    I notice a lot of dvd's with a water mark appearance that I guess is the dye
    layer not glued properly to the plastic creating a little air pocket, is
    this what dvd rot is.
    kiwiwidescreen, May 19, 2004

  2. kiwiwidescreen

    Richard Guest

    kiwiwidescreen wrote:
    > Did anyone see the fair go episode tonight, I was channel surfing and caught
    > the end of it so didn't see the explanation of dvd rot etc... If dvd rot is
    > what I think it is then I would have to return 1/2 my dvd collection, it is
    > already hard enough to buy a dvd in NZ that is in new condition, i.e no
    > scratches, if you took out the dvd rot ones as well it would be nigh on
    > impossible to buy a dvd at all.

    When I buy my DVDs I always look them over for any scratches and ask them to
    swap them... pisses the salesdroids at the warehouse off no end.

    People that I have met from overseas are appauled that opening the discs and
    making them used is accepted as the norm here.

    > So anyway what was the word on dvd rot.
    > I notice a lot of dvd's with a water mark appearance that I guess is the dye
    > layer not glued properly to the plastic creating a little air pocket, is
    > this what dvd rot is.

    I have had a few of my old cds have the foil start to corrode from the outside
    inwards, im assuming that dvd rot is the same. Have only had the same issue with
    the foil on cheap shitty CD-Rs and some kodaks too..
    Richard, May 19, 2004

  3. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > kiwiwidescreen wrote:
    > > Did anyone see the fair go episode tonight, I was channel surfing and

    caught
    > > the end of it so didn't see the explanation of dvd rot etc... If dvd rot

    is
    > > what I think it is then I would have to return 1/2 my dvd collection, it

    is
    > > already hard enough to buy a dvd in NZ that is in new condition, i.e no
    > > scratches, if you took out the dvd rot ones as well it would be nigh on
    > > impossible to buy a dvd at all.

    > When I buy my DVDs I always look them over for any scratches and ask them

    > swap them... pisses the salesdroids at the warehouse off no end.
    >
    > People that I have met from overseas are appauled that opening the discs

    and
    > making them used is accepted as the norm here.
    >
    > > So anyway what was the word on dvd rot.
    > > I notice a lot of dvd's with a water mark appearance that I guess is the

    dye
    > > layer not glued properly to the plastic creating a little air pocket, is
    > > this what dvd rot is.

    > I have had a few of my old cds have the foil start to corrode from the

    outside
    > inwards, im assuming that dvd rot is the same. Have only had the same

    issue with
    > the foil on cheap shitty CD-Rs and some kodaks too..

    I buy most of my dvd's from overseas because of the fact it is so hard to
    get dvd's in new condition here, I wouldn't mind if they charged 2ndhand
    prices but I am not going to pay retail for something in 2ndhand condition.
    The dvd's I order from overseas are not only mint as far as the disc goes
    but as a bonus the case is also mint, no shop soiling. Actually dvd's sold
    in aussie shops are shrink-wrapped so the is no shop soiling of the cases.
    The treatment of dvd's in shops here is appalling but I guess it is because
    generally kiwi's don't demand anything more. We are the only country in the
    world that treats dvd's this way as far as I know, I have bought from 5
    different countries besides NZ.
    I have had your problem as described once on a dodgy patch of cdrs.
    kiwiwidescreen, May 19, 2004
  4. kiwiwidescreen

    Palm Guest

    "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote in message
    > The treatment of dvd's in shops here is appalling but I guess it is

    because
    > generally kiwi's don't demand anything more. We are the only country in

    the
    > world that treats dvd's this way as far as I know, I have bought from 5
    > different countries besides NZ.
    > I have had your problem as described once on a dodgy patch of cdrs.

    Not all retailers are the same ... i noticed in Harvey Normans they
    sometimes have the dvds in plastic cases with discs still sealed. Can also
    remember buying from Warehouse once and gettin a sealed dvd ... was new
    release LOTR, I gave the display cover and got given the sealed dvd. This
    is what more retailers should do.

    Had a good laugh at Bond & Bonds ... they decided to take out xbox games
    from cases then when PRG decided to stop selling xbox games the distributor
    wouldn't take back the games ... were selling them at crazy prices. What
    pisses me off is some idiot employees at BnB and Noel Leemings (Lower Hutt
    branches) that take dvds home ... the amount of times I've come across
    scratched dvds is just amazing. At least with Whitcoulls, Warehouse and HN
    don't have REAL second hand discs. ...J
    Palm, May 19, 2004
  5. kiwiwidescreen

    Kiwi Pete Guest

    Hi, it appears that DVD rot is exactly as you suspected, the two layers
    parting because the glue is breaking down.

    --

    Thanks, Pete.

