    Of course if there's mechanical problems within the drive then that probably
    wouldn't do a damn thing.

    Feedback appreciated.

    Mark Mandell, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Mark Mandell

    Thor Guest

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message
    news:vEK4d.1539$...
    > On one of my PC's I get periodic clicking followed by wheezing sounds
    > almost as if the HD is trying to kick into gear. When it happens
    > everything freezes on the screen. In addition I got a "disk write error"
    > BSOD message.
    >
    > So I would imagine this drive is going South and needs replacement unless
    > the product Spinrite 6.0 which I have might be able to resuscitate it by
    > fixing bad sectors.

    While spinrite is a hell of a good harddrive diagnostic tool, and can often
    retrieve data from failing sectors, it's not really something that is for
    fixing the problem long-term.

    > Of course if there's mechanical problems within the drive then that
    > probably wouldn't do a damn thing.

    depends on what the mechanical problems are. If it's just bad sectors, then
    spinrite can verify and mark them bad while attempting to move any data from
    the damaged area to a verified safe area. Still, as I said, it's not a
    long-term fix. Get the drive replaced.

    Thor, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Mark Mandell

    Bradley26 Guest

    thats correct, when you hear the disk clunk? its a gift if you can still get
    the data off afterwards

    there are basically 3 components, the digital interface, the servo
    electronics and the physical media/heads

    I think the clunk is the disk doing a recalibrate. definitely run any kind
    of diagnostic tool asap and get a new hard drive. then use this one knowing
    its wearing out

    Bradley26, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Mark Mandell

    mark mandel Guest

    "Bradley26" <> wrote in message
    > thats correct, when you hear the disk clunk? its a gift if you can still

    get
    > the data off afterwards
    >
    > there are basically 3 components, the digital interface, the servo
    > electronics and the physical media/heads
    >
    > I think the clunk is the disk doing a recalibrate. definitely run any

    kind
    > of diagnostic tool asap and get a new hard drive. then use this one

    knowing
    > its wearing out

    Interesting that when I run the diagnostic software that came with the
    drive(a WD)that it passes both the quick and extended tests just fine.
    However, when the clicking and wheezing kept going on for several minutes,
    the test got stuck and couldn't progress any further.

    mark mandel, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Mark Mandell

    Plato Guest

    mark mandel wrote:

    > Interesting that when I run the diagnostic software that came with the
    > drive(a WD)that it passes both the quick and extended tests just fine.
    > However, when the clicking and wheezing kept going on for several minutes,
    > the test got stuck and couldn't progress any further.

    The drive is bad.

    Plato, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Mark Mandell

    mark mandel Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > mark mandel wrote:
    > >
    > > Interesting that when I run the diagnostic software that came with the
    > > drive(a WD)that it passes both the quick and extended tests just fine.
    > > However, when the clicking and wheezing kept going on for several

    minutes,
    > > the test got stuck and couldn't progress any further.

    > The drive is bad.

    Actually WAS bad. It's now behaving itself though I acquired a new one just
    in case.............

    I think that this whole issue came up cause I had improper settings for the
    drive in the power management(set it to shut down after 25 minutes, then I'd
    keep going back online which would have caused an alternating expansion and
    contraction due to heat changes).

    mark mandel, Sep 25, 2004
  7. Mark Mandell

    Thor Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in message

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> mark mandel wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Interesting that when I run the diagnostic software that came with the
    >> > drive(a WD)that it passes both the quick and extended tests just fine.
    >> > However, when the clicking and wheezing kept going on for several

    > minutes,
    >> > the test got stuck and couldn't progress any further.

    >> The drive is bad.

    > Actually WAS bad. It's now behaving itself though I acquired a new one
    > just
    > in case.............

    most likely is still bad. The drive's own automatic bad sector replacement
    routine may have kicked in and swapped out the bad ones, but the problem
    still remains, but is now probably just hidden. I wouldn't put much trust in
    it after any read/write errors.

    > I think that this whole issue came up cause I had improper settings for
    > the
    > drive in the power management(set it to shut down after 25 minutes, then
    > I'd
    > keep going back online which would have caused an alternating expansion
    > and
    > contraction due to heat changes).

    shouldn't have caused the symptoms you reported. If it did, all the more
    reason to question the drive's reliability at this point.

    Thor, Sep 25, 2004
  8. Mark Mandell

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    >> minutes,
    >>>
    >>> The drive is bad.

    >> Actually WAS bad. It's now behaving itself though I acquired a new one
    >> just
    >> in case.............

    > most likely is still bad. The drive's own automatic bad sector replacement
    > routine may have kicked in and swapped out the bad ones, but the problem
    > still remains, but is now probably just hidden. I wouldn't put much trust
    > in it after any read/write errors.
    >

    >> I think that this whole issue came up cause I had improper settings for
    >> the
    >> drive in the power management(set it to shut down after 25 minutes, then
    >> I'd
    >> keep going back online which would have caused an alternating expansion
    >> and
    >> contraction due to heat changes).

    > shouldn't have caused the symptoms you reported. If it did, all the more
    > reason to question the drive's reliability at this point.

    Thanks for the feedback. I've since acquired another drive and will install
    it soon.

    Mark Mandell, Sep 25, 2004