Failure to connect to ADSL Router and thence Internet

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. I've just downloaded the 64 bit evaluation copy before embarking on a full
    purchase. The Computer is based on the Athlon 64 bit chip and has been
    happily working for a year on the XP Pro 32 bit op system. I have two PCs
    linked through a SMC Barricade ADSL Router. I successfully set up a second
    partition on the origial Disk and have a dual boot capabilty. XP 64 bit
    version successfully installed but no networking connection could be
    established. The Compatibilty programme indicated all was well, but I cannot
    set up a network connection!

    I've tried IPCONFIG /RELEASE & RENEW etc from command prompt to no avail and
    cannot therefore get any response - no IP is listed for the PC at all.
    Network Analysis merely mentions TCP/IP failure as the fault. I simply
    cannot get the Network to be recognised when then trying to setup via Network
    connections or by setting up a WORKGROUP under setup. I've even manually
    inserted the relevant IP in the Interface setup, again to no avail.

    Put simply the PC doesn't recognise that it exists at all - can't link to
    any other network device or PC on the router and can't interogate the outside
    world through the browser to register the programme - download any updates or
    relevant device drivers that might need upgrading - have had little sleep
    over the last 24 hours - worked to 03:15 this morning and again worked from
    08:30 until now ................ssssssssss!

    Any ideas and help would be much appreciated

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Without knowing the motherboard, NIC, and so on it is hard to give advice.
    It sounds like you need to obtain a 64-bit driver for the NIC from the
    manufacturer's website or mobo makers's website. XP64 cannot use the same
    driver that the XP x86 has been using.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 3, 2005

  3. Colin,

    The Motherboard is by SOLTEK, I'm not sure what other details are required.
    My knowledge is limited so what is "NIC" and "mobo" mean to a layman?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=, Dec 3, 2005
  4. NIC - Network Interface Card (Ethernet Card) - This is what you plug the
    category 5 cable into and connect to your router.
    MoBo - Mother board or System Board, made up of integrated circurity that
    connects all the different components that make up a computer, such as your
    Ethernet Card, Video Card, Sound Card, Modem.

    For the SolTek, mother board, a model number would be nice, would help
    narrow down the problem.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 3, 2005
  5. If the NIC is integrated with the Soltek mobo then you need to see the
    Soltek website and search for 64-bit drivers for the components.
    Unfortunately, the drivers and utilities on the companion cd's for even
    64-bit capable motherboards are generally 32-bit on the assumption that XP
    Pro x86 or XP Home x86 will be the OS preinstalled.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 3, 2005
  6. I've found the Soltek Mainboard Driver and System Utilities Package CD that
    came with the motherboard. So far I have been able to establish that the
    chipset is NVidia and that the motherboard is SLK 8 AN2E(taken from the hand
    written invoice) which is consistent with the quotation that was typed, which
    indicated that it would be a Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR MAINBOARD. However, the web
    page has "Soltek SL-K8AN2-GR/SL-K8AN2E-GR" listed which infers a slight
    subtle difference that I don't fully understand. It is futher complicated by
    the fact that there are a number of BIOS and driver options listed, along
    with a number of manuals see
    http://www.soltek.de/soltek/download/download_all.php

    What the correct choice is I'm not too sure at the moment. I need to
    download the page and review the relevant documentation and study the options
    in more detail to identify what appears to be the correct route to take, any
    suggestions would be appreciated.

    So a question that needs to be answered here is am I looking to change the
    board's BIOS, which raises the question of dual booting with the 32bit
    version whilst I feel confident enough that I have developed a viable 64bit
    system. Or am I merely looking to upgrade the driver for this
    motherboard/Athlon chip. Which ever how do I implement this change - not
    attempted any thing like this before except I have loaded the SMC Barricade
    software upgrades, so I guess there must be a similar route.

    It must be clear that I am way out of my depth, but am determined to
    persist if others are still prepared to cope with my low level of knowledge
    and to coax me along. After all I've just taken early retirement and am
    clearly in need of some technical stimulation and challenge to while away the
    winter period!

    The Video card is the 256MB ATI Sapphire card, not sure if it's the ATI
    9550 AGP.

