    effect--all empty, except the 4 corners showing "safe mode". Have no win
    cd to repair or reinstall. What else can I do? Thanks for any advice.

    Ken

    Ken, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Ken

    philo Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > First win xp pro did not work smoothly. Then did a system restore. After
    > that it failed to boot completely. It freezed after the win logo appeared
    > for a few seconds. The screen became all empty. Safe mode had the same
    > effect--all empty, except the 4 corners showing "safe mode". Have no win
    > cd to repair or reinstall. What else can I do? Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > Ken

    to perform a repair installtion you
    will have to get the XP cd
    it's that simple

    philo, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Ken

    Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:33:24 GMT, "Ken" <> wrote:

    |> First win xp pro did not work smoothly. Then did a system restore. After
    |> that it failed to boot completely. It freezed after the win logo appeared
    |> for a few seconds. The screen became all empty. Safe mode had the same
    |> effect--all empty, except the 4 corners showing "safe mode". Have no win
    |> cd to repair or reinstall. What else can I do? Thanks for any advice.

    You can hit the F8 repeatedly while booting up and selecting the last
    known working config and see how that works.

    While this does work, I'm not sure what registry it will restore. The
    last good config before the restore, or last good config when stored.

    --

    , Dec 10, 2004
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Tried last good config but no luck. Thank you.

    Ken, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Ken

    Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:16:54 GMT, "Ken" <> wrote:

    |> Tried last good config but no luck.

    One other option seeing as you don't have or can borrow an XP CD.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 very wordy article telling you,
    you can restore a back'd up registry; by popping into a DOS prompt as
    long as you don't use NTFS any boot disk will get you there.

    move everything in windows\system32\config somewhere.
    copy everything in windows\repair\ to windows\system32\config
    reboot.

    If you've never back'd up your registry you will be reverted to the very
    first time you installed XP.

    All this assumes the registry is a problem; bad, missing files or a
    virus this won't fix.

    If that doesn't work, Linux users would call this a perfect opportunity
    :)

    --

    , Dec 10, 2004
  6. Ken

    Plato Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > First win xp pro did not work smoothly. Then did a system restore. After
    > that it failed to boot completely. It freezed after the win logo appeared
    > for a few seconds. The screen became all empty. Safe mode had the same
    > effect--all empty, except the 4 corners showing "safe mode". Have no win
    > cd to repair or reinstall. What else can I do? Thanks for any advice.

    Any pc user should have a real CD for the os they are using.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 10, 2004