Fails to detect CD and Slow startup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Reeve, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Paul Reeve

    Paul Reeve Guest

    Hi

    Having fixed my problems with importing old OE folders after a crash, I now
    find that the computer is not recognising the second CD in the BIOS. This
    could I suppose be a cable problem, but it was working fine yesterday and I
    haven't touched it gov, honest!

    Also windows XP is taking nearly a minute instead of 10-15 secs to go from
    the initial screen to the user sign on screen. No obvious reason at all.
    Then zonealarm starts up and tries to read the floppy drive!

    If anyone has any ideas I'd be extremely grateful.

    System Athlon 2600 Burton, asrock k7s8x, 256mb, new hitachi 80mb hdd
    partitioned in 2 with xp on one and w98 on 2nd, maxtor 80mb hdd, dvd drive
    and teac 68 cdr (which is the one not being recognised)

    TIA

    Paul
    Paul Reeve, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Paul Reeve

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:29:16 +0100, in
    <w7zhc.35337$Y%9.net>
    Paul Reeve scrawled:

    >Hi
    >
    >Having fixed my problems with importing old OE folders after a crash, I now
    >find that the computer is not recognising the second CD in the BIOS. This
    >could I suppose be a cable problem, but it was working fine yesterday and I
    >haven't touched it gov, honest!

    Then touch it now!

    >Also windows XP is taking nearly a minute instead of 10-15 secs to go from
    >the initial screen to the user sign on screen. No obvious reason at all.
    >Then zonealarm starts up and tries to read the floppy drive!
    >
    >If anyone has any ideas I'd be extremely grateful.

    Basic computer maintenance

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    WinPatrol
    http://www.winpatrol.com/

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/index.php
    http://www.kephyr.com/filedb/index.php
    http://www.reger24.de/processes.php

    Services Guide for Windows XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Windows XP Service Configurations
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    Windows XP Strange Service Information
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    Windows 2000 Service Configurations
    http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Paul Reeve

    Paul Reeve Guest

    thanks Mike

    Paul Reeve, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Paul Reeve

    Boomer Guest

    "Paul Reeve" <> wrote in

    > thanks Mike

    You posted 83 lines to say thanks?

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:29:16 +0100, in
    >> <w7zhc.35337$Y%9.net>
    >> Paul Reeve scrawled:
    >>
    >> >Hi
    >> >
    >> >Having fixed my problems with importing old OE folders after a
    >> >crash, I

    > now
    >> >find that the computer is not recognising the second CD in the
    >> >BIOS. This could I suppose be a cable problem, but it was
    >> >working fine yesterday and

    [snip]

    Boomer, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Paul Reeve

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > > thanks Mike

    > You posted 83 lines to say thanks?

    Yeah, well, it's not *HIS* server space being used up <g>
    Toolman Tim, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Paul Reeve

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.