    As was muted, loading the Motherboard CD indicates that the sw is all 32bit
    as was implied. The sound card is a Creative Audigy of some vintage -
    transferred from an earlier PC and was surplus to requirements - still worked
    so good use was made of it. However if it must go then so be it. As for the
    ethernet card I'm not yet sure if it's separate or integrated.

    I've made contact with the guy that integrated the PC some 12 months ago and
    posed a number of questions - I await his response!

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=, Dec 3, 2005
  7. You should only update a BIOS if it fixes a problem. In this case it might.
    The system builder is the best source for that advice. I am willing to bet
    a virtual steak dinner that the nVidia drivers should be updated. Updating
    the ATI graphics driver should be straight forward once you have the system
    up and running. I still don't see anything about your NIC.

    The best thing to do is get with your system builder and stay with them
    until you are all fixed up.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 3, 2005
  8. Your motherboard
    http://www.soltek.com.tw/soltek/product/products_all.php?isbn_st=SL-K8AN2-GR/SL-K8AN2E-GR
    has an nVidia nforce 3 chipset so you need to apply the chipset drivers
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp64_6.25.html. These beta
    drivers are the latest and best for your chipset.

    Until you do this you will not have a working ethernet adapter, which is why
    you cannot connect to the net.or other computers on your network.

    Do not apply the nVidia IDE drivers.

    Install, and then uninstall the nVidia firewall.

    This motherboard also has a Promise 20579 SATA controller. The best driver I
    can find is at http://www.storagedrivers.com/companies/854.htm

    The latest Realtek sound drivers for your motherboard are at
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

    There are no release notes for the latest motherboard BIOS. Don't update the
    BIOS unless you have any problems.

    You should review your Device Manager after installing the drivers above to
    make sure you have no unknown devices or devices without drivers.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 4, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 04/12/2005 Dominic Payer wrote:

    > Do not apply the nVidia IDE drivers.

    Dominic - can you expand on this a bit please, I am close to installing
    XP64 on an nForce4 board.

    With XP Pro I usually install the IDE drivers, although it is optional.
    Is it best not to install them in XP64?

    Be nice to get it right from the start :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 4, 2005
  10. With nForce4 there are WHQL drivers. For nForce3 there are still only the
    6.25 betas which do not install the IDE drivers by default. As RedRooster
    has basic setup problems, I preferred not to install them, at least until he
    has a fully working system.

    Reports I have seen suggest there is little or no benefit from the nVidia
    IDE drivers (some have said performance is slightly worse), but neither are
    there reports of problems. If you are happy to cope with any - unlikely -
    problems, go ahead and install them.

    Personally, I have run my nForce3 system with and without them and noticed
    no practical difference.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 4, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 04/12/2005 Dominic Payer wrote:

    > Reports I have seen suggest there is little or no benefit from the
    > nVidia IDE drivers (some have said performance is slightly worse),
    > but neither are there reports of problems. If you are happy to cope
    > with any - unlikely - problems, go ahead and install them.
    >
    > Personally, I have run my nForce3 system with and without them and
    > noticed no practical difference.

    OK, thanks very much for the prompt response, looks like another driver
    I don't really need to install :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 4, 2005
  12. Dominic - first of al a BIG thankyou - I can now access the outside world
    through the ADSL Barricade Router although not the rest of my network.

    The key as was stated was the nVidia chipset and using your instructions I
    can now acess the outside world and have downloaded the updates etc.

    Of course this is not the end but just the beginning!

    One or two points though:

    I think the IDE drivers got installed by default - have had to reload x64 a
    couple of times to get rid of one or two glitches - now realise why there
    aren't many installations out there. Firm believer of having a secure
    platfor from an IT security point of view - so where are the likes of
    Zonealarm et al x64 bit applications. Found that Avast has an Antivirus
    option but when trying to use NOD32 in it's 64 bit option system stalled to a
    crawl - hence one of the reloads.

    This raises the question why load and then unload the nVidia Firewall -
    thought any proprietary sw in this area was superior to the microsoft
    offering - both incomming and outgoing requirements are required. Any
    sugestions in providing Internet security sw would be most helpful if I stay
    with the x64 Edition - as I said a secure baseline is crucial in my mind
    before I let the PC "free access" to the outside world - I know that
    currently there aren't suppose to be many native x64 bit intrusion sw - but
    given time !!