    > Did anyone see the fair go episode tonight, I was channel surfing and

    caught
    > the end of it so didn't see the explanation of dvd rot etc... If dvd rot

    is
    > what I think it is then I would have to return 1/2 my dvd collection, it

    is
    > already hard enough to buy a dvd in NZ that is in new condition, i.e no
    > scratches, if you took out the dvd rot ones as well it would be nigh on
    > impossible to buy a dvd at all.
    > So anyway what was the word on dvd rot.
    > I notice a lot of dvd's with a water mark appearance that I guess is the

    dye
    > layer not glued properly to the plastic creating a little air pocket, is
    > this what dvd rot is.

    ---
    Kiwi Pete, May 19, 2004
  6. kiwiwidescreen

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Kiwi Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, it appears that DVD rot is exactly as you suspected, the two layers
    > parting because the glue is breaking down.

    A guy in the industry said that early DVDs could be affected, glue compounds
    have improved. Some flaws can happen in a bad batch as well. How the DVDs
    are handled also makes a difference.
    The guy on Fair Go with the faulty DVD which showed glue damage from the
    inside of his 2 year old Aliens DVD had it replaced for nothing by the NZ
    distributors. He had emailed 20th Century Fox about it. Who said tough,
    because it was over a year old. They wouldn't know the condition of it
    without seeing the DVD for themselves. Just looking at the condition of how
    people treat the latest rental DVDs is bad enough.
    Not bending the DVDs in getting them unclipped from their case makes a
    difference.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, May 19, 2004
  7. kiwiwidescreen

    Tarla Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:16:53 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >kiwiwidescreen wrote:
    >> Did anyone see the fair go episode tonight, I was channel surfing and caught
    >> the end of it so didn't see the explanation of dvd rot etc... If dvd rot is
    >> what I think it is then I would have to return 1/2 my dvd collection, it is
    >> already hard enough to buy a dvd in NZ that is in new condition, i.e no
    >> scratches, if you took out the dvd rot ones as well it would be nigh on
    >> impossible to buy a dvd at all.

    >When I buy my DVDs I always look them over for any scratches and ask them to
    >swap them... pisses the salesdroids at the warehouse off no end.
    >
    >People that I have met from overseas are appauled that opening the discs and
    >making them used is accepted as the norm here.
    >
    >> So anyway what was the word on dvd rot.
    >> I notice a lot of dvd's with a water mark appearance that I guess is the dye
    >> layer not glued properly to the plastic creating a little air pocket, is
    >> this what dvd rot is.

    >I have had a few of my old cds have the foil start to corrode from the outside
    >inwards, im assuming that dvd rot is the same. Have only had the same issue with
    >the foil on cheap shitty CD-Rs and some kodaks too..

    I noticed recently that my CD's are starting to get pockmarks in them
    that are not from use. As a result, I've been copying all of them into
    my computer so as not to lose my investment.
    Tarla, May 19, 2004
  8. kiwiwidescreen

    richard Guest

    > I noticed recently that my CD's are starting to get pockmarks in them
    > that are not from use. As a result, I've been copying all of them into
    > my computer so as not to lose my investment.

    I have got some cds where you can see light thru them in small places.

    Also, a spindle of SKC Cd-Rs I got recently have had 3 in it that I wasnt
    preparird to write on, as they had flaws in the foil that were visable..
    richard, May 20, 2004
  9. kiwiwidescreen

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Tarla" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:16:53 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > >kiwiwidescreen wrote:
    > >> Did anyone see the fair go episode tonight, I was channel surfing and

    caught
    > >> the end of it so didn't see the explanation of dvd rot etc... If dvd

    rot is
    > >> what I think it is then I would have to return 1/2 my dvd collection,

    it is
    > >> already hard enough to buy a dvd in NZ that is in new condition, i.e no
    > >> scratches, if you took out the dvd rot ones as well it would be nigh on
    > >> impossible to buy a dvd at all.

    > >When I buy my DVDs I always look them over for any scratches and ask them

    > >swap them... pisses the salesdroids at the warehouse off no end.
    > >
    > >People that I have met from overseas are appauled that opening the discs

    and
    > >making them used is accepted as the norm here.
    > >
    > >> So anyway what was the word on dvd rot.
    > >> I notice a lot of dvd's with a water mark appearance that I guess is

    the dye
    > >> layer not glued properly to the plastic creating a little air pocket,

    is
    > >> this what dvd rot is.

    > >I have had a few of my old cds have the foil start to corrode from the

    outside
    > >inwards, im assuming that dvd rot is the same. Have only had the same

    issue with
    > >the foil on cheap shitty CD-Rs and some kodaks too..

    > I noticed recently that my CD's are starting to get pockmarks in them
    > that are not from use. As a result, I've been copying all of them into
    > my computer so as not to lose my investment.

