    could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
    fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Aug 30, 2005

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    CeeBee Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
    > Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
    > camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
    > had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
    > sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
    > too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
    > cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
    > manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
    > could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
    > fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?

    If a fake memory stick does the same as a genuine one, what's the problem?

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***

    CeeBee, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    ASAAR Guest

    On 30 Aug 2005 14:04:00 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
    > Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
    > camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
    > had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
    > sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
    > too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
    > cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
    > manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
    > could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
    > fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?

    Fake or mislabeled? At least as far back as 15 years ago there
    has been fakery in the industry. One common one was to mislabel
    CPUs as being rated at a higher clock speed than they actually were.
    Similarly, non-parity memory was sold as having parity, etc. Do the
    "fake" Memory Sticks (whether yours or others) have reliability
    problems or operate at lower speeds? You could always cut away the
    case to expose the semiconductor within. That's a sure way to
    identify more than who really made the chips. I'm not suggesting
    you do that though, unless the memory is completely dead. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    BJ Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
    > Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
    > camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
    > had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
    > sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
    > too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
    > cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
    > manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
    > could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
    > fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?
    >
    > - Siddhartha

    Put it in the camera, if it works it is a genuine fake.

    Many branded memorys are over priced. Many of the third party
    memories (ones that your dealer will likely call fake) are just as
    good (many made at the same factories as the branded ones).
    Branded memory modules like Sony and Canon are bought from
    a third party and relabeled.

    BJ

    BJ, Aug 31, 2005
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    imbsysop Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:27:26 GMT, "BJ" <> wrote:

    >"Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
    >> Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
    >> camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
    >> had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
    >> sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
    >> too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
    >> cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
    >> manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
    >> could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
    >> fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?
    >>
    >> - Siddhartha
    >>

    >Put it in the camera, if it works it is a genuine fake.
    >
    >Many branded memorys are over priced. Many of the third party
    >memories (ones that your dealer will likely call fake) are just as
    >good (many made at the same factories as the branded ones).
    >Branded memory modules like Sony and Canon are bought from
    >a third party and relabeled.

    ... unless el cheapo 512M (or lower?) were relabeled "1Gb" in some
    obscure backyard factory, then you would be buying very expensive
    memory sticks ... as said it happened before in "electronics"
    industry, a lot of customers are very easy to fool ..
    FWIW

    imbsysop, Aug 31, 2005
  6. imbsysop wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:27:26 GMT, "BJ" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I bought a 1GB Sony memory stick pro for ~US$88, here in Bombay, for my
    > >> Sony W7. Later, I complained to the dealer from whom I bought the
    > >> camera (not the stick) that he was asking too much for the stick (he
    > >> had quoted $128)!! He said I must've bought one of those fake memory
    > >> sticks. I was amused since I didn't know there were fake ones around
    > >> too. I was under the impression that semiconductor fabrication units
    > >> cost a lot of money making them unaffordable to anyone but large
    > >> manufacturers (who are very interested in branding them). Ofcourse, I
    > >> could be wrong. But just in case its a fake, is there anyway to tell a
    > >> fake memory stick pro from a genuine one?
    > >>
    > >> - Siddhartha
    > >>

    > >Put it in the camera, if it works it is a genuine fake.
    > >
    > >Many branded memorys are over priced. Many of the third party
    > >memories (ones that your dealer will likely call fake) are just as
    > >good (many made at the same factories as the branded ones).
    > >Branded memory modules like Sony and Canon are bought from
    > >a third party and relabeled.

    > .. unless el cheapo 512M (or lower?) were relabeled "1Gb" in some
    > obscure backyard factory, then you would be buying very expensive
    > memory sticks ... as said it happened before in "electronics"
    > industry, a lot of customers are very easy to fool ..
    > FWIW

    Well, it shows 949MB after being formatted in the camera with FAT
    filesystem. Also, Sony W7 does 640x480 @ 30fps only on Sony Memory
    Stick Pro (not the regular memory stick). So I checked that too and the
    videos came out at 640x480 @ ~30fps. The thing I have been warned about
    is that these *fake* sticks turn turtle pretty soon or are prone to
    data corruption.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Aug 31, 2005
  7. All this reminds me of my computer vendor who adviced me *not* to buy bulk
    ink to refill my printer cartridges (15 euros for 100 ml) but to buy his
    (refill) kits that contain among (reusable) instruments just 40 ml of ink
    for 19 euros.Of course, every merchant wants to sell his own products and
    claims that everything else but his' is fake.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Aug 31, 2005
  8. Siddhartha Jain

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:
    || imbsysop wrote:
    ||| .. unless el cheapo 512M (or lower?) were relabeled "1Gb" in
    ||| some
    ||| obscure backyard factory, then you would be buying very
    ||| expensive
    ||| memory sticks ... as said it happened before in
    "electronics"
    ||| industry, a lot of customers are very easy to fool ..
    ||| FWIW
    || Well, it shows 949MB after being formatted in the camera with
    || FAT filesystem. Also, Sony W7 does 640x480 @ 30fps only on
    || Sony Memory
    || Stick Pro (not the regular memory stick). So I checked that
    || too and the videos came out at 640x480 @ ~30fps. The thing I
    || have been warned about
    || is that these *fake* sticks turn turtle pretty soon or are
    || prone to
    || data corruption.
    || - Siddhartha

    Sony has never made a memory stick, they have them made by a
    third party manufacturer. They likely have the third-party
    manufacturer
    label them even. This is common practice among brand name
    companies.
    Just a hand full of companies manufacture all memory.

    "Every compromise was surrender and invited new demands." --
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

    BJ in Texas, Aug 31, 2005
  9. BJ in Texas wrote:
    > Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:
    > "electronics"
    > || Well, it shows 949MB after being formatted in the camera with
    > || FAT filesystem. Also, Sony W7 does 640x480 @ 30fps only on
    > || Sony Memory
    > || Stick Pro (not the regular memory stick). So I checked that
    > || too and the videos came out at 640x480 @ ~30fps. The thing I
    > || have been warned about
    > || is that these *fake* sticks turn turtle pretty soon or are
    > || prone to
    > || data corruption.
    > || - Siddhartha
    >
    > Sony has never made a memory stick, they have them made by a
    > third party manufacturer. They likely have the third-party
    > manufacturer
    > label them even. This is common practice among brand name
    > companies.
    > Just a hand full of companies manufacture all memory.

    Thats exactly my point. Lets say Sony OEM's the sticks from Sandisk
    then the sticks would sell under Sony's and Sandisk's brand names.
    Sandisk wouldn't have much reason to flood the market with Sony
    labelled sticks at half the price. Just giving an example. It could be
    Lexar or some other big manufacturer supplying the sticks but whoever
    it is won't flood the market with much cheaper *fakes*. So I am more
    inclined to think that the dealer was bluffing about the *fakes* sticks
    just because he couldn't offer the same deal. But then again, I would
    be able to tell only once my memory stick has lasted atleast six
    months.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Aug 31, 2005