    Doug

    P.S. Whenever I buy anything it seems I always see it cheaper the next day
    :)

    Doug Robbins, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Doug Robbins

    Mick Fanner Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:52:55 -0500, Doug Robbins wrote:

    > I wandered into the local Staples today to discover 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF
    > cards on sale for $39.98 (normally $110). While I havent priced any memory
    > in a while this was surprising to me. These cards work pretty well in my
    > D70s and E-500 DSLRs. I thought this sounded like a good buy and picked up 4
    > cards. Have you guys found any better deals?
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > P.S. Whenever I buy anything it seems I always see it cheaper the next day
    > :)

    Well that last now applies to me. Just before Christmas I found Sandisk
    512meg CF on Amazon UK for £9.99. This was through one of their
    alternative suppliers and compared well with the actual Amazon price of
    over £30, so I ordered 4. The postage bumped the price up but I still
    felt I was ahead. Until now.

    Amazon UK (themselves) are offering 1 gig Sandisk CF for £15. If I
    ordered 4 of those I'd get the postage thrown in. Bummer. ;-)

    --
    Mick. <Magister mundi sum!>

    <By the pricking of my thumb/Something wicked this way comes>

    Mick Fanner, Jan 9, 2007

  3. (Mick Fanner) wrote:

    > Amazon UK (themselves) are offering 1 gig Sandisk CF for £15

    I bought a 2Gb x133 CF card from mymemory last November for £17.99. Not
    a named brand, but it's given me no problems. P&P is about £2.50 per
    order from them though, which pushes up the price a little.

    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Compact-Flash-Cards

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 9, 2007
  4. Doug Robbins

    Mick Fanner Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:29:00 +0000, Andrew MacPherson wrote:

    > (Mick Fanner) wrote:
    >
    >> Amazon UK (themselves) are offering 1 gig Sandisk CF for £15

    > I bought a 2Gb x133 CF card from mymemory last November for £17.99. Not
    > a named brand, but it's given me no problems. P&P is about £2.50 per
    > order from them though, which pushes up the price a little.
    >
    > http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Compact-Flash-Cards

    I see that their Sandisk prices compare with Amazon's, so prices do seem
    to have fallen across the board, as Doug suggested.

    My reliability record with CF cards to date reads one Lexar failed, no
    Sandisk failures. Guess what I'm sticking to. ;-)

    --
    Mick.

    Mick Fanner, Jan 9, 2007
  5. Doug Robbins

    just bob Guest

    I paid the same at Fry's before xmas.

    just bob, Jan 9, 2007
  6. Doug Robbins

    just bob Guest

    "Andrew MacPherson" <> wrote in message
    > (Mick Fanner) wrote:
    >
    >> Amazon UK (themselves) are offering 1 gig Sandisk CF for £15

    > I bought a 2Gb x133 CF card from mymemory last November for £17.99. Not
    > a named brand, but it's given me no problems. P&P is about £2.50 per
    > order from them though, which pushes up the price a little.
    >
    > http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Compact-Flash-Cards

    I know you can't really compare prices in the UK vs. the USA but...

    8GB Extreme IV CompactFlash

    BHPhoto.com: $449.95

    MyMemory.co.uk: £319.99 ($620.75)

    just bob, Jan 9, 2007
  7. Doug Robbins

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:52:55 -0500, Doug Robbins wrote:

    > I wandered into the local Staples today to discover 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF
    > cards on sale for $39.98 (normally $110). While I havent priced any memory
    > in a while this was surprising to me. These cards work pretty well in my
    > D70s and E-500 DSLRs. I thought this sounded like a good buy and picked up 4
    > cards. Have you guys found any better deals?
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > P.S. Whenever I buy anything it seems I always see it cheaper the next day
    > :)

    I got a 2gb SD and a 2gb flash drive for $25 each from OfficeMax during
    their post thanksgiving sale - they routinely run about $35 now.

    ray, Jan 10, 2007
  8. Doug Robbins

    sgtdisturbed Guest

    Doug Robbins wrote:
    > I wandered into the local Staples today to discover 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF
    > cards on sale for $39.98 (normally $110). While I havent priced any memory
    > in a while this was surprising to me. These cards work pretty well in my
    > D70s and E-500 DSLRs. I thought this sounded like a good buy and picked up 4
    > cards. Have you guys found any better deals?

    If you look around online you'll find some killer deals. I just bought
    and received a 2 gigabyte Transcend 150x SD card for 36 bucks (not sure
    if it's truly 150x, but it sure is faster than my replaced Panasonic
    vanilla 256 meg SD card).

