Fake TY Discs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by GeorgeF, Jun 10, 2006.

  1. GeorgeF

    GeorgeF Guest

    There's a store in Toronto called PC4CANADA (www.pc4canada.com) that
    had a special on TY DVD-R discs (100 for $25). After hearing all the
    glowing reviews, I figured I'd buy a stack while it was on special and
    try it out. The burn quality is acceptable, but not as good as I'd
    have expected based on how much people seem to worship at the TY alter
    here. About what I got with RiData G05. I got better results from the
    SmartBuy discs that I usually buy.

    I think I got scammed as I've checked some websites on confirming their
    authenticity and the stack I got had no cover sheet, and the hubs were
    transparent, not semi-opaque., with no markings except a bar code. The
    only markings that indicate that it's TY media are on a photocopied
    label that the store taped to the stack. Packaging was shrink wrapped
    with plastic end caps and a plastic rod through the middle.

    Did I get scammed or am I just being paranoid? The store swears it's
    real, and they don't do refunds on media, so I'm stuck with it.

    -George

    GeorgeF, Jun 10, 2006

  2. GeorgeF

    Tonester Guest

    "GeorgeF" <> wrote in message
    > There's a store in Toronto called PC4CANADA (www.pc4canada.com) that
    > had a special on TY DVD-R discs (100 for $25). After hearing all the
    > glowing reviews, I figured I'd buy a stack while it was on special and
    > try it out. The burn quality is acceptable, but not as good as I'd
    > have expected based on how much people seem to worship at the TY alter
    > here. About what I got with RiData G05.

    TY is really no better than Ritek..both are great. What did you expect?

    Tonester, Jun 10, 2006

  3. GeorgeF

    GeorgeF Guest

    Tonester wrote:

    > TY is really no better than Ritek..both are great. What did you expect?

    The scans put up on www.cdfreaks.com show many people are getting
    single digit error rates. I got low teen error rates with the SmartBuy
    media (ProDisc) and can overspeed to 12x. With RiData discs (G05), I
    get error rates in the mid 70s and I can't go any faster than the rated
    8x.

    At 8x, with the media I bought (which I do think is fake), I get error
    rates in the low 70s to mid 90s. At 12x, the discs become
    semi-readable, with errors in the low 300s.

    Media ID is TYG02. I expect far better results than what I got,
    especially since the PC4Canada is selling it as the genuine article.

    -GeorgeF

    GeorgeF, Jun 10, 2006
  4. GeorgeF

    Axel VK Guest

    "Tonester" <> wrote in message

    > "GeorgeF" <> wrote in message
    >> There's a store in Toronto called PC4CANADA (www.pc4canada.com) that
    >> had a special on TY DVD-R discs (100 for $25). After hearing all the
    >> glowing reviews, I figured I'd buy a stack while it was on special and
    >> try it out. The burn quality is acceptable, but not as good as I'd
    >> have expected based on how much people seem to worship at the TY alter
    >> here. About what I got with RiData G05.

    > TY is really no better than Ritek..both are great. What did you expect?

    I never use anything but Ritek. Never had a problem either.

    Axel VK, Jun 10, 2006
  5. GeorgeF

    Lance Guest

    I have some TYG02's that consistently burn with error rates down in the
    single digits. On the printable side, on the innermost silver part of
    the disk there's a mirror image of "GG000106". Opposite that is another
    mirror image of "0116". These are 8x silver thermal printables that come
    in a 50-pack cakebox.

    TY packaging is very plain. You can see authentic TY packaging here:
    http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-how-to-tell-fake-or-real.html

    I used Verbatim when I first started burning DVDs and I was genuinely
    blown away when I first tested a TY DVD burn. I'm sorry your having
    problems.

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Jun 10, 2006
  6. GeorgeF

    Bill Guest

    > I think I got scammed as I've checked some websites on confirming their
    > authenticity and the stack I got had no cover sheet, and the hubs were
    > transparent, not semi-opaque., with no markings except a bar code. The
    > only markings that indicate that it's TY media are on a photocopied
    > label that the store taped to the stack. Packaging was shrink wrapped
    > with plastic end caps and a plastic rod through the middle.

    I purchase a spindle of what were supposed to be Taiyo-Yuden DVD-Rs
    discs from the Fellowes website back in December. They also didn't have
    the frosted hubs that I've come to expect from Taiyo-Yuden CD-Rs.
    Quality scores on the discs that I checked with Nero were okay, but
    nowhere near the stellar results of Taiyo-Yuden CD-Rs. P1 errors in
    particular were extremely high--over five billion per disc roughly,
    though each burned disc would still earn a quality score of 93 to 94.

    In comparison, a recent spindle of Maxell DVD-Rs, showing a manufacture
    ID of ProDisc, read back with fewer than 500,000 P1 errors per disc.

