has reached it's maximum size (in my case 2GB). So every mail of more than a few kilobytes will still be sent, but it wont be copied to the SENT-ITEMS file. Therefore, it stays in your BEING-SENT file, and Microsoft cretin Software coders detect this as an unknown-empty error and log it.

    Result: You get angry users on the other side of the line complainting about receiving the same (large) mail over and over again, while your small mails are sent with no problem.

    Solution: Find your OE archive directory (ex: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Definições locais\Application Data\Identities\{09187D9C-187D-4ACC-979D-A6494A832404}\Microsoft\Outlook Express), confirm that the file is nearly 2Gigabytes in size (ex: (2.147.446.256) and DELETE the SentItems.dbx file, or whatever the name in your language is - in my language, it's Itens enviados.dbx). Finally, blame Microsoft for not having decent Software Testers/Coders.

    Solution (Alternative, slower): In OE, delete all messages from the SentItems folder and then compact this (and only this) folder.

    Curiosity: The reason why you can send mails with small attachments or no attachments is obviously because the file is "nearly" 2GB, meaning 1.995 or near. You can still fill in small attachments like 1M, then like 100K, then like 10K, etc... But if you keep going, finally you wont be able to send a single mail.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
    Pedritto2001, Jul 12, 2007