    Using your guidance re Promise 20579 SATA controller I couldn't download
    this sw the site just wasn't running.

    Hence when viewing the device drivers I have a number of areas that are
    reported as other devices:

    Multimedia Audio Controller
    Multimedia Video Controller
    PCI Input Device
    RAID Controller

    However, mt Hard Disks are set up for IDE not the SATA option as I re-used a
    disc from an earlier computer - should I opt for the SATA route in the future?

    Once I've sorted out the above options it then leaves me with the
    interesting problems of talking to my internal network!

    Why I can't get the two PCs talking is a mystery to me as I've set them up
    using the wizard etc and transferred the setup data from one to the other via
    a floppy. My primary PC (not the x64 Edition) sees the other PC but excludes
    access via the administrator. Whilst the Secondary PC(x64 Edition) doesn't
    see the other unit at all, and yes the network title Mshome is consistent.

    My most severe challenges though are getting x64 drivers for:

    LINKSYS Network Storage system for model number NSLU2 (has 2x Maxstor
    250/300GB drives)
    NETGEAR SC101 (has 2x Maxtor 300GB drives) and
    Silex SX-2000U2 USB Network connection which shares across my intranet my
    printer, scanner, 750MB Zip Drive, 250MB Zip Drive, Card Reader and Lacie NEC
    DVD Drive and Digital camera link so that both PCs have independent use of
    the resources!

    A tall order some will say!

    Oh and I've yet to access
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

    I thought that I'd bring you up to date - again a big thank you for getting
    me to where I am at the moment - interestingly enough I've yet to hear from
    the system supplier whom I left messages with over the weekend - does that
    not surprise you?

    BobG

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=, Dec 5, 2005
  13. CA's eTrust AV 7.1x is certified for and supported on x64. Performance is
    excellent.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 5, 2005
  14. There is no disadvantage to having the nVidia IDE drivers installed. Just in
    case they caused problems it would have been preferable to leave them until
    your system was fully working.

    There are few or no firewalls for x64. If you are behind a router with an
    inbuilt NAT firewall and use the Windows Firewall you are adequately
    protected.

    The nVidia firewall is known to cause intermittent blockage of net access
    unless installed and uninstalled. No-one seems to know exactly why this
    happens.

    Sometimes, you just have to wait for up to 20 minutes until networked
    computers see each other. Can you ping them?

    The Linksys NSLU2, Netgear SC101 and Silex SX2000-U2 shouldn't need drivers,
    as they have ethernet connections to your network and should be
    automatically configured by DHCP from your router. You may need to access
    and configure them directly over the network if their setup programs won't
    work on x64.

    You will need x64 drivers for the printer and scanner, and also for the
    digital camera if you want to do anything other than transfer files.

    SATA disks are the future, but if you don't have any SATA disks there's no
    need to worry about drivers for the Promise controller. That's probably the
    RAID controller showing without drivers in Device Manager.

    The Multimedia Audio Controller will be the onboard sound.
    The Video Controller and PCI Input Device wil need further identification.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 5, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Bob?

    What is it you mean by "I've set them up using the wizard etc and
    transferred the setup data from one to the other via a floppy." ? What data
    precisely?

    I hope that you are only referring to setting up your NICs since that's all
    you needed to do! Using the wizard was a bad idea too. Not needed and only
    leads to confusion mostly.

    You have an SMC Barricade Router. Is that one with the inbuilt ADSL modem or
    not? (I also had both at various times). As Dominic has already said, this
    has a built-in DHCP server that is totally automatic. ***All you needed to
    do in the first place was to hook one PC's ethernet port up to it and then
    wait. Whilst waiting it's useful to have the "Network Connections" folder
    open and just watch (this is assuming that your NIC card was properly
    initialised by the OS). If all is as it should be, you will see the card go
    to "enable" and at this point, if you highlight it by clicking on it, you
    will see what's going on lower left in the Network Connections window. The
    next thing you see should be "acquirring network address" with 0.0.0.0 below
    it or to the side. Eventually, when the router has sorted it, you will see a
    private address pop-up of the form 192.168.2.xxx (SMC's usually default to
    192.168.2.1 for the default gateway and subnet) and at that point your PC
    will be connected to the router's switch at usually 100Mbps. Also, the MS
    wizard will pop-up in a tooltip from the system tray telling you it has
    found a network. Either close it (cancel) or ignore it.***