    Bill, Jun 10, 2006
  7. GeorgeF

    JimK Guest

    On 9 Jun 2006 17:37:24 -0700, "GeorgeF" <> wrote:

    >There's a store in Toronto called PC4CANADA (www.pc4canada.com) that
    >had a special on TY DVD-R discs (100 for $25). After hearing all the
    >glowing reviews, I figured I'd buy a stack while it was on special and
    >try it out. The burn quality is acceptable, but not as good as I'd
    >have expected based on how much people seem to worship at the TY alter
    >here. About what I got with RiData G05. I got better results from the
    >SmartBuy discs that I usually buy.
    >
    >I think I got scammed as I've checked some websites on confirming their
    >authenticity and the stack I got had no cover sheet, and the hubs were
    >transparent, not semi-opaque., with no markings except a bar code. The
    >only markings that indicate that it's TY media are on a photocopied
    >label that the store taped to the stack. Packaging was shrink wrapped
    >with plastic end caps and a plastic rod through the middle.
    >
    >Did I get scammed or am I just being paranoid? The store swears it's
    >real, and they don't do refunds on media, so I'm stuck with it.
    >
    >-George

    The ty value pack is grade b 4x media and i bet you burnt at 8x

    JimK, Jun 10, 2006
  8. GeorgeF

    JimK Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:21:54 -0400, Bill <> wrote:

    >> I think I got scammed as I've checked some websites on confirming their
    >> authenticity and the stack I got had no cover sheet, and the hubs were
    >> transparent, not semi-opaque., with no markings except a bar code. The
    >> only markings that indicate that it's TY media are on a photocopied
    >> label that the store taped to the stack. Packaging was shrink wrapped
    >> with plastic end caps and a plastic rod through the middle.

    >I purchase a spindle of what were supposed to be Taiyo-Yuden DVD-Rs
    >discs from the Fellowes website back in December. They also didn't have
    >the frosted hubs that I've come to expect from Taiyo-Yuden CD-Rs.
    >Quality scores on the discs that I checked with Nero were okay, but
    >nowhere near the stellar results of Taiyo-Yuden CD-Rs. P1 errors in
    >particular were extremely high--over five billion per disc roughly,
    >though each burned disc would still earn a quality score of 93 to 94.
    >
    >In comparison, a recent spindle of Maxell DVD-Rs, showing a manufacture
    >ID of ProDisc, read back with fewer than 500,000 P1 errors per disc.

    I'm use to seeing 15,000 PIE to 18,000 PIE 300 PIF to 500 PIF with ty
    value pack 4x media

    JimK, Jun 10, 2006
  9. GeorgeF

    Bill Guest

    > I'm use to seeing 15,000 PIE to 18,000 PIE 300 PIF to 500 PIF with ty
    > value pack 4x media

    I've also seen graphs of TY DVD media with similar excellent results at
    CDfreaks.com...enough to make me wonder if the spindle that I bought
    from Fellowes was either from a bad batch, or possibly not genuine TY
    media. I'm hesitant to buy from them again because of the results.

    Bill, Jun 10, 2006
  10. GeorgeF

    GeorgeF Guest

    JimK wrote:
    > On 9 Jun 2006 17:37:24 -0700, "GeorgeF" <> wrote:
    >
    > >There's a store in Toronto called PC4CANADA (www.pc4canada.com) that
    > >had a special on TY DVD-R discs (100 for $25). After hearing all the
    > >glowing reviews, I figured I'd buy a stack while it was on special and
    > >try it out. The burn quality is acceptable, but not as good as I'd
    > >have expected based on how much people seem to worship at the TY alter
    > >here. About what I got with RiData G05. I got better results from the
    > >SmartBuy discs that I usually buy.
    > >
    > >I think I got scammed as I've checked some websites on confirming their
    > >authenticity and the stack I got had no cover sheet, and the hubs were
    > >transparent, not semi-opaque., with no markings except a bar code. The
    > >only markings that indicate that it's TY media are on a photocopied
    > >label that the store taped to the stack. Packaging was shrink wrapped
    > >with plastic end caps and a plastic rod through the middle.
    > >
    > >Did I get scammed or am I just being paranoid? The store swears it's
    > >real, and they don't do refunds on media, so I'm stuck with it.
    > >
    > >-George

    > The ty value pack is grade b 4x media and i bet you burnt at 8x

    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did -- though it's not much of a wager,
    given as I admitted as much several hours earlier. However, if those
    discs were what they were advertising, burning them at 8x shouldn't
    have been a problem.

    "TAIYO YUDEN DVD-R 4.7GB 8X A Grade Taiyo Yuden Code SHINY 100 PACK
    CLEAR OPP "

    If you follow the URL to their online site, that's what's being
    advertised -- at least in their online catalog. Their main page lists
    it as "Tiayo Yuden". I've no idea what the OPP refers to.