    Fair enough too. Otherwise they'd be bloody expensive rentals once they
    become unusable.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, May 20, 2004
  10. "Palm" <stinky1stinky@[nospam]hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote in message
    > > The treatment of dvd's in shops here is appalling but I guess it is

    > because
    > > generally kiwi's don't demand anything more. We are the only country in

    > the
    > > world that treats dvd's this way as far as I know, I have bought from 5
    > > different countries besides NZ.
    > > I have had your problem as described once on a dodgy patch of cdrs.
    > >

    > Not all retailers are the same ... i noticed in Harvey Normans they
    > sometimes have the dvds in plastic cases with discs still sealed. Can

    also
    > remember buying from Warehouse once and gettin a sealed dvd ... was new
    > release LOTR, I gave the display cover and got given the sealed dvd. This
    > is what more retailers should do.
    >
    > Had a good laugh at Bond & Bonds ... they decided to take out xbox games
    > from cases then when PRG decided to stop selling xbox games the

    distributor
    > wouldn't take back the games ... were selling them at crazy prices. What
    > pisses me off is some idiot employees at BnB and Noel Leemings (Lower Hutt
    > branches) that take dvds home ... the amount of times I've come across
    > scratched dvds is just amazing. At least with Whitcoulls, Warehouse and

    HN
    > don't have REAL second hand discs. ...J

    Yes if you get in quick on a new release dvd you can get a sealed one from
    the Warehouse as they don't have room to put every copy of a big release on
    the shelves, but this is the exception, not the rule. Generally speaking
    though most dvd retailers in NZ treat their dvd's appallingly.
    I couldn't care less if the dvd has been watched as long as it is still in
    mint condition, it is the soiled condition of the discs that is a problem
    surely. And how do you know these others stores don't suffer from employees
    taking the discs home, it would not surprise me if this was a prevalent
    problem, the real problem is the attitude of the retailers as they see no
    problem with a less than new condition disc as long as it goes which of
    course is the same benchmark that a 2ndhand disc must meet, so as it is
    there is no practical difference between a 2ndhand disc and a new one. Of
    course even more a fault is the NZ consumer who accepts this shabby
    attitude, if consumers were insisting on mint condition discs then that is
    what we would get, I guess this is the downside of NZers laid back
    attitudes.
    kiwiwidescreen, May 20, 2004
  11. kiwiwidescreen

    GraB Guest

    I suspect that bad handling of DVDs comes from the rather entrenched
    myth put about when CDs first came about that they were
    indestructable. Shops used to demonstrate the 'toughness' of CDs by
    stepping on them then putting them back in the player, to show their
    'superiority' to the vinyl LPs. Unfortunately this belief seems to
    persist and carries over to DVDs. People think you can use them for
    coasters and they will still be alright. It really peeves me when I
    get a hire DVD, even new ones, and find numerous noticeable scratches
    on them.

    GraB, May 20, 2004
  12. kiwiwidescreen

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:12:13 +1200, "Kiwi Pete"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, it appears that DVD rot is exactly as you suspected, the two layers
    >parting because the glue is breaking down.

    I had one hire DVD once where you could see this watermark effect. It
    wouldn't play past a certain point so on a hunch I washed it in warm
    water. It seemed to cause the layers to bond again and it played.
    Worth a try.
    GraB, May 20, 2004
  13. kiwiwidescreen

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > I suspect that bad handling of DVDs comes from the rather entrenched
    > myth put about when CDs first came about that they were
    > indestructable. Shops used to demonstrate the 'toughness' of CDs by
    > stepping on them then putting them back in the player, to show their
    > 'superiority' to the vinyl LPs. Unfortunately this belief seems to
    > persist and carries over to DVDs. People think you can use them for
    > coasters and they will still be alright. It really peeves me when I
    > get a hire DVD, even new ones, and find numerous noticeable scratches
    > on them.

    That's right, and in some cases the video store has only had the things for
    a week for the latest ones. Yet the buggers are still scratched. Makes one
    wonder how good they are when they come in. Also the outfit I use has their
    name on the DVD, they might not take much care when they shove that on.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, May 20, 2004
  14. kiwiwidescreen

    news@11.00 Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > I suspect that bad handling of DVDs comes from the rather entrenched
    > myth put about when CDs first came about that they were
    > indestructable. Shops used to demonstrate the 'toughness' of CDs by
    > stepping on them then putting them back in the player, to show their
    > 'superiority' to the vinyl LPs. Unfortunately this belief seems to
    > persist and carries over to DVDs. People think you can use them for
    > coasters and they will still be alright. It really peeves me when I
    > get a hire DVD, even new ones, and find numerous noticeable scratches
    > on them.

    And NZ retailers' paranoia over shoplifting.
    Most NZ retail security is non-existant.
    Even big stores like Whitcoulls (who sell a lot of DVDs locally) are too
    stingy to implement proper store security like scanners placed at entry
    points.

    Hop over to Oz and you'll find most stores keep their new DVD stock
    shrinkwrapped and locked away in a secure place with only a few empty cases
    on display.

    Or they put the DVDs in bulky, locked display boxes.

    The worse thing you can do to a DVD or CD is to take it out of it's case and
    store it in those horrid paper sleeves.
    news@11.00, May 21, 2004