    At this point, you should be able to login to the router with Internet
    Explorer using http://192.168.2.1 and the admin/admin, user/password
    combination. If you can see this, you have a network connection that will
    work. Since you didn't specify what model Barricade you have, I have no clue
    whether your ADSL connection is on the end of a modem ethernet cable or
    whether it is built in to the Barricade. If it's from a ADSL modem, simply
    plug it in to the WAN socket on the Barricade, and the Barricade and modem
    will do the rest and give you an Internet connection. If it has an internal
    ADSL modem built-in, you'll have to navigate to the Router's ADSL setup page
    in order to put your account details in for your ISP so that the Router can
    login.

    If you've got this far, you should have the Internet on that one PC. Try
    http://www.bbc.co.uk first since it is the most reliable page on the
    internet.

    Now the 2nd PC. Simple, repeat from *** to *** above. Check you can access
    the internet on that one too as above. (NOTE: each PC's internet connection
    is independant of the other - I hope you didn't start dabbling with
    "Internet Connection Sharing "?)

    Next, local networking. I take it that both the XP32 and XP64 were left as
    setup from standard? In which case their workgroup name should be the same
    and their names unique and hopefully you know the administrator passwords of
    both right? Go to one machine (doesn't matter which) and assuming you now
    have a live network icon in your system tray of both systems, open Windows
    Explorer by RIGHT clicking on "My Computer" and choosing "Explore" (you need
    a split window with folders in the left pane). Click on the + sign to the
    left of "My Network Places" so that the folder expands and you should see
    "Entire Network". If you don't, don't click anything, just hit F5 on your
    keyboard to refresh the window (Windows Networking can be slow at times...).
    When you see it, click it's + sign to the left aswell and you should see 3
    icons expand out. Click the + to the left of "Microsoft Windows Network" and
    you should see your workgroup come up. Now click on the name itself and
    check that you can see both of your PCs in the right hand pane. Back to the
    left pane. Click the + next to the workgroup's name. Check that your 2 PCs
    expand out. Click on the OTHER machine from the one you are on. A login box
    will popup. Enter "Administrator" for the ID and the associated password for
    the other PC and hopefully that machine's drives should pop up. You did
    share them of course? (new shares - the default is no good).

    At this point, hopefully you will detect some kind of background activity
    going on in the explorer window, random "refreshes" etc... Go onto one of
    the other PC's drives in the right pane and drill down to a low ordered
    folder. Nip back and forth from folder to folder. Why am I getting you to do
    this? To hurry MS networking up that's why! Historically, it is very slow
    and beaurocratic during it's connection and discovery process. I've seen a
    machine take a full 10 minutes before it wakes up to the fact that "hey!
    there's another PC in my local network! doh!" Don't blame me, blame MS. I
    could bore you with a story about being on the MS beta team for WFWGv3.11 in
    another life long ago and a certain VERY useful little auxiliary mouse
    "busy" icon that represented background network activity, that got removed
    from the build. Why? "Cause it makes our networking look slow..."

    If you've stuck with me this far, you are either already connected or
    getting bored with my rambling so I'll shut up now :) Suffice to say, (and
    others have already alluded to it) when you first connect two windows PCs on
    a local LAN it can take an absolute AGE for all to settle down and to be
    able to see each other. (in terms of simple workgroup networking as opposed
    to being on a full domain)

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Dec 5, 2005
  16. I hope that you don't mind but I'm using this to respond to both Dominic and
    Colin - must find some time to sleep! I'm finding this to be extremely
    interesting and I'm most appreciative of all the support. Now that I'm
    retired I have the odd moment to fill - except in this case it's more like
    "how long is a piece of string"!

    Dominic:

    I started by saying - see later!

    Non of the setup programmes work for the Linksys NSLU2, Netgear SC101 or
    Silex SX2000U2 devices when attempted from x64 PC. Nor are they
    automatically configured by the DHCP from the router, which incidently
    consists of a combination of the SMC ADSL Barricade "g" model # SMC7804WBRA
    (answers one of Colin's concerns)

    Both the PCs are directly connected into 2 of the 4 ethernet connections
    with the remaining two connections shared with the Silex SX-2000U2 and a
    Trend model # TE100-S5P+ 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch that hosts the NETGEAR
    SC101 and the LINKSYS NSLU2 devices.

