    Any suggestions (both about the area and any photography tips) would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks!

    BRH, Nov 1, 2006

  2. I was up at Lake Logan near Canton this past weekend. The colors were still
    pretty good down in the valleys, but a lot of the trees were losing their
    leaves pretty fast because of the strong winds. Up on the ridge tops the
    trees were bare, especially around the Slick Rock Wilderness area. On the
    south sides of the slopes in the Davidson River/Devil's Courthouse area
    where the sun keeps things warmer, the colors were still pretty good.

    If I were you, I would rule out Grandfather or Mt Mitchell, they peaked a
    couple weeks ago. Lake Lure might still be good, but I haven't been over
    there in several weeks. South Mtn State Park south of Moganton should still
    be pretty good, I believe they are having guided highs this past weekend and
    next weekend too.

    KB
    Hickory,NC

    KENNETH BURNS, Nov 1, 2006

  3. That's supposed to be "guided HIKES", not "highs". If you want to get high,
    you'll have to do that on your own.

    KB
    Hickory, NC

    KENNETH BURNS, Nov 1, 2006
  4. BRH

    RHinNC Guest

    I would call someone before I went up there. I live in central NC and the
    leaves are peaking right now here.

    I suspect there is not much left around Asheville.....

    RHinNC, Nov 1, 2006
  5. KENNETH BURNS wrote:
    > That's supposed to be "guided HIKES", not "highs". If you want to get high,
    > you'll have to do that on your own.

    I thought perhaps they were able to move weather fronts around a bit....
    So nice to have a distinguished film director among us.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 1, 2006
  6. BRH

    BRH Guest

    RHinNC wrote:
    > I would call someone before I went up there. I live in central NC and the
    > leaves are peaking right now here.
    >
    > I suspect there is not much left around Asheville.....
    >

    > <BRH> wrote in message news:D...
    >
    >>I'm a beginner digital photographer who is considering making a weekend
    >>trip to the Asheville, NC area this weekend to try my hand at some
    >>nature/landscape photography (ie - fall foliage, etc).
    >>
    >>I'm only able to spend two full days there, so was wondering whether
    >>anyone has any tips about the best specific areas to shoot at/from. (ie -
    >>the best views, such as Grandfather Mountain; Mt Mitchell; Great Smoky
    >>Mountains NP; Chimney Rock; Lake Lure, etc.)
    >>
    >>This is my first trip to the area, and I'm most interested in landscape
    >>shots of foliage, mountains, etc.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions (both about the area and any photography tips) would be
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    Well, that's disappointing. www.foliagenetwork.com reports Peak Color.
    but with moderate to high leaf drop in Western NC as of today. I'm not
    sure how accurate their reports are, but I appreciate yours and
    Kenneth's more first-hand responses to my question.

    Thanks/.

    BRH, Nov 2, 2006
  7. BRH

    Ron Hunter Guest

    BRH wrote:
    > RHinNC wrote:
    >> I would call someone before I went up there. I live in central NC and
    >> the leaves are peaking right now here.
    >>
    >> I suspect there is not much left around Asheville.....
    >>

    >> <BRH> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I'm a beginner digital photographer who is considering making a
    >>> weekend trip to the Asheville, NC area this weekend to try my hand
    >>> at some nature/landscape photography (ie - fall foliage, etc).
    >>>
    >>> I'm only able to spend two full days there, so was wondering whether
    >>> anyone has any tips about the best specific areas to shoot at/from.
    >>> (ie - the best views, such as Grandfather Mountain; Mt Mitchell;
    >>> Great Smoky Mountains NP; Chimney Rock; Lake Lure, etc.)
    >>>
    >>> This is my first trip to the area, and I'm most interested in
    >>> landscape shots of foliage, mountains, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions (both about the area and any photography tips) would
    >>> be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    > Well, that's disappointing. www.foliagenetwork.com reports Peak
    > Color. but with moderate to high leaf drop in Western NC as of
    > today. I'm not sure how accurate their reports are, but I appreciate
    > yours and Kenneth's more first-hand responses to my question.
    >
    > Thanks/.

    In any case, try the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some great views along that route.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 2, 2006