Fake Microsoft Email Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Howard, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Hello to all and thanks for reading this.

    I am one of the goofballs who obviously opened one the fake Microsoft
    emails I received and gave myself an infection.

    My (un named) antivirus program did not catch it for whatever reason.

    I am now using the AntiVir Personal Edition program.

    I downloaded from Symantec a program that would remove the virus. It
    found the Swen bug or worm or whatever the hell it is, and deleted 8
    infected files and 1 registry file. Now it shows that I am sqeaky
    clean, as does my AntiVir program.

    I am still getting 40 or 40 fake Microsoft emails every day with
    attachments.

    Is there any advice anyone can give me to stop this horror??

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

    Howard
    Howard, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Howard

    Boomer Guest

    Howard, <> wrote:

    > Hello to all and thanks for reading this.
    >
    > I am one of the goofballs who obviously opened one the fake
    > Microsoft emails I received and gave myself an infection.
    >
    > My (un named) antivirus program did not catch it for whatever
    > reason.
    >
    > I am now using the AntiVir Personal Edition program.
    >
    > I downloaded from Symantec a program that would remove the
    > virus. It found the Swen bug or worm or whatever the hell it is,
    > and deleted 8 infected files and 1 registry file. Now it shows
    > that I am sqeaky clean, as does my AntiVir program.
    >
    > I am still getting 40 or 40 fake Microsoft emails every day with
    > attachments.
    >
    > Is there any advice anyone can give me to stop this horror??
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
    >
    > Howard

    Freeware programs:
    SpamPal for Windows http://www.spampal.org/
    FrontGateMX http://www.presorium.com/index.shtml

    Also... if you need a firewall:
    OutPost
    http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostfree.html

    ~Safe Hex ~
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/safehex.html
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    Protecting Your Privacy & Security
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm

    ~ Munging ~
    http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide

    If you use Outlook Express go to...
    Tools> Accounts...> News tab> Properties button> General tab.
    Under "User Information" change the "Name", "E-mail address"
    and "Reply address" fields.

    Example: lid
    Boomer, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Howard

    °Mike° Guest

    AntiVir PE is a pile of poo. It has probably THE worst false
    positive rate of all antivirus programs. It will have you
    running around in circles.

    For the fake MS stuff, install Magic Mail Monitor (free).
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.geeba.org/magic/

    Copy/paste the following into notepad and save it as swen.txt
    in the Magic Mail Monitor folder...

    ***** <--- Begin text file - OMIT THIS LINE
    <iframe src="cid
    <iframe src=3Dcid
    <iframe src=3D"cid
    TITLE=3D"Microsoft Home Site" target=3D"_top">Microsoft</A>
    this is the latest version of security update
    ***** <--- End text file - OMIT THIS LINE

    In File / Filters, create a new filter:

    Name: Swen
    Mailbox: *
    <Header> Includes '$Swen.txt'

    Actions:
    Check 'Delete from server'.

    On 4 Dec 2003 12:50:28 -0800, in
    <>
    Howard scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Howard

    Edward\(1\) Guest

    You can filter these out in Outlook Express. Go to Tools/Message Rules/Mail
    and look carefully at the options. I would suggest checking "Where the
    subject contains specific words" and "Delete". Click the "Contains specific
    words" link and type Microsoft or Update or both. Click OK, OK to set it up.
    You can name the rule or leave it at default.

    Any future e-mail with Microsoft in the subject will be automatically
    deleted.

    Good luck,

    Ed

    Edward\(1\), Dec 4, 2003
  5. Howard

    (o)_(o) Guest

    I was getting hamered with the same Swen virus although I wasnt
    infected.You need to setup filters to catch the virus at the server
    level providing your email client allows you to do so.Copy down all
    the headers and subject lines and apply them to the filters.I havent
    had any since I did it.

    (o)_(o), Dec 8, 2003
  6. Howard

    al Guest

    (o)_(o) wrote:
    > I was getting hamered with the same Swen virus although I wasnt
    > infected.You need to setup filters to catch the virus at the server
    > level providing your email client allows you to do so.Copy down all
    > the headers and subject lines and apply them to the filters.I havent
    > had any since I did it.
    >

    > On 4 Dec 2003 12:50:28 -0800, (Howard) wrote:
    >

    >>Hello to all and thanks for reading this.
    >>
    >>I am one of the goofballs who obviously opened one the fake Microsoft
    >>emails I received and gave myself an infection.
    >>
    >>My (un named) antivirus program did not catch it for whatever reason.
    >>
    >>I am now using the AntiVir Personal Edition program.
    >>
    >>I downloaded from Symantec a program that would remove the virus. It
    >>found the Swen bug or worm or whatever the hell it is, and deleted 8
    >>infected files and 1 registry file. Now it shows that I am sqeaky
    >>clean, as does my AntiVir program.
    >>
    >>I am still getting 40 or 40 fake Microsoft emails every day with
    >>attachments.
    >>
    >>Is there any advice anyone can give me to stop this horror??
    >>
    >>Any help greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
    >>
    >>Howard

    I use norton anti virus (symantec) and it checks incoming and outgoing
    mails like any decent antivirusprogram should.And the spam is handled
    very nice with my mailprog that comes with the Mozilla browser.
    regards
    al
    al, Dec 8, 2003