    So I'll obviously "need to access and configure them directly over the
    network as their set up programmes won't work on x64".

    I've managed to obtain the appropriate drivers for the printer and the
    Audigy sound card that replaces the onboard Multimedia Audio Controller.
    However, not managed to sort the Video Controller that I think is linked to
    the TV card that I failed to get to work under the original x32 environment -
    so not much lost their. The one really outstanding driver is for the HP
    ScanJet 5300C - I know there's a driver out there but haven't been able to
    download it from source yet !

    So it's down to the Scanner, Multimedia Video Controller and the Raid
    Controller that are listed in the Systems Device Manager - the latter can de
    dispensed with as there are viable alternative devices. The PCI device been
    updated so is no longer listed.

    Colin

    I'm sorry if I gave you cause for concern regarding the term "Wizard", it
    was used as shorthand for setting up the Network interfaces - in setting up
    the Network it's indicated that having setup one PC that by using the floppy
    the key characteristics are transferred from one PC to the other. Should I
    now re-setup the Network up independently for each PC, just to make sure? I
    don't know about network sharing not even sure how to do it either. That
    does raise the question of setting up the system under a domain name - but
    I've always avoided that as an option.

    You won't believe it guys but I just thought that I'd have another look at
    the nVidia upgrade that was listed earlier and - don't ask me why because I
    don't know the logic - but I re-installed it, the only thing different that
    there were a couple of original files that the installation process has
    always indicated that later versions were already installed, but this time I
    overwrote these two files and then all hell was let loose - getting sounds
    (blings) and the network indicator went berserk!!

    My entire network was listed - like magic.

    So just as I was about to go through the process that I'd used to set up the
    SMC ADSL ROUTER - which incidently was consistent with Colin's concise
    directions, I can now make it relative simple except it never is - is it.
    It's now down to access permissions and how they are resolved.

    So from the Primary PCx32 I have the following:

    When I look at the Network under the relevant workgroup:

    I can see the x64 PC and having set up sharing I can look at its Data Disk
    and view the files listed and other shared Docs etc.
    However, when I try to look at the Datafiles on the Primary PC i.e. itself I
    get:

    "\\PCx32\Datafiles on PCx32 is not accessible. You might not have
    permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
    server to find out if you have access permissions. .....and
    Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

    Comment - my operating account is the administrator - so no sense here and I
    have in the past followed up such a statement re server storage, which meant
    a delve into the registry - can't recall what meagre info the microsoft help
    faq indicated but I did increase a data value - clearly not the right
    solution.

    I get the same message for every resource directly linked to PCx32 even
    though permissions re sharing etc have been set.

    I can of course access the NETGEAR SC101 disks but not those Silex resources
    listed other than the ZIP drives, i.e. the other USB linked devices (DVD,
    memory card etc).

    I can access the LINKSYS unit and disks and what's more intersting ...
    is that I can see and interrogate the x64 Datadisk which I shared.

    Now moving onto the x64 machine, similar but different features here.

    Most though relate to the same error message regarding access rights, but
    this time they relate in the main to interrogating PCx32 rather than PCx64.
    Again PCx64 is operating at administrator level.

    I was going to be more specific, but as it's 03:30 here in the UK & I think
    it's time to call it a day - and I've got the feeling that PCx32 is a little
    unstable at the moment - and that's where I'm sending this from - which is
    the reason why I want to get the PCx64 up and running as I feel it's time to
    reload PCx32 Op software - which might have a bearing on access permissions
    but I doubt it as I've had access problems before when it was stable.

    I have taken a leaf out of the nVidia driver lesson and updated the drivers
    where I could on PCx32.

    Goodnight - I'll be back!

    BobG

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=, Dec 6, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    My irritation with regards to the Creative sound card, is that most of the
    accompanying applications aren't available for the 64-bit version. I use
    the app in 32 to record streaming from the sound card. It will skip the
    pauses I get due to the slow internet speed I have. Roxio 8 has the
    feature, but causes too many problems when installed to leave it. Half the
    support applications from Creative aren't available in the 64-bit page.

