failing power supply

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by -D-, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. -D-

    -D- Guest

    I have a Compaq 4500 Proliant Server (Quad Processor) running Win2K Server.
    Just yesterday, I got the following message when I had to reboot the
    machine.

    612 - Primary Power Supply Failure
    System Operating On Alternate Power Supply

    777 - Slot 5 Drive Array - Proliant Storage Enclosure Problem Detected
    SCSI Port 1: Redundant Power Supply Malfunction Detected

    I haven't done a lot of hardware repair with servers, so I wanted to obtain
    some experienced help regarding these error messages. I assume that the
    primary power supply is bad and I need to replace it.

    I can still boot-up the server and everything works fine. I'm running IIS
    and SQL Server on it and use it as my development and testing server.

    I just wanted any input from anyone who has encountered these messages and
    could confirm my assumption on the power supply. Or if it might be
    something else??

    Any input and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    -D-
    -D-, Aug 30, 2004

  2. -D-

    Mark Guest

    You probably have a redundent power supply...see if there are 2 power
    supplies. Most of them I have changed are hot swappable.

    Mark, Aug 30, 2004

  3. -D-

    -D- Guest

    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for replying to my post. I believe there are two internal power
    supplies. So, from the error messages, I have a bad primary power supply?
    Is there a way to tell when I open the box which is the bad power supply?
    Or, do I have to take both in to be tested and then get the replacement for
    the bad one? I've never replaced a power supply before, so I'm a little
    uncertain.

    Thanks again for your help.
    -D-

    -D-, Aug 30, 2004
  4. -D-

    MF Guest

    Check the server's docs or mfgr's website to determine which is primary - or
    check the wiring. Check the docs anyway - since you haven't done it before.
    Power supplies are *usually* a piece of cake to replace.

    MF, Aug 31, 2004
  5. -D-

    Dan Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:00:10 -0500, "-D-" <> wrote:

    >I have a Compaq 4500 Proliant Server (Quad Processor) running Win2K Server.
    >Just yesterday, I got the following message when I had to reboot the
    >machine.

    I've had very bad experiences with Compaq power supplies. I salvaged
    a Deskpro 4000 which my neighbor was throwing out a couple years ago
    (she left the hard drive intact, with all her sensitive files &
    everything....I personally didn't care, wiped the HD and installed NT4
    server...but I digress). It needed a new PS so I got one on ebay for
    $30. 18 months later that power supply also failed.

    Try and see if you can modify a generic power supply to the Compaq's
    power outputs. Compaq probably mixed the wire voltages so it's not a
    standard ATX pin-out, but sometimes you can get lucky. As long as it
    has +5, -5, +12, -12 and +3.3VDC you should be good to go....at least
    thats the way it _used_ to be :)

    Dan
    Dan, Sep 1, 2004