Fairly OT, but VoIP related...

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ßødincµs²°°°, May 17, 2006.

  1. Hi lads,

    I'm helping out a very kind German bloke that is looking into a problem that
    the AVM Fritz!Box Fon has with some POTS phone lines when provided by
    cablecos (TW, NTL, etc...).
    Due to the fact that these companies have seldom "incorporated" some smaller
    local existing providers, their phone exchanges are very diverse, and then
    the Fritz!Box has patchy performances when connected to such phone lines.
    The AVM techie in question asked me - as a customer with the sufficient
    technical knowledge - to help him out, but I can't be helpful as I wanted
    because I actually don't know the make / brand / model of exchange I'm
    attached to.
    Is there any way to know it? I remember - from my "ISDN" age - that a key
    sequence gave back the ISDN TA brand, name and firmware version through a
    voice prompt.
    Is there any kind of command (i.e. *#98#) to get that from my phone line?
    Or - better - is there anyone that knows what's under the bonnet here in
    Perth, Scotland on Telewest?
    Your help could be very precious to iron out THE very last problem in the
    Fritz!Box range, making them a very attractive device for VoIP.

    TIA

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid

    ßødincµs²°°°, May 17, 2006

  2. ßødincµs²°°°

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message
    > Hi lads,
    >
    > I'm helping out a very kind German bloke that is looking
    > into a problem that the AVM Fritz!Box Fon has with some
    > POTS phone lines when provided by cablecos (TW, NTL,
    > etc...). Due to the fact that these companies have seldom
    > "incorporated" some smaller local existing providers,
    > their phone exchanges are very diverse, and then the
    > Fritz!Box has patchy performances when connected to such
    > phone lines. The AVM techie in question asked me - as a
    > customer with the sufficient technical knowledge - to
    > help him out, but I can't be helpful as I wanted because
    > I actually don't know the make / brand / model of
    > exchange I'm attached to. Is there any way to know it? I remember -
    > from my "ISDN"
    > age - that a key sequence gave back the ISDN TA brand,
    > name and firmware version through a voice prompt.
    > Is there any kind of command (i.e. *#98#) to get that
    > from my phone line? Or - better - is there anyone that
    > knows what's under the bonnet here in Perth, Scotland on
    > Telewest? Your help could be very precious to iron out THE very
    > last problem in the Fritz!Box range, making them a very
    > attractive device for VoIP.

    Hmm, you have me intrigued. What is the precise problem..? I have a
    Fritz!Box Fon (the original non-wireless version) and it works flawlessly
    on three different VoIP providers as well as my BT PSTN line.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2006

  3. ßødincµs²°°°

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones has brought this to us :
    is there anyone that
    >> knows what's under the bonnet here in Perth, Scotland on
    >> Telewest?

    > Hmm, you have me intrigued. What is the precise problem..? I have a Fritz!Box
    > Fon (the original non-wireless version) and it works flawlessly on three
    > different VoIP providers as well as my BT PSTN line.

    Erm, the problem's with /Telewest/ :/

    Jono, May 17, 2006
  4. Wed, 17 May 2006 19:11:48 +0100, lid%Bpopped out over
    the fence and said...

    |"ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message
    |> Hi lads,
    |>
    |> I'm helping out a very kind German bloke that is looking
    |> into a problem that the AVM Fritz!Box Fon has with some
    |> POTS phone lines when provided by cablecos (TW, NTL,
    |> etc...). Due to the fact that these companies have seldom
    |> "incorporated" some smaller local existing providers,
    |> their phone exchanges are very diverse, and then the
    |> Fritz!Box has patchy performances when connected to such
    |> phone lines. The AVM techie in question asked me - as a
    |> customer with the sufficient technical knowledge - to
    |> help him out, but I can't be helpful as I wanted because
    |> I actually don't know the make / brand / model of
    |> exchange I'm attached to. Is there any way to know it? I remember -
    |> from my "ISDN"
    |> age - that a key sequence gave back the ISDN TA brand,
    |> name and firmware version through a voice prompt.
    |> Is there any kind of command (i.e. *#98#) to get that
    |> from my phone line? Or - better - is there anyone that
    |> knows what's under the bonnet here in Perth, Scotland on
    |> Telewest? Your help could be very precious to iron out THE very
    |> last problem in the Fritz!Box range, making them a very
    |> attractive device for VoIP.
    |
    |Hmm, you have me intrigued. What is the precise problem..? I have a
    |Fritz!Box Fon (the original non-wireless version) and it works flawlessly
    |on three different VoIP providers as well as my BT PSTN line.
    |
    |Ivor