    John Barnes, Dec 6, 2005
  18. Files have to work together and sometimes older versions are required for
    things to work properly.

    For the scanner, see
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00367175&dlc=en&lang=en
    It looks as though you'll need a new scanner for x64.

    The Multimedia Video Controller will be the TV card.
    x64 drivers for these are scarce, but if you say what make and model it is
    there may be a workround.

    Some TV cards are very sensitive to the slot they are in and their position
    relative to the sound card. This may be why you couldn't get it to work with
    x86.

    Since your network is now operational, I'll let Colin advise you on problems
    with that.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 6, 2005
  19. Not spent too much time today - didn't get to bed till 05:20!

    After one or two glitches - I won't go into details - except that I somehow
    lost the x64 visibility of the Network, but it's now back to where I thought
    it was last night - just too many variations of nVidia upgrades!

    Currently the PCx64 can't access any links on PCx86 (using x86 instead 0f
    x32) through the PC itself, Data, Disks and other peripherals - same error
    message as before, which I quote:

    "\\PCx86\Files on PCx86 is not accessible. You might not have permission to
    use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
    out if you have access permissions." and "Not enough server storage is
    available to process this command".

    At least it can see and access its own files and structure more than PCx86
    can.

    It can also access The LINKSYS NSLU2 storage devices but does not now appear
    to access the NETGEAR storage devices (I though it did this morning - I'll
    reboot PCx86 after I've sent this response to see if that's the cause of the
    problem - been upgrading some of the PCx86 drivers today to see if I could
    improve access)

    Now, when I try to access any USB device linked to Silex SX-2000U2
    absolutely nothing is visible from PCx64. I can using internet explorer on
    192.168.2.1 look at the device and see the individual USB devices listed and
    their status, and in particular one statement that states "not connected".
    There's no way I can see at the moment a way to be able to link them to
    PCx64. I've tried printing for instance to no avail - just hangs and
    generates an error message. The issue here is that on PCx86 you have to
    invoke the SX virual link when any or all the devices are required. Once the
    virtual link is initiated, this enables the ability to instruct the PCx86 to
    make a connection to the relevant device. A positive instruction has to be
    given to disconnect so that an alternative PC can then take control via
    virtual link being initiated to enable the devices to be available to be
    connected to in this case PCx64. Of course all this is dependent on being
    able to invoke this link. So whilst explorer sees the devices from PCx64 it
    has no mechanism for taking control.

    As an asside is there a way to somehow see the global output of the IPs
    setup via the DHCP - the SMC ADSL Router sets up the IPs through the UPnP.
    This section in the SMC Barricade merely refers to Enable/Disable - clearly
    this is enabled in this case.

    When I check the status it gives lots of information but merely that there
    are 9 DHCP clients and that the Gateway starts at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and ends at
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    So where do I look and how is it done to set the up the IPs so that they in
    terms of SX-2000U2 can be "energised" in some way so that PCx64 can utilise
    their existence?

    Just a few points to ponder.

    BobG

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=, Dec 6, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkUm9vc3Rlcg==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Bob, sorry I've been a bit slow in replying...

    Can we just take a step back here and then take it a stage at a time and
    stop trying to get everything running at once please? You keep clouding the
    issues by talking about yet another device before you've got the previous
    one sorted out!

    You just can't network troubleshoot like that.

    > Not spent too much time today - didn't get to bed till 05:20!
    >
    > After one or two glitches - I won't go into details - except that I
    > somehow
    > lost the x64 visibility of the Network, but it's now back to where I
    > thought
    > it was last night - just too many variations of nVidia upgrades!
    >
    > Currently the PCx64 can't access any links on PCx86 (using x86 instead 0f
    > x32) through the PC itself, Data, Disks and other peripherals - same error
    > message as before, which I quote:

    Could we start by making a brief list of the devices and what they are
    please? (and if relevant exactly what OS is running on it?)

    You start talking about a "PCx86" then you start talking about an "x32"
    PC... are these one and the same? I'm getting lost here...

    Did you get the one XPx64 machine connected to the Internet, did you then
    get the XPx32 machine connected to the Internet, could you then see one from
    the other like I asked you to do??? I am not interested in all the other
    stuff right now. It's more important to get that established first.

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Dec 10, 2005