Failure to assign Gateway

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Neil Cameron, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Neil Cameron

    Neil Cameron Guest

    I friend of mine is having a problem connecting to a wireless network.
    He has a laptop and a desktop which he uses with the same Linksys USB
    802.11g wi-fi adapter.
    The router is also a Linksys - acting as a DHCP server.
    The laptop (Win XP SP2) connects fine.
    The desktop (Win XP SP1) with the same USB device, will find the network,
    obtain an IP address but not successfully resolve the Gateway address - as a
    result of which it does not network properly.

    Amazingly enough, IPCONFIG /ALL shows that the correct IP address (same as
    the Gateway) is shown for both DHCP and DNS servers, but it just won't
    resolve the Gateway address, which is just left blank.

    We have checked that there is no vestigial static Gateway address in his
    TCP/IP settings - but I don't know what else to try....

    Any ideas?

    --
    Neil

    Neil Cameron, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Neil Cameron

    Chris H. Guest

    You need to post to a Linksys support section, Neil. This newsgroup
    (broadbandnet.hardware) is where the Microsoft Broadband Networking hardware
    and software is supported. Check the Linksys web site, too.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Oct 30, 2005

  3. Neil Cameron

    Quaoar Guest

    >I friend of mine is having a problem connecting to a wireless network.
    > He has a laptop and a desktop which he uses with the same Linksys USB
    > 802.11g wi-fi adapter.
    > The router is also a Linksys - acting as a DHCP server.
    > The laptop (Win XP SP2) connects fine.
    > The desktop (Win XP SP1) with the same USB device, will find the
    > network, obtain an IP address but not successfully resolve the Gateway
    > address - as a result of which it does not network properly.
    >
    > Amazingly enough, IPCONFIG /ALL shows that the correct IP address
    > (same as the Gateway) is shown for both DHCP and DNS servers, but it
    > just won't resolve the Gateway address, which is just left blank.
    >
    > We have checked that there is no vestigial static Gateway address in
    > his TCP/IP settings - but I don't know what else to try....
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Neil

    What Linksys USB WiFi adapter is being used for both computers?
    Normally (that is, in *all* situations), one needs one wireless adapter
    per computer. Frankly, I can't figure out how to connect N devices to a
    single wireless adapter unless the user has connected to an USB hub;
    that definitely will not work.

    Quaoar, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Neil Cameron

    Neil Cameron Guest

    He switches the USB device between them as required; that point is not
    relevant except to say that it works on one and not the other...

    --
    Neil

    Neil Cameron, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Neil Cameron

    GTS Guest

    What does ipconfig /all show as the Node type?

    GTS, Oct 30, 2005