    I also checked out Lance's (Thanks) link to the page on authenticity of
    TY media. I'm now almost certain that the discs are fake. I had read
    similar descriptions, but now I know what the real thing would look
    like and I'll know what to look for in the future.

    It appears that either they sold me a lower grade disc than
    advertised, but otherwise genuine TY media, or they're selling totally
    fake TY discs (admittedly pretty good fakes if they can match Ritek in
    performance). Either way, what's being sold isn't what's advertised.
    If you find yourself in Toronto, you might want to avoid this store.

    -George

    GeorgeF, Jun 10, 2006
  11. "Axel VK" <> wrote in message

    > I never use anything but Ritek. Never had a problem either.

    The only Ritek DVD+R DL I ever burned just faded away after a few weeks!

    --

    Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

    To email me remove the letter vee.

    Brian Gregory [UK], Jun 10, 2006

  12. > The only Ritek DVD+R DL I ever burned just faded away after a few weeks!

    I've made several Ritek -r DL burns, would never touch plus
    media, and they play perfectly and several months later
    are still perfect.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jun 10, 2006
  14. GeorgeF

    Tonester Guest

    "Brian Gregory [UK]" <> wrote in message
    > "Axel VK" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I never use anything but Ritek. Never had a problem either.

    > The only Ritek DVD+R DL I ever burned just faded away after a few weeks!

    Must have a burner going bad. I use Ritek +R DL's exclusively. I've used
    them since the day they came out (over a year ago) and have never had any
    problems with them.

    Tonester, Jun 11, 2006
  15. GeorgeF

    JimK Guest

    On 10 Jun 2006 04:23:11 -0700, "GeorgeF" <>
    wrote:

    >JimK wrote:
    >> On 9 Jun 2006 17:37:24 -0700, "GeorgeF" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >There's a store in Toronto called PC4CANADA (www.pc4canada.com) that
    >> >had a special on TY DVD-R discs (100 for $25). After hearing all the
    >> >glowing reviews, I figured I'd buy a stack while it was on special and
    >> >try it out. The burn quality is acceptable, but not as good as I'd
    >> >have expected based on how much people seem to worship at the TY alter
    >> >here. About what I got with RiData G05. I got better results from the
    >> >SmartBuy discs that I usually buy.
    >> >
    >> >I think I got scammed as I've checked some websites on confirming their
    >> >authenticity and the stack I got had no cover sheet, and the hubs were
    >> >transparent, not semi-opaque., with no markings except a bar code. The
    >> >only markings that indicate that it's TY media are on a photocopied
    >> >label that the store taped to the stack. Packaging was shrink wrapped
    >> >with plastic end caps and a plastic rod through the middle.
    >> >
    >> >Did I get scammed or am I just being paranoid? The store swears it's
    >> >real, and they don't do refunds on media, so I'm stuck with it.
    >> >
    >> >-George

    >> The ty value pack is grade b 4x media and i bet you burnt at 8x

    >Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did -- though it's not much of a wager,
    >given as I admitted as much several hours earlier. However, if those
    >discs were what they were advertising, burning them at 8x shouldn't
    >have been a problem.
    >
    >"TAIYO YUDEN DVD-R 4.7GB 8X A Grade Taiyo Yuden Code SHINY 100 PACK
    >CLEAR OPP "
    >
    >If you follow the URL to their online site, that's what's being
    >advertised -- at least in their online catalog. Their main page lists
    >it as "Tiayo Yuden". I've no idea what the OPP refers to.
    >
    >I also checked out Lance's (Thanks) link to the page on authenticity of
    >TY media. I'm now almost certain that the discs are fake. I had read
    >similar descriptions, but now I know what the real thing would look
    >like and I'll know what to look for in the future.
    >
    >It appears that either they sold me a lower grade disc than
    >advertised, but otherwise genuine TY media, or they're selling totally
    >fake TY discs (admittedly pretty good fakes if they can match Ritek in
    >performance). Either way, what's being sold isn't what's advertised.
    >If you find yourself in Toronto, you might want to avoid this store.
    >
    >-George

    Its is advertized Taiyo Yuden 8x, Can't find any reference to
    Mfn:920GEN-8XS-100 anywhere. 8x Taiyo Yuden dvd-r at 25 cents each is
    the best I have ever seen.

    To verify genuine TY, turn the disc over and look at the dye side.
    There should be a number embossed into the dye near the hub. It will
    start with GG, GH, TG etc depending on the media type. On printable
    discs, the number will very difficult to see without a bright light.
    All TY have this number.

    http://www.pc4canada.com/default/Pr...1&KEYWORDS=Taiyo Yuden&PID=103755&QNT=1&UID=0

    http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-4x-dvd-r.html
    http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-how-to-tell-fake-or-real.html

    Typical error scan for Taiyo Yuden 4x value, one of 200 I have tested
    http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ty02value3ic.jpg

    JimK, Jun 11, 2006