    The thing is we are nearing a major milestone in technology, with
    DirectX10, Windows Vista, DirectX 10 video cards for PCs, and 45nm
    processors. All "older" pieces of technology right now are dropping in
    price, and I wouldn't be surprised if the prices for SD or other flash
    memory drops even further, and I wouldn't doubt that the prices for new
    DSLR cameras released a couple years ago (Nikon D50, Canon Rebel XT,
    etc) might drop 100 bucks before 2007 is 3/4 of the way through. '07 is
    going to be hot for new technology, so keep your eyes pealed for new
    innovations and price drops on the "older" stuff.

    sgtdisturbed, Jan 10, 2007
  9. Doug Robbins

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Doug Robbins" <> writes:
    > I wandered into the local Staples today to discover 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF
    > cards on sale for $39.98 (normally $110). While I havent priced any memory
    > in a while this was surprising to me.

    $20 per GB is nothing special. See newegg.com for the latest and greatest.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 10, 2007
  10. kilbyfan@aoldotcom (just bob) wrote:

    > BHPhoto.com: $449.95
    >
    > MyMemory.co.uk: £319.99 ($620.75)

    That's the normal kind of price difference across the ocean. Add our
    17.5% sales tax and things look a bit better; it pushes the BH price to
    about $520. FWIW Mymemory are one of many Channel Islands company and a
    tax loophole means they don't have to charge that 17.5% on orders below
    18ukp. Hence so many prices at 17.99ukp.

    But that's beside the point... 8Gb is far more eggs than I'd ever want
    to put in one basket. Well, until we have 20Mp cameras anyway. :)

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 10, 2007
  11. Doug Robbins

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Doug Robbins wrote:
    > I wandered into the local Staples today to discover 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF
    > cards on sale for $39.98 (normally $110). While I havent priced any memory
    > in a while this was surprising to me. These cards work pretty well in my
    > D70s and E-500 DSLRs. I thought this sounded like a good buy and picked up 4
    > cards. Have you guys found any better deals?
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > P.S. Whenever I buy anything it seems I always see it cheaper the next day
    > :)

    I recall buying a 256 meg SD card for my camera about a year ago for
    $65USD. This Christmas, my wife bought a 1GB card for hers for $19.95.
    Yep, prices sure have dropped!

    Ron Hunter, Jan 10, 2007
  12. Doug Robbins

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Doug Robbins wrote:
    > I wandered into the local Staples today to discover 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF
    > cards on sale for $39.98 (normally $110). While I havent priced any memory
    > in a while this was surprising to me. These cards work pretty well in my
    > D70s and E-500 DSLRs. I thought this sounded like a good buy and picked up 4
    > cards. Have you guys found any better deals?

    Isn't it great? The price/capacity is still headed down, so I
    tend to buy one at a time, when the affordable size doubles.

    A couple years ago, someone suggested treating flash like film:
    never erase; just buy more. He didn't get much agreement at the
    time. I'm still not there, but his case is getting stronger.

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Jan 10, 2007
  13. Doug Robbins

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Bryan Olson <> writes:
    > A couple years ago, someone suggested treating flash like film:
    > never erase; just buy more. He didn't get much agreement at the
    > time. I'm still not there, but his case is getting stronger.

    I'm squeamish about this, not for cost reasons but because flash isn't
    a really permanent medium in terms of data retention. It depends on
    floating gate transistors holding electrical charges which apparently
    leak away over the years. I've heard of vintage computers stopping
    working because flash BIOS chips or FPGA's have gotten corrupted.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_gate_transistor

    Paul Rubin, Jan 10, 2007
  14. Doug Robbins

    Stankley Guest

    Bryan Olson wrote:

    > A couple years ago, someone suggested treating flash like film:
    > never erase; just buy more. He didn't get much agreement at the
    > time. I'm still not there, but his case is getting stronger.

    This makes little sense to me. If archiving is your goal, then surely
    DVD is a better medium? My understanding of flash memory is that it
    will not hold on to its bits for ever - there is potential loss over
    time, especially if exposed to strong electromagnetic fields. DVD
    supposedly has timeless archival capabilities (although given that
    there are no DVD+/1Rs more than a few years old, it's probably not
    proveable).

    In any instance, I would never lock away my achived data for years.
    Every year or two, I'd be inclined to make a new copy of anything
    valuable.

    Another flaw with using flash cards for archives is they'se so freaking
    small you're more likely to lose them than corrupt the data.....

    Stankley, Jan 10, 2007
  15. Doug Robbins

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bryan Olson wrote:
    > Doug Robbins wrote:
    >> I wandered into the local Staples today to discover 2GB Sandisk Ultra
    >> II CF cards on sale for $39.98 (normally $110). While I havent priced
    >> any memory in a while this was surprising to me. These cards work
    >> pretty well in my D70s and E-500 DSLRs. I thought this sounded like a
    >> good buy and picked up 4 cards. Have you guys found any better deals?

