    Can anyone tell me if the R1 NTSC is similarly encumbered, and how's the
    quality?

    Cheers!

    Peter Briggs, Sep 23, 2003

  2. The UK and region one versions are pan and scan and awful. However,
    there is decent anamorphically enhanced widescreen version available in
    France and I have a Japanese enchanced widescreen one on the way to me.
    The French one shows up on eBay all the time and it's got a reasonable
    Buy It Now. I got the Japanese one from CD Japan.

    Brockhurst Pertwee, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Brockhurst Pertwee <> wrote:

    > The UK and region one versions are pan and scan and awful. However,
    > there is decent anamorphically enhanced widescreen version available in
    > France and I have a Japanese enchanced widescreen one on the way to me.
    > The French one shows up on eBay all the time and it's got a reasonable
    > Buy It Now. I got the Japanese one from CD Japan.

    Hmm. So, is the Japanese one anamorphic, also?

    And, do you have any links for these?

    (Thanks for the advice, by the way!)

    Peter Briggs, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Yes, I said the Japanese was enhanced, like the French DVD. It arrived
    today, so I've had a chance to compare. The image is quite a bit
    sharper on the Jap import, the sound is MUCH better on the Jap import,
    but the color is lackluster on the Jap import and is more saturated on
    the French DVD, although it's not perfect either. My vote goes to the
    Jap import. Same story on El Cid and 55 Days (quite a bit of difference
    color-wise on that one - the Jap import is really brownish, but again
    sharper, although the sound is really screwed up - the French wins on
    Peking).

    I got the Jap imports from www.cdjapan.co.jp

    The French imports are readily available on eBay - do a seller search on
    olivierf.

    Brockhurst Pertwee, Sep 24, 2003