    drive. He says this has happened a few times recently. But it
    usually works on a second attempt. Could the hard drive be on the way
    out? Only about 2yrs old.
    GraB, Oct 6, 2004

  2. GraB

    Geronimo! Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:16:48 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >Went to visit a friend and witness his PC fail to detect a bootable
    >drive. He says this has happened a few times recently. But it
    >usually works on a second attempt. Could the hard drive be on the way
    >out? Only about 2yrs old.

    Could be the Power supply is dying so the drive is slow to boot up.

    See if your Bios has a boot delay option or set the Floppy Seek on in the
    Bios..

    This will sort of prove that the drive is slow to get upto speed, and could
    point to a PSU problem..
    Geronimo!, Oct 6, 2004

  3. GraB wrote:
    > Went to visit a friend and witness his PC fail to detect a bootable
    > drive. He says this has happened a few times recently. But it
    > usually works on a second attempt. Could the hard drive be on the way
    > out? Only about 2yrs old.

    check the PSU, and the PCU cables... I had one like this last week and
    it was just a dodgy PSU cable
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2004
  4. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 07 Oct 2004
    08:52:03 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz>
    says...
    > GraB wrote:
    > > Went to visit a friend and witness his PC fail to detect a bootable
    > > drive. He says this has happened a few times recently. But it
    > > usually works on a second attempt. Could the hard drive be on the way
    > > out? Only about 2yrs old.

    > check the PSU, and the PCU cables... I had one like this last week and
    > it was just a dodgy PSU cable

    Yeh we had a hard drive that randomly disappeared, it was a bad power
    connection. Could also be the hard drive cable.
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 7, 2004