    > Isn't it great? The price/capacity is still headed down, so I
    > tend to buy one at a time, when the affordable size doubles.
    >
    > A couple years ago, someone suggested treating flash like film:
    > never erase; just buy more. He didn't get much agreement at the
    > time. I'm still not there, but his case is getting stronger.

    Well, with SD cards at 1GB running under $20.. It is already cheaper
    than film if your camera doesn't make .TIF or .RAW files. I can put
    about 1400 4mp pictures on a 1GB card. How many rolls of film would
    that be?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 10, 2007
  16. Doug Robbins

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Stankley wrote:
    > Bryan Olson wrote:
    >
    >> A couple years ago, someone suggested treating flash like film:
    >> never erase; just buy more. He didn't get much agreement at the
    >> time. I'm still not there, but his case is getting stronger.
    >>

    > This makes little sense to me. If archiving is your goal, then surely
    > DVD is a better medium? My understanding of flash memory is that it
    > will not hold on to its bits for ever - there is potential loss over
    > time, especially if exposed to strong electromagnetic fields. DVD
    > supposedly has timeless archival capabilities (although given that
    > there are no DVD+/1Rs more than a few years old, it's probably not
    > proveable).
    >
    > In any instance, I would never lock away my achived data for years.
    > Every year or two, I'd be inclined to make a new copy of anything
    > valuable.
    >
    > Another flaw with using flash cards for archives is they'se so freaking
    > small you're more likely to lose them than corrupt the data.....

    DVDs are subject to physical damage, and since they are chemically
    based, might also suffer from chemical changes. My own experiences with
    optical media isn't good. In any case, I am pretty sure that a flash
    card could be refreshed every few years, and should last a lot longer
    than I will....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 10, 2007
  17. Doug Robbins

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 04:38:52 -0800, Stankley wrote:

    > Bryan Olson wrote:
    >

    >> A couple years ago, someone suggested treating flash like film:
    >> never erase; just buy more. He didn't get much agreement at the
    >> time. I'm still not there, but his case is getting stronger.
    >>

    > This makes little sense to me. If archiving is your goal, then surely
    > DVD is a better medium? My understanding of flash memory is that it
    > will not hold on to its bits for ever - there is potential loss over
    > time, especially if exposed to strong electromagnetic fields. DVD
    > supposedly has timeless archival capabilities (although given that
    > there are no DVD+/1Rs more than a few years old, it's probably not
    > proveable).

    It would take a cursed strong magnetic field to wipe a CF--they do not
    store data magnetically--it would have to be strong enough to generate
    sufficient current in the very short traces inside the card to fry the
    componets. I doubt that even the EMP from a nuclear weapon is that strong
    (read the accounts of what actually happened in that test, not the
    popular-science scare stories).

    The real issue with them is that they use charge stored in a capacitor
    just like any other commercially available erasable/rewriteable PROM and
    the charge on that capacitor leaks off eventually.

    DVD+/-R uses a dye layer and stores the data chemically--they're as stable
    as the dye. DVD+/-RW uses the same phase change mechanism as DVD-RAM and
    should last a lot longer than +/-R, but the conventional wisdom is that
    the opposite is the case.

    The only media with any kind of real track record is DLT and that's fairly
    expensive even buying everything used off of ebay.

    > In any

    instance, I would never lock away my achived data for years.
    > Every year or two, I'd be inclined to make a new copy of anything
    > valuable.
    >
    > Another flaw with using flash cards for archives is they'se so freaking
    > small you're more likely to lose them than corrupt the data.....

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jan 10, 2007
  18. Doug Robbins

    > kilbyfan@aoldotcom (just bob) wrote:
    >
    >> BHPhoto.com: $449.95
    >>
    >> MyMemory.co.uk: £319.99 ($620.75)

    > That's the normal kind of price difference across the ocean. Add our
    > 17.5% sales tax and things look a bit better; it pushes the BH price to
    > about $520. FWIW Mymemory are one of many Channel Islands company and a
    > tax loophole means they don't have to charge that 17.5% on orders below
    > 18ukp. Hence so many prices at 17.99ukp.
    >
    > But that's beside the point... 8Gb is far more eggs than I'd ever want
    > to put in one basket. Well, until we have 20Mp cameras anyway. :)

    Yeah, I felt the same way until I used the 16.7MP Canon 1Ds Mk2, shooting
    raw!

    just bob, Jan 11, 2007
  19. kilbyfan@aoldotcom (just bob) wrote:

    > 16.7MP Canon 1Ds Mk2, shooting raw!

    Ouch. That's gotta hurt! 8Gb suddenly feels a lot smaller. :)

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 12, 2007