    Yup Ivor,

    The prob is with the East Scottish Telewest area, the phone exchanges
    are different from BT. I've had the info from another NGer, they are
    Nortel DMS 100, completely different from BT's.
    It's American (USA) stuff, with different parameters than UK, so the
    Fritz is a bit baffled by different levels, REN, ring pattern, etc. and
    misbehaves on incoming PSTN calls.
    Is slow to detect an incoming call, then slow to start ringing on the
    phones, and slow to detect that the caller party has hung up before my
    answer, then keeps ringing when the caller has already hung up.
    The lag is relevant, about 10 seconds, and strongly affects the "user
    experience" :) .
    I've passed this info, let's see...
    Apart from that, cracking little monster! It does what says on the tin,
    flawlessly and reliably.
    Bought a month ago, installed in a jiffy, all the stuff up and running
    since then: LAN, WLAN, VoIP, firewall, etc... Lovely little box!

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid

    ßødincµs²°°°, May 17, 2006
  5. ßødincµs²°°°

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote
    in message
    > Ivor Jones has brought this to us :
    > is there anyone that
    > > > knows what's under the bonnet here in Perth, Scotland
    > > > on Telewest?

    > > Hmm, you have me intrigued. What is the precise
    > > problem..? I have a Fritz!Box Fon (the original
    > > non-wireless version) and it works flawlessly on three
    > > different VoIP providers as well as my BT PSTN line.

    > Erm, the problem's with /Telewest/ :/

    I know that, but that doesn't answer the question I asked..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2006
  6. ßødincµs²°°°

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > The prob is with the East Scottish Telewest area, the
    > phone exchanges are different from BT. I've had the info
    > from another NGer, they are Nortel DMS 100, completely
    > different from BT's.
    > It's American (USA) stuff, with different parameters than
    > UK, so the Fritz is a bit baffled by different levels,
    > REN, ring pattern, etc. and misbehaves on incoming PSTN
    > calls.
    > Is slow to detect an incoming call, then slow to start
    > ringing on the phones, and slow to detect that the caller
    > party has hung up before my answer, then keeps ringing
    > when the caller has already hung up.
    > The lag is relevant, about 10 seconds, and strongly
    > affects the "user experience" :) .
    > I've passed this info, let's see...
    > Apart from that, cracking little monster! It does what
    > says on the tin, flawlessly and reliably.
    > Bought a month ago, installed in a jiffy, all the stuff
    > up and running since then: LAN, WLAN, VoIP, firewall,
    > etc... Lovely little box!

    Have you set the regional options to UK..? If so try setting it to USA, if
    your exchange is giving US tones etc. and see if that cures it.

    Email me direct with a contact number if you want to do any tests. g6urp01
    at googlemail dot com will reach me.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2006
  7. Wed, 17 May 2006 23:30:36 +0100, lid%Bpopped out over
    the fence and said...

    |"ßødincµs²°°°" <> wrote in message

    |[snip]
    |
    |> The prob is with the East Scottish Telewest area, the
    |> phone exchanges are different from BT. I've had the info
    |> from another NGer, they are Nortel DMS 100, completely
    |> different from BT's.
    |> It's American (USA) stuff, with different parameters than
    |> UK, so the Fritz is a bit baffled by different levels,
    |> REN, ring pattern, etc. and misbehaves on incoming PSTN
    |> calls.
    |> Is slow to detect an incoming call, then slow to start
    |> ringing on the phones, and slow to detect that the caller
    |> party has hung up before my answer, then keeps ringing
    |> when the caller has already hung up.
    |> The lag is relevant, about 10 seconds, and strongly
    |> affects the "user experience" :) .
    |> I've passed this info, let's see...
    |> Apart from that, cracking little monster! It does what
    |> says on the tin, flawlessly and reliably.
    |> Bought a month ago, installed in a jiffy, all the stuff
    |> up and running since then: LAN, WLAN, VoIP, firewall,
    |> etc... Lovely little box!
    |
    |Have you set the regional options to UK..? If so try setting it to USA, if
    |your exchange is giving US tones etc. and see if that cures it.
    |
    |Email me direct with a contact number if you want to do any tests. g6urp01
    |at googlemail dot com will reach me.
    |

    |Ivor

    Thought of that, I'd prefer not to "experiment" during weekdays, I'll do
    something this WE.

    I can do any test by myself, thanks for the offer anyway!

    --
    ßødincµs²°°° - The Y2K Druid

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=DF=F8dinc=B5s=B2=B0=B0=B0?=